RZ/RD 350 & Misc. 2-Stroke Tech BBS

Technical Forums for Two-Stroke Nuts
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:52 am 

RuZty wrote:
Darrell wrote:
....... Did you have to do any shimming or bushing with the 10 mm bolt to mate properly with the frame?

Sounds like you already know the answer. Once again, all of these pics are in my build thread, toward the end. Hate to keep double posting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:50 pm 

Nice work! I don't have the tools (or skills) to fabricate parts like that, but perhaps some 12 mm OD x 10 mm ID bushing material can be made to work.

Boring the existing bushings of the R1 shock isn't going to work. I measured the total thickness of the bushings at the o-ring groove at 11.5 mm. So boring to 12 mm will remove the material inboard of the o-ring grooves. That might work, leaving a gap inside the shock's bearing, but I'll leave that to someone else to try first. And here I thought this was a "bolt on" alteration. Hah!

2000 Kawasaki KDX
1999 Fantic K'Roo
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z
Zastava Black Arrow .50 BMG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 pm 

Thanks to Smoker for showing the way on the top of the shock. I've ordered some 14 mm bronze bushing material with a 10 mm bore. I'll turn that down to 12 mm through the frame and over the 10 mm bolt. I'll do it slightly differently than Smoker did, one flanged bushing on each side of the shock.
I also threaded the bolt portion of the lower eye up just a bit further, and cut away a little bit of alloy to allow the eyelet to screw in a few millimeters deeper. I tried to cut just enough so that the eyelet would jamb against the lower shock body in alignment with the top eyelet, but failed to get that right. So I'm thinking one or two copper crush washers between the shock body and the eyelet should bring it into pretty close alignment and still provide for jam.
I don't want to take the old shock out until Toomey sends my new pipes (waiting about five weeks so far) and I'll turn the new bushings at that time.

Attachments:
IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2571.JPG [ 53.54 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
IMG_2573.JPG
IMG_2573.JPG [ 54.63 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]

2000 Kawasaki KDX
1999 Fantic K'Roo
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:04 pm 

tacky1 wrote:
RuZty wrote:
What does this entire page have to do with a 2015 R1 shock install?

Nothing... :smt044

Just a little bit of fun...

On a side note, Is it not a lot easier to just pop in an R6 shock, It practically fits with just a few mods, No welding etc etc etc.

Doesn't the R6 shock require mods to the frame?

I have a lathe and mill in m garage so mods to small parts are no problem for me. :smt003

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 pm 
-----
-----

The frame mods are minor, and a little bit of filing on the shock body might even negate the need. Worth checking before cutting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 pm 

The R6 shock is a skosh bit longer than stock. I guess a lot of guys are happy with the taller rear end and the resulting shorter trail, but I think the ol' RZ already turns pretty well. My R1 shock is ready to install, but I'm waiting until a set of Toomey pipes arrive, assuming that they will someday. I'm getting the old two-week-out runaround. I'm a patient guy, and would have been cool with them telling me that the wait was going to be two months, but I hate to be lied to. The R1 shock will be a few millimeters taller, and not being Rossi or Marquez, I probably won't notice that difference. It's also valved for a heavier bike, but I try to make up for that by eating a lot. I have an R6 shock on the shelf next to the R1 shock, so I can always go that route if the R1 shock doesn't work out as I want.
Prime riding weather here in NW Washington is going to be gone in three weeks or so, and I'd really like to get the pipes and shock installed. I plan to take the bike to a dyno and have it checked with the stock pipes, the Toomey's, and a set of Spec II's, not that that has anything to do with this string.
Hooligan, I have a small lathe / mill, too, but mostly I make scrap metal with it.

2000 Kawasaki KDX
1999 Fantic K'Roo
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:49 am 

Hooligan wrote:
tacky1 wrote:
RuZty wrote:
What does this entire page have to do with a 2015 R1 shock install?

Nothing... :smt044

Just a little bit of fun...

On a side note, Is it not a lot easier to just pop in an R6 shock, It practically fits with just a few mods, No welding etc etc etc.

Doesn't the R6 shock require mods to the frame?

I have a lathe and mill in m garage so mods to small parts are no problem for me. :smt003

I spent more time cutting the chain guard then the frame, also the rear fender.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6