Twin clicker question

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Juicebox

Twin clicker question

#1 Post by Juicebox » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:41 am

I just put a Fox on my bike that I got in a box of parts. It has a new spring on it for my weight, but the rear end sits very low now. Just seems droopy....and that's before I sit on it. I was wondering if this means I need to have it sent in for a complete rebuild, or perhaps its not meant for an RZ (which I was told it was)? I also have the preload screwed down pretty far, and haven't played around with the compression or rebound adjustments at all. Any advice on any of this?

kpke
-----
-----

Re: Twin clicker question

#2 Post by kpke » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:32 pm

It sounds like this Fox shock does not have ride height adjust on it?

I have maxed out the ride height on the Fox shock on my yellow/black thrasher.

For a picture reference (sorry no measurements)...

Here is a Fox shock on the left and right and a stock shock in the middle.

krmiller70

#3 Post by krmiller70 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Are you using the stock RZ swing arm, dog bone's and center 'wish bone' linkages?
You shouldn't have to put so much pre-load on the spring. That is for setting the 'sag' with a rider and gear sitting stationary on the bike. It usually measured by taking a measurement between a fixed point on the rear of the bike (frame) and the center of the rear axle. Take a measurement with the bike on a center stand or with the rear tire off the ground, and another measurement with you on the bike with gear and the bike on the ground. Compare the two measurements and the difference is the amount of 'pre-load' or sag you have.
Make adjustments to the spring until it's correct.

From the picture you provided it looks like you have the correct length shock and have the ability to shorten or lengthen the overall length (eye to eye) to accommodate your requirements.

Questo vecchio rz

#4 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:55 pm

Great shocks besides a Penske or Works cant do much better.
FYI, There were ride height adjustable Twin Clickers and Non- adjustable versions. How does yours compare to the ones in the above photo?
Some possible causes might be:
1.) Its not a RZ shock, measure it vs your stock one.
2.) Its 100% worn out in need of service/ charging.
3.) Your RZ may have swapped or modified/ shortened linkage from a swing arm swap attempt or delivered with non stock linkage
4.) There have been a couple FZR 400 shocks advertised/or sold recently as being okay for use on a RZ, I don't believe they are. If it fits don't mean its right.

Even set to min height, etc I'm thinking it should still be within a range of parameters as to not alter the height too low, nor too high? Others here that are utilizing one tell you for sure.
You can phone Cary @ RZS Unlimited. He can probably get you any info you need, as well as any and all parts up to a full cosmetic and valved rebuild.

Someone here a few years ago posted that you could still get a rebuild from FOX or a referral shop? Any decent suspension shop should be able to help you out. Race Tech or LE engineering come to mind .
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

krmiller70

#5 Post by krmiller70 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:53 am

Would one of those Twin Clickers possibly be for sale?
PM me if it is!

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

Krmiller70

Questo vecchio rz

#6 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:03 am

Questo vecchio rz wrote:Great shocks besides a Penske or Works cant do much better.
FYI, There were ride height adjustable Twin Clickers and Non- adjustable versions. How does yours compare to the ones in the above photo?
Some possible causes might be:
1.) Its not a RZ shock, measure it vs your stock one.
2.) Its 100% worn out in need of service/ charging.
3.) Your RZ may have swapped or modified/ shortened linkage from a swing arm swap attempt or delivered with non stock linkage?

Even set to min height, etc I'm thinking it should still be within a range of parameters as to not alter the height too low, nor too high? Others here that are utilizing one tell you for sure.
You can phone Cary @ RZS Unlimited. He can probably get you any info you need, as well as any and all parts up to a full cosmetic and valved rebuild.

Someone here a few years ago posted that you could still get a rebuild from FOX or a referral shop? Any decent suspension shop should be able to help you out. Race Tech or LE engineering come to mind .
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

kpke
-----
-----

#7 Post by kpke » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:05 pm

krmiller70 wrote:Would one of those Twin Clickers possibly be for sale?
PM me if it is!

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

Krmiller70

No, sorry. They are both in use.

Juicebox

#8 Post by Juicebox » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:51 am

I should have said in my original post that everything else is stock, and that this is not the ride height adjustable version of the Fox shock. I have just put a new engine in my bike, and its also winter here now, so I haven't had a chance to ride the bike at all. Therefore the sag and such have not been set properly yet. I'm just making an observation on what the bike looks like sitting there. I also may be over reacting to the way it looks....but it seems droopier then it did with the stock shock. Thanks for the replies.

Juicebox

#9 Post by Juicebox » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:52 am

Also, my avatar picture is not the bike I am referring to.

kpke
-----
-----

#10 Post by kpke » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Juicebox wrote:Also, my avatar picture is not the bike I am referring to.
Then where is the picture of the bike you are referring to? :smt042
Last edited by kpke on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juicebox

#11 Post by Juicebox » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:43 am

I was never referring to a picture, but I'll try to get one up of the bike in question.

kpke
-----
-----

#12 Post by kpke » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:13 am

Juicebox, I made an edit to my stupid statement above. There was an Auto Correct issue and it did not make sense.

Anyway, as the old saying goes, "we all like pictures". :smt041

seahorse
-----
-----

#13 Post by seahorse » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:09 am

On the shock thing, I just finished a bog stock RZ rebuild and alas the rear was very soft on the first ride.
So I did a lot of net searching on the best replacement for my budget. I could not find any thing to fit my wallet, and after reading a lot of to and fro-ing on the R6 shock replacements, I decided to try and fix the spongy issue first, failing that I would save up for a LSL shock or Penski or equivelant.
So what I did was select the best of two old shocks I had, I removed both springs using a spring compressor ( threaded rods with hooks).
The shock I used was the one that compressed smoothly with some resistance and even returned a bit. The other shock just compressed under less resistance and Just stayed put.
I the cut the full circle starting coil from the spare spring and welded it to the full circle starting point of the spring I had selected to use. This gave me about 10-12 mm preload on the old spring. I then rebuilt the shock ( put the spring back on the shock) very carefully.
I was bloody amazed at how perfect it turned out. I started with unweighted to bike weighted was about 10mm sag, then me on top it dropped another 35 mm.
After the Seahorse Shock Mod "SSM", I ended up with 5 mm unweighted to weighted sag then another 20mm with me on top.
Fuck knows how long its gunna last but I took it for a ride and its Night and day, perfect.
As bare would say it'l do for shopping, and chasing granny's for now.
If anyone asks why your bike is so fast when your done tell em "Seahorse Shock Mod".
You could make your own spacer with a bit of 10mm flat or round bar bent to represent a bangle and use that as a spacer to preload the spring I guess. All I can say is be bloody careful when compressing the spring its a bloody dangerous job.
Kind regards Seahorse
81 RD 250 LC Hybrid .Widened frame with Aprilia RS250 Back end & Front end, strokd RZ 421, Kennys TSA's, 31KVM26SS Carbs M-360 P-25 ALBA Ndl Pos 3, Air 1.3/4
81Rd350lc resto 2016
81 Rd250lc resto 2017
1999 ZRX 1100

Hooligan

#14 Post by Hooligan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:45 am

Juicebox wrote:I should have said in my original post that everything else is stock, and that this is not the ride height adjustable version of the Fox shock. I have just put a new engine in my bike, and its also winter here now, so I haven't had a chance to ride the bike at all. Therefore the sag and such have not been set properly yet. I'm just making an observation on what the bike looks like sitting there. I also may be over reacting to the way it looks....but it seems droopier then it did with the stock shock. Thanks for the replies.
Remove the Fox shock and compare its installed length to the length of the OEM shock. I suspect the Fox will be shorter.

Your choices are to max out the "preload" in order to get as much length out of the shock as possible or to go to a stiffer spring. If the shock is not the correct length, both of them suggestions are just bandaids for the problem, which is that the shock is too short.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

krmiller70

#15 Post by krmiller70 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Are you using the stock swing arm? I went through this when I swapped over to an FZ 600 swing arm. Eventually I had the small wish bone shaped link near the center stand shortened which restored the static ride height to nearly stock. Welding an extra coil to the spring is risky business at best. You can call Fox and order the correct or an adjustable mounting 'eye' for the shock. ( mounts to the shock shaft ) then buy the correct spring for your weight!. Just my experience : )