What is 84 rz350 swingarm spindle/pivot bolt diameter?

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

subxero

What is 84 rz350 swingarm spindle/pivot bolt diameter?

#1 Post by subxero » Thu May 21, 2015 4:30 pm

As the topic asks, what is the diameter of this bolt? I can't find the diameter anywhere.

With that being said, people who have rgv swingarm conversions and had custom bushings/sleeves/races made to use the stock spindle, are you making these yourself or paying someone to do it? If having them made by someone else who?

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: What is 84 rz350 swingarm spindle/pivot bolt diameter?

#2 Post by RuZty » Thu May 21, 2015 8:39 pm

I used a standard size 20mm OD bronze bushing, longer than the inner race of the RGV bearing (around 40mm) with a 16mm ID for the RZ pivot bolt. Pressed them through the bearing with some Loctite 609, and then into the end of the spacer and it's good to go.

L.B

#3 Post by L.B » Fri May 22, 2015 6:35 am

If your talking bout vj22/bananna swinger,if someone can give me exact sizes i can machine some up.
I have a bananna swinger but couldnt be arsed working it all out lol.

subxero

#4 Post by subxero » Fri May 22, 2015 10:23 am

Edit:

Ruzty, So you are pressing the bronze bushing into the stock RGV inner race with Loctite to keep it mated together correct?

and when you say " and then into the end of the spacer" you mean you are simply pressing the bearing and bushing combo into the swingarm until it contacts the spacer in the pivot...right?

subxero

#5 Post by subxero » Fri May 22, 2015 11:12 am

L.B wrote:If your talking bout vj22/bananna swinger,if someone can give me exact sizes i can machine some up.
I have a bananna swinger but couldnt be arsed working it all out lol.

what would you machine them out of?

I am not entirely sure what suitable material would be. I think typical races are made out of hardened steel. I don't think the pivot point takes a ton of force as a lot of it is transferred into the shock and the pivot races have a lot of surface area as well to help distribute those forces.

IDK? :smt017

RuZty
-----
-----

#6 Post by RuZty » Fri May 22, 2015 11:23 pm

The bushings are only spacers between the RGV races and the smaller RZ pivot bolt. The RGV has a long spacer and 2 races, all 20mm ID. The bushings are a bit longer than the races and 16mm ID. Once they are pressed into the race the flush end goes outboard and the extended bush goes into the spacer so it stays concentric with the races. The Loctite is just piece of mind to be sure the bushing stays in the race, but since it isn't side loaded a light interference fit will be fine. Once it is all tightened down there is no relative motion between any of the parts and the swingarm moves on its bearings as designed. No need to get fancy, any metallic spacer will suffice. I think I ordered mine from McMaster Carr.

Edit; I'm pretty sure I used 2 of these per side http://www.mcmaster.com/#7811k32/=xarupw , first one pressed in flush and the second pressed in from the other side to seat against it.

subxero

#7 Post by subxero » Sat May 23, 2015 4:21 pm

^ thanks, makes sense and is simple and cheap... i like simple and cheap :smt023

subxero

#8 Post by subxero » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:50 pm

just to update, I ended up going with the bronze bushings to sleeve the inner race down to 16mm so I could use the stock rz spindle and not drill out the frame holes.

One thing I did a little different. I didn't really want to cut the races shorter to make the pivot fit into the rz frame so I took out the bearings and cut the spacer in the middle down instead. I figured I can cut the spacer once and then the races will seat deeper into pivot with out having to cut each one and get them spot on. Then just take a little of each end off the pivot and it was good as gold

Worked really well and was easy other than destroying the bearings as I tapped them out but it was probably best I replaced them anyway. And once I had that spacer out I deformed the ends just enough that the bronze bushings can't go in any further than the spacer. The spacer is 20mm ID normally but since I used the rz 16mm spindle bolt there was tons of space/slop there deforming it a bit to make sure the 20mm OD bushings don't continue into the spacer was simple and easy.
Last edited by subxero on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonW

#9 Post by JonW » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:12 pm

Only just seen this thread. The NK and other kits use the same spacer dims as the plans now hosted on my site. Its a free download for anyone needing them:

http://www.2smoked.com/RGVonYPVS%20plans.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bushes dont do any actual work so dont need to be hardened IIRC, so you could make them of anything solid enough to hold the bike up really. The OEM suzi collar rides the bushes and its all held together as a 'solid axle' along with the collar from one side of the frame to the other when the bolt is done up, the other bushes are just there to keep everything in line while you do it all up really, same as with wheel bearings and collars if you look at it like that.

I also cut down my inner collar and the new bushes slid into it to locate everything if they are the right length. IMHO always replace the bearings, they are cheap enough insurance.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com