Need advice with custom build, rz engine alignment!

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

KennyBarroz

Need advice with custom build, rz engine alignment!

#1 Post by KennyBarroz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:27 am

Hi guys! So iam currently working on my tz replica build. Iam now in the process of making the rear engine mount. I have looked on some other builds just to get some inspiration, but iam kind of stuck since i got two ideas that i haven't got any feedback on regarding if i should do this or that.

So my situation iam struggling with is basically this:

1: I would install the engine so it sits in the center of the frame, but then i need to get an offset sprocket to align correctly with the rear sprocket.

2: position the engine more to the left so the sprockets align perfect from the start, but the engine will no longer be in center of the frame.

My imagination tells me that if i go for nr1, get the engine centered inside the frame, i get a better outcome when i need to work with the engine while its installed to the frame, and the geometry is most likely better with the weight balance?

If i would go with nr2, the front sprocket would not be a problem sourcing, but the engine would sit far more to the left which would give more weight to the left, it would also be a little harder to work with the engine while being installed to the frame.

What do you guys think??

This is an old picture just to show how i check the alignment.
Last edited by KennyBarroz on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RD350 F2 -87: SETUP :
Stock 65mm barrels, TSS YPVS kit, 0,9squish, Vforce3 reeds, stock intake for Vforce3 reeds, 28mm PWK custom made for oilpump and vacuum line, jets 120/40, modified airbox, Zeeltronic PCDI-10V - Custom curve

uncledirty

Re: Need advice with custom build, rz engine alignment!

#2 Post by uncledirty » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:59 am

I'd opt for having the engine centered and go with the offset sprocket. The cush drive could always be machined down if you can't source a sprocket with the correct offset. Looks like there is plenty of material to turn down that cush drive. TSS make a 18mm offset sprocket and make up the difference by turning down the cush.

Cool project!

nokturnal
-----
-----

#3 Post by nokturnal » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:47 am

TZ frame?
:smt017

mkane

#4 Post by mkane » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:06 pm

Those output shaft's must be strong. Would a bearing support be needed?

KennyBarroz

#5 Post by KennyBarroz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:51 pm

uncledirty wrote:I'd opt for having the engine centered and go with the offset sprocket. The cush drive could always be machined down if you can't source a sprocket with the correct offset. Looks like there is plenty of material to turn down that cush drive. TSS make a 18mm offset sprocket and make up the difference by turning down the cush.

Cool project!
Thanks for your input, i have decided to go with that option too. makes more sense really to just modify the driveline to fit correctly rather then make the engine align off the center in the frame but have the driveline fixed from the start.
nokturnal wrote:TZ frame?
No its a 4SU frame, thats why its called TZ Replica build ;)
mkane wrote:Those output shaft's must be strong. Would a bearing support be needed?
I have not made research on that part actually, but how would you make support for that sprocket?

Stock 65mm barrels, TSS YPVS kit, 0,9squish, Vforce3 reeds, stock intake for Vforce3 reeds, 28mm PWK custom made for oilpump and vacuum line, jets 120/40, modified airbox, Zeeltronic PCDI-10V - Custom curve

mkane

#6 Post by mkane » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Make a plate that houses the bearing. This should mount outside of the sprocket. Real common on Norton gearboxes bit the output shaft really hangs outside the gearbox. Myself, I don't know if the RZ needs this.

RuZty
-----
-----

#7 Post by RuZty » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:42 am

I think if you use a heavier piece of rope for your centerline all your problems will go away. :smt002

Nice build, I will enjoy watching this one.

KennyBarroz

#8 Post by KennyBarroz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:36 am

mkane wrote:Make a plate that houses the bearing. This should mount outside of the sprocket. Real common on Norton gearboxes bit the output shaft really hangs outside the gearbox. Myself, I don't know if the RZ needs this.
I think i understand what you mean, Ill see what i can come up with!

RuZty wrote:I think if you use a heavier piece of rope for your centerline all your problems will go away. :smt002

Nice build, I will enjoy watching this one.
Hehe i think you might be right on that point :smt023

Thanks, ill see if i will put out a project thread.

These offset sprockets, TSS are quite expensive and shipment costs are quite high (are they still a running business?)
Anyone have any tip on where in the UK they provide these sprockets??

crazydiablo

#9 Post by crazydiablo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:07 am

you can also get offset sprockets from FFTP in US. Talon in UK will make custom offset sprockets for you.
1984 RZ350 YPVS 31K
1987 RD350 A/C
2009 Husqvarna SM610

crazydiablo

#10 Post by crazydiablo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:42 am

Another source for the offset sprockets:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/ ... Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am at the same exact juncture with a rZ motor in a 4DL frame. Every frame has its nuances and the engine position is different. For me the engine has to be moved to the right to align the sprocket. For most 4DL projects, I see that this has been the approach. I don't think the RZ engine is mounted exactly centred on the frame on any of these conversions.
1984 RZ350 YPVS 31K
1987 RD350 A/C
2009 Husqvarna SM610

gus

#11 Post by gus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:56 am

cool project, put the motor in the center of the frame tell me what offset you want and what teeth I will make it for you if you need it

sped3540

#12 Post by sped3540 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:59 pm

Check Ebay for a Banshee Transmission Bearing Support. A good friend of mine used one on his banshee powered dragbike!

dusty350

#13 Post by dusty350 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi,
I had a Tzr125r 4dl belgarda that used virtually the same frame. My pv motor was pretty central in the frame. A spacer had been made for the sprocket carrier, allowing the rear sprocket to be spaced outwards to help sort the chain run;

Dusty :smt002