Need help frz rear wheel in fz swingarm

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Danold

Need help frz rear wheel in fz swingarm

#1 Post by Danold » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Hey everyone. My first time doing a rear end swap and things have been going fairly good, but having a hard time centering the wheel in the swingarm. Wondering what everyones opinion is, how have you done this?

Tried the string method, but I think that really only is for keeping the rear and front sprockets parallel. Im looking to center the rear wheel with the front so it tracks well. Thought about measuring equal distance on each side of the swingarm to the rim, that would put it in the center of the swinger, which theoretically should be center with the front wheel right? then just machine spacers. Have eyeballed it in the center and the wheels do look aligned, but just wanna know if it is an effective method? Getting chain alignment after that shouldnt be to hard.

The rear wheel is off of an 89 FZR600 and the tire is a 160, so when I swap it to the 140 it might hlep me get it centered easier, I dunno.

Danold

Re: Need help frz rear wheel in fz swingarm

#2 Post by Danold » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:50 pm

New to posting pics here, doesnt look it worked.

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/danold ... sort=3&o=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/danold ... sort=3&o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zedixe13
-----
-----

#3 Post by Zedixe13 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:33 pm

First , I would suggest that you take off the rear tire and use a line from the steering top bolt to the middle of the rear frame , then with a lead tied to this line just over the wheel you will have a perfect idea of your wheel position to the millimeter . Getting the rear wheel centered is one thing , having the rear sprocket aligned with the front one is another challenge . On my LC I had to bend the rear section of my swing arm .5mm to one side to get everything aligned . Check you foot extensions , they could be in the way .

Danold

#4 Post by Danold » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for the input :smt001 , I think I get what you're saying, will try it once I get the tire off. The rear part of the subframe was cut off at one point and a new one was welded on for the solo seat, so I cant say how acurate it is, but its worth a shot!

With the combination of multiple sizes of offset front sprocket available, machining of the output shaft collar, and machining of rear cush drive (if needed), should'nt be too much of a hassle to align the sprockets. If the footpegs/rearsets do get in the way of the swinger, think if I add spacers between them and the frame I could make it clear

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/danold ... 6.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;