Proper technique to bed in new front brake pads?

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Evans Ward
-----
-----

Proper technique to bed in new front brake pads?

#1 Post by Evans Ward » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 am

Curious to hear how some of you bed in new front brake pads. I've just installed a set (HH pads with used gold spot R1 calipers (cleaned/ rebuilt) w/ used R1 rotors) and haven't ridden it yet to test and bed them in. I've done some research on the innerwebs but trust the collective here. Care to share? :smt004 :smt006
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

T.RexRacing

Re: Proper technique to bed in new front brake pads?

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:29 am

I just ride and go a little easy on the pads to avoid overheating and scoring for 10 miles or so. If someone pulls in front of you use 'em but I just give a little time to mate with the rotors. Then I'll speed up a bit and apply increasing pressure and speed down a remote stretch of road. You can feel them get stronger. Just avoid overheating and the glaze it causes. If ya glaze 'em remove the pads,sand it off and start over.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#3 Post by Evans Ward » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:45 am

^ Thanks Michael. That sounds good. Hope it can cool down enough to want to go out and test ride in my area!
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

ricar

#4 Post by ricar » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Evans Ward wrote:^ Thanks Michael. That sounds good. Hope it can cool down enough to want to go out and test ride in my area!

Oh to have such problems...
84 RZ. Half naked, SpecIIs, GSXR front end, FZ swingarm, SV rear wheel, trail tech speedo/tach

T.RexRacing

#5 Post by T.RexRacing » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 am

Be careful what you wish for my friend.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#6 Post by Evans Ward » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:06 am

ricar wrote:
Evans Ward wrote:^ Thanks Michael. That sounds good. Hope it can cool down enough to want to go out and test ride in my area!

Oh to have such problems...
:smt018