If you haven't tried it, you should

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

pearljam724

Re: If you haven't tried it, you should

#16 Post by pearljam724 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 pm

b-bike393 wrote:
pearljam724 wrote:UPDATE - Don't use this stuff on your wheels guys. It is extremely durable and the finish looks very nice. However, for some reason oil from the pipes can not be wiped off. For some odd reason, once it gets on the PlastiDip. It's there to stay. Shame, cause it is very durable and extremely easy to use. I'm gonna have to spray them with some real quality paint. I thought oil, dirt, grime would wipe off easily with this stuff. I was wrong. I'm going to experiment with some other cleaners. But, as of now. Degreaser, rubbing alcohol or water doesn't work.
Do you think it might help if after you put the PlastiDip on the wheels (allowing enough time to properly cure) you sprayed some Non-Stick Pam to make clean up of the exhaust oil possible?
Just thinking out loud.
I have another update. Originally, when I tried to clean the wheels for the first time. I didn't scrub very hard with anything that was mildly abrasive. The paint cured for 2 weeks. Yesterday, they looked so dirty I decided to up the any so to speak. To see what might possibly clean them and to see just how durable the paint really is. I used the type of dish sponge that has an abrasive scouring pad on one side. The scouring side cleaned away all dirt and oil scrubbing somewhat aggressively. The sponge side, easily cleared it all away after I scrubbed aggressively with the scouring side. I wasn't being aggressive enough during my first attempts. Being afraid, the paint would not hold up to the abuse. But, I found out that it's much tougher than I imagined and it is cleanable. But, unlike real paint with a smoother surface. The oil from the pipes sticks very well to the PlastiDip's rougher surface. I like your suggestion on the Non Stick Spam. I'm gonna give that a try and see if it aids in cleaning.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 527 times