Stock RZ rear suspension geometry help

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Slug

Stock RZ rear suspension geometry help

#1 Post by Slug » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:24 am

I am working on swapping an RZ350 swingarm/linkage/shock into an 86 SRX600. They are originally twin shock but the RZ swingarm bolts right in. Same length, axle width, swingarm pivot dia. and width. I plan to use the stock RZ350 shock, linkage, and suspension geometry as I set this up to fabricate the upper shock mount and relay link frame mount. I am hoping someone here can provide me with a few measurements as I don't have an RZ frame to take these measurements. I looked through several threads that address the RZ suspension geometry, including Off Road's Low Budget Purple Project, but still came up short. I need:

1.) The angle between the dogbone and relay link at full extension
2.) The angle between the shock and relay link at full extension

These measurements need to be taken from a RZ350 with stock swingarm, linkage, and shock (or aftermarket replacement).

I think with these two angles I can determine the placement for the relay link frame mount and upper shock mount.

Thanks in advance.

burleyboyz

Re: Stock RZ rear suspension geometry help

#2 Post by burleyboyz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Slug,

I think you'll find on page 54 of OffRoad's Low Budget Purple Project the positions of the relay arm mount and top shock mount relative to the swingarm pivot point in his diagrams. The upper shock mount is 148mm above and 50mm behind the swingarm pivot, while the relay arm mount is 138 mm below and 35mm in front of the pivot. I think that's all you would need to locate where the mounts should be.

dinamos

#3 Post by dinamos » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:37 am

I can appreciate the desire to improve a dual shock system to a superior mono shock set up.

I don't get why you're set on a 30 year old shock unit that can't be rebuilt, unless you know something we don't about rehabing the rear shock.

roger

Slug

#4 Post by Slug » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:44 am

dinamos wrote:I can appreciate the desire to improve a dual shock system to a superior mono shock set up.

I don't get why you're set on a 30 year old shock unit that can't be rebuilt, unless you know something we don't about rehabing the rear shock.

roger

roger, I plan to replace the stocker with an aftermarket unit once I complete the swap. Easier for me to go off the stock RZ geometry since this is my first project with a monoshock.

burleyboyz, that's true. I guess I dont need the specific angles then. Thanks for your help.