LC trannie oil

A place for LC enthusiasts to hang out!

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

LC Cnd
-----
-----

LC trannie oil

#1 Post by LC Cnd » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Found this stuff that was recommended for wet clutches. This season of riding will tell to see how good it is. $19 per litre. Tech info link fm Belray re the oil: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... sEa7REOxOW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_3945.JPG (71.93 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
IMG_3946.JPG
IMG_3946.JPG (114.99 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

evan_calgary

Re: LC trannie oil

#2 Post by evan_calgary » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:50 pm

JASO MA is the certification for wet motorcycle clutches. I see BelRay has further made a distinction that JASO MA2 may be better.

I believe I put a bottle of this in my TZR. I had clutch slip issues but I believe it was ultimately the springs not the oil.

As I am sure Rory will confirm, we are dealing with old tech clutches that are fine with straight car dino oil as was recommended by factory. The incremental benefit is essentially nil unless you had clutch slip issues.

MK

#3 Post by MK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Use it for decades and it definitively cures light cases of clutch slip.

With standard 10W30 engine oil it had problems from time to time.
Motul transoil made a formerly working gearbox shifting hard and not fully separating the clutch when standing with pulled lever.
Exchanging it with the proven BelRay restored the former state immedeately. Since then I'm not fond of experiments.

Get out your popcorn for the "I use xxx and it's the best"
Bye
Martin

evan_calgary

#4 Post by evan_calgary » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:44 pm

I would take MK's comments and call this thread closed as that guy knows what he is talking about!

The thing is, you are coming down to such infinitesimal marginal improvements if you do not already have a problem. If it makes you feel good, go to town.

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#5 Post by LC Cnd » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Forms are open discussion - are they not? You can add your two cents worth or popcorn or not. Just sharing what I learnt in hopes that it may save someone time and money. Anyone can take it or leave it. Jury is still out on how well it works as 1st mentioned. We'll see if I'll purchase the oil was a wise decision - or not. Going to town to purchase popcorn cause I like the stuff & read others points of view. Best part of this form.

MK

#6 Post by MK » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Well, I was referring to the fact that everybody always seems to be fond of having "the best" and not "something that's proven to work".

Light SAE80 gearbox oil works fine. I have used BelRay and Putoline in the past without issues.
In "perfect" engines it doesn't matter and you can pour in pretty much every Greek Olive Oil you want.

The fun starts with warped steel plates, worn friction plates, weak springs or simply adding a 100 hp cheetah cub.
In direct comparison for such cases the BelRay was better than standard 4 stroke 10W30 or 40 oil. Not more, not less.
Bye
Martin

hondaror

#7 Post by hondaror » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:31 am

I used the Bel-Ray 80w for years. It was a natural crossover from motocross. Anti frothing agents. It took me a couple of years to switch.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

evan_calgary

#8 Post by evan_calgary » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 pm

LC Cnd wrote:Forms are open discussion - are they not? You can add your two cents worth or popcorn or not. Just sharing what I learnt in hopes that it may save someone time and money. Anyone can take it or leave it. Jury is still out on how well it works as 1st mentioned. We'll see if I'll purchase the oil was a wise decision - or not. Going to town to purchase popcorn cause I like the stuff & read others points of view. Best part of this form.
My comment was more on MK's expertise and wasn't meant to be taken so literally.

Yes you can share an opinion as everyone does when it comes to oil threads.

The oil companies have been very successful in lightening wallets with their expensive oils which are likely overkill unless you are already experiencing problems or just want to feel good about it. In which case, more power to you.

Edit: I am running this same oil in my TZR as i was experience clutch slippage which was fixed with replaced springs and new oil with the springs likely being the culprit.

Bare

#9 Post by Bare » Sat May 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Simple stoopid GL4 gear oil from Cdn Tire.... works Fine.. period.
There's even a synth version for those that must have synth.
GL4 rating means clutch friction compatible (limited slips)