Which Steering Damper?

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

JonW

Re: Which Steering Damper?

#31 Post by JonW » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:19 pm

The ones not to buy are the cheapo nasty chinese units that are copies of the daytona etc. Ive been told they wre horrible and the build qwality is shocking, and of course ebay is full of them.

Personally Ive only ever bought Hyperpro and Arrow dampers, and for my riding they were amazing when needed, so long as you had them adjusted right at the time. incorrect adjustment in a good damper is worse than a cheapo set up right...
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

Amboyy

#32 Post by Amboyy » Tue May 12, 2015 12:32 pm

If you are a racer on the track or road and you've set the suspension to the nth degree within the limitations of frame/shocks,/forks/wheels/ and tires and the bike shakes its head, a dampener is probably a benefit. Short of that - with a proper(stock)chassis - a dampener is a bit of "wrist jewelry(bling).

You'd accomplish more considering the situations you mentioned at the top of this thread, with a modern set of caged ball bearings and a set of steering stop screws, after properly sizing front and rear tires, making sure the frame and steering head are straight, the forks work flawlessly with no slop, the rear swinger and axle are tight and aligned, and the rear shock isn't knackered.

Cheers.

Steve

Consciousness

#33 Post by Consciousness » Sat May 16, 2015 9:17 am

Amboyy wrote:If you are a racer on the track or road and you've set the suspension to the nth degree within the limitations of frame/shocks,/forks/wheels/ and tires and the bike shakes its head, a dampener is probably a benefit. Short of that - with a proper(stock)chassis - a dampener is a bit of "wrist jewelry(bling).

You'd accomplish more considering the situations you mentioned at the top of this thread, with a modern set of caged ball bearings and a set of steering stop screws, after properly sizing front and rear tires, making sure the frame and steering head are straight, the forks work flawlessly with no slop, the rear swinger and axle are tight and aligned, and the rear shock isn't knackered.

Cheers.

Steve
Turns out my rear shock was knackered, blew out the other day on the motocross track that is NYC, almost spring-boarded me over the handlebars. It's a twin clicker so it's off to Fox for a rebuild, i'll check the other area's you mentioned.

Cheers
85 RZ350 KR. Racetech/Fox Motul 10W. Telefix, Prog. Zeel, VForce4's, VM30 Mik's Uni-Filters & UFOs, Grooved Head & Mild Port w/Boyesen's by Rich's Taylor'd Porting, Orig. Toomeys, Redline, Conti Attack2.

Amboyy

#34 Post by Amboyy » Sat May 16, 2015 12:20 pm

:smt023

Steve

Consciousness

#35 Post by Consciousness » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:44 pm

Well i bit the bullet and although i didn't go all out with an Ohlins or Scotts i feel the HyperPro strikes a nice balance although not cheap either.

140 MM CSC - GOLD $255.00

The mounting kits for these are insanely expensive so i had to come up with a set of clamps to do the job, i already had the fork clamp that came with the bike sans damper so all i need were the frame clamp and the damper clamp, trouble is i wanted gold to go with the damper and it seems it is impossible to buy them separately so i ordered a Chinese mount kit for $37 that has the part i need along with a 7/8 bar clamp which looks like it should work.

With the emulators going in i wanted to finish off with a little more gold bling so scored some preload adjuster knobs for the preload adjusters on eBay for $3, the smallest i could find were 14mm so after a little searching found these 14mm RC hub adapters that come with a set screw which will match up nicely with the little divot in the 8mm hex on the top of the preload adjuster, i believe the internal hole is 6mm so i will have to drill or file it out a little.

85 RZ350 KR. Racetech/Fox Motul 10W. Telefix, Prog. Zeel, VForce4's, VM30 Mik's Uni-Filters & UFOs, Grooved Head & Mild Port w/Boyesen's by Rich's Taylor'd Porting, Orig. Toomeys, Redline, Conti Attack2.

JonW

#36 Post by JonW » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:04 am

Hyperpro make nice dampers, good work on finding parts to work for your setup.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

L.B

#37 Post by L.B » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:59 am

Yeah thats a nice lil improvement group right there!

Consciousness

#38 Post by Consciousness » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:26 am

Yeah it took while to figure it all out along with a few beers to ease the pain of throwing more money at this girl, she's got expensive taste but the rewards are worth it, heck it's one hell of a ride!

Got some sticky rubber delivered yesterday too, in fact it's so sticky i hope they don't turn my frame into an elastic band.

I see some track days in the near future :smt026