OEM LC Parts

A place for LC enthusiasts to hang out!

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

Hooligan

OEM LC Parts

#1 Post by Hooligan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:04 pm

Ordered some OEM fork seals for my 4L0 from local Yamaha dealer.

Holy Carp was that a task. This dealer is the biggest in the city and they didn't have any easy access to a digital fiche. All the parts guys kept wanting to use the US based digital fiches but the LC was never sold in the US so it doesn't appear in the fiche systems.

It finally took an older, more experienced parts tech to find the part number. And then he wasn't sure what comes in the package.

I was after fork seals and the price for the part number is $40. I ordered two. So I will either get a pair of ludicrously expensive seals or I will get two sets of fairly expensive seals. I won't know for a couple weeks till the parts arrive.

Unfortunately for stuff like fork and engine seals we don't really have a lot of choice as the aftermarket parts are not very good.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

2smoke

Re: OEM LC Parts

#2 Post by 2smoke » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:44 pm

I look up all my own part numbers.
Just go to rd350lc.net

http://www.rd350lc.net/RD350LC-4L0-82eng.pdf
And the dealer will tell you if the number has changed or still available.
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

pearljam724

#3 Post by pearljam724 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Fork seals can be bought for any mass produced bike, in a lot of places. There are good aftermarket seals available. Worst case scenario, if you come across junk aftermarkets. They are cheap to replace. I've bought a few sets of cheapo aftermarkets for other vintage bikes and never had a problem with them. They only cost me around 10 bucks. The big thing, is inserting them in the correct direction and keeping your tubes somewhat clean. Some items as you mentioned are important to buy oem. Fork seals isn't one of them.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#4 Post by two-stroke-brit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:09 pm

I feel your pain hooligan :smt021 .
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

Hooligan

#5 Post by Hooligan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:14 am

pearljam724 wrote:Fork seals can be bought for any mass produced bike, in a lot of places. There are good aftermarket seals available. Worst case scenario, if you come across junk aftermarkets. They are cheap to replace. I've bought a few sets of cheapo aftermarkets for other vintage bikes and never had a problem with them. They only cost me around 10 bucks. The big thing, is inserting them in the correct direction and keeping your tubes somewhat clean. Some items as you mentioned are important to buy oem. Fork seals isn't one of them.
I've had two sets of fork seals from Yambits and they fricken bleed oil constantly. Super annoying! With the work required to replace them I'd rather spend a few bucks to have a set that actually works.
'85 FZ750

pearljam724

#6 Post by pearljam724 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:34 am

Hooligan wrote:
pearljam724 wrote:Fork seals can be bought for any mass produced bike, in a lot of places. There are good aftermarket seals available. Worst case scenario, if you come across junk aftermarkets. They are cheap to replace. I've bought a few sets of cheapo aftermarkets for other vintage bikes and never had a problem with them. They only cost me around 10 bucks. The big thing, is inserting them in the correct direction and keeping your tubes somewhat clean. Some items as you mentioned are important to buy oem. Fork seals isn't one of them.
I've had two sets of fork seals from Yambits and they fricken bleed oil constantly. Super annoying! With the work required to replace them I'd rather spend a few bucks to have a set that actually works.
I feel ya, on that. A set should last for a long time. Just stating that I have never had a problem with aftermarket seals. I've used Bikemaster, All Balls, etc. Knock on wood never had a problem. A tiny pit of rust on fork tubes, can be the devil regarding fork seals of any make. A lot of times, it's just that. Dirt gets pushed into the seals, tiny rust pits that we may not see cut away at the seals given time. That can happen to any brand name. But, there is junk out there for sure.

L.B

#7 Post by L.B » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:56 am

I went through the dealers etc for oem parts & got sick of being ripped off.
Bob_yp is one of my go to guys now. Most everything rz or lc ill get through him. If he's not advertising it ill email him & 90% of the time he can find it & at pretty damn good prices too. Easy peasy to deal with.

nokturnal
-----
-----

#8 Post by nokturnal » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:10 am

2smoke wrote:I look up all my own part numbers.
Just go to rd350lc.net

http://www.rd350lc.net/RD350LC-4L0-82eng.pdf
And the dealer will tell you if the number has changed or still available.
+1

I don't even think about calling the dealer without the part number in hand. Most don't have a clue.
:smt017

solo 2

#9 Post by solo 2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Hey if the fork seals in your LC are leaking it's because they are the OEMs. I can't remember if I replaced the OEMs on your bike, but I know a brand new set of frickin expensive OEMs leaked instantly. I buy nothing but Pyramid seals now, 3 sets and haven't had an issue, plus you can buy 4 sets for the price of the OEMs. Just sayin.

Hooligan

#10 Post by Hooligan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:51 pm

solo 2 wrote:Hey if the fork seals in your LC are leaking it's because they are the OEMs. I can't remember if I replaced the OEMs on your bike, but I know a brand new set of frickin expensive OEMs leaked instantly. I buy nothing but Pyramid seals now, 3 sets and haven't had an issue, plus you can buy 4 sets for the price of the OEMs. Just sayin.
Hmmmm. The original set leaked badly so I replaced them with a set from Yambits which did basically the same thing. With all the Yambits bills I assumed you had gotten them fr there.

At the cost of the OEM ones I just bought, I hope they don't leak. Silverstrom always harps about using OEM which is why I went that route. If they leak I'll send him the bill. :)
'85 FZ750

Hooligan

#11 Post by Hooligan » Thu May 08, 2014 1:46 pm

So the mystery parts finally came in. Each "kit" only contained a single fork seal making the end price a wee bit eye watering at $41 per seal.

I am going to be sending the forks down to a professional to make sure everything is in spec and prob get some damping work done. If I am paying over $40 for a fork seal I want them to work and last for as long as possible.
'85 FZ750

Bare

#12 Post by Bare » Fri May 09, 2014 12:47 am

Norbo sells those for 11 gbp's a Pair.

silverstrom

#13 Post by silverstrom » Fri May 09, 2014 12:50 am

Hooligan wrote: Hmmmm. The original set leaked badly so I replaced them with a set from Yambits which did basically the same thing. With all the Yambits bills I assumed you had gotten them fr there.

At the cost of the OEM ones I just bought, I hope they don't leak. Silverstrom always harps about using OEM which is why I went that route. If they leak I'll send him the bill. :)
Yambits fork seals are shit. Used them on my painter's bike (not my idea) and they leaked instantly. Absolute garbage.

I've never had Yamaha fork seals leak. Ever. Just ordered a pair for my TZR last week. $16.46 each.

If your new Yamaha seals leak you're just unlucky. Make sure they aren't rock hard from sitting on some shelf forever. If they are hard, don't pay for them and insist on replacements.

Hooligan

#14 Post by Hooligan » Fri May 09, 2014 12:14 pm

silverstrom wrote:
Hooligan wrote: I've never had Yamaha fork seals leak. Ever. Just ordered a pair for my TZR last week. $16.46 each.

If your new Yamaha seals leak you're just unlucky. Make sure they aren't rock hard from sitting on some shelf forever. If they are hard, don't pay for them and insist on replacements.
These seals seem OK. I have not opened the packages but they don't feel like they have hardened up.

Where do you order your OEM parts from? I went to Blackfoot Motorsports here in town and the prices are eye watering.

I talked with a local mechanic and he suggested the lower bushing may be worn which allows the inner tube to flex slightly in the outer tube which then wreaks havoc with the seal. I have a second set of forks so I think I am gonna look at mixing and matching parts to get the best possible fit between inner and outer tubes before I install these uber expensive seals.
'85 FZ750

OldTZracer

#15 Post by OldTZracer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:21 am

I've never had a problem with Yamaha seals. If I see any rock chips in the tubes, I run a stone over them so they don't damage the seal lip...
"...its a 2-stroke ya twit - Its supposed to smoke..."