Cheap LED indicator conversion for RDLC Bike

A place for LC enthusiasts to hang out!

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

Oiler

Cheap LED indicator conversion for RDLC Bike

#1 Post by Oiler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:29 am

I posted this yesterday but realised it was on the wrong thread so here it is...

Today i decided to fit my LED lights to my RDLC project bike... now because im a tight Arse i thought i would try do it on the cheap without changing the RDLC style or indicator holders. This means all the modes are internal to the original units.

Parts needed :
1 x LED relay unit $15 off ebay
4 x globes out of current bike or go see an auto electrician and scrounge the old blown ones ($0.00)
4 x LED indicators (your choice) - mine cost me about $8.00 each off an 12V LED site a few years back ($32.00)

Instructions:

1 - Break the globe and clean out
2 - Use small drill and drill whole through bottom to place 1 side of the wire circuit (care required as i broke 2 old globes being a little heavy handed and cost me $4.41 for 2 new globes)
3 - Drill another hole high up on the side of the globe mantle to attach the other wire so it wont foul when you push it into the socket
4 - Solder in the wires
5 - Fit the light into the existing socket
6 - Rotate the indicator lights to face up as you need to center and secure the LED (depending which way you go with the lights)
7 - Secure in place and hold with tap until set (2 hours)
8 - Rotate indicators back into original position down, clean the lense and fit cover back on
6 - Replace the LED relay

Tdarr...Away you go.
Attachments
photo-33.jpg
photo-33.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 954 times
indicator 2.JPG
indicator 2.JPG (67.2 KiB) Viewed 954 times
indicators 1.JPG
indicators 1.JPG (74.77 KiB) Viewed 954 times