Emulator Installation Questions

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

kpke
-----
-----

Emulator Installation Questions

#1 Post by kpke » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:21 am

I’ve done all the mods, assembled the forks, set the emulator in, and now installing the main spring and fork cap. The emulator adds approximately 3/4 inch of height to the internals. It makes screwing on the fork cap very difficult due to having to compress more of the spring.

I was hoping to start off with the stock springs but I’m thinking I’m not going to have any front suspension sag so something will need to be done.

Those of you that have done this did you install shorter springs to make up for the extra height of the emulator?

Cut the stock springs?

MK

Re: Emulator Installation Questions

#2 Post by MK » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:32 pm

As the stock spring is too soft anyway, you may have the appropriate sag with this preload added.

But it'd still be like buy Victoria Secret stockings for professor McGonagall.

If you ask me get some appropriate springs that are installed with some spacers and simply shorten these for adjusting the sag.
Bye
Martin

Hooligan

#3 Post by Hooligan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:51 am

I've got a set of emulators and new springs to install. Haven't even started on them yet.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

thumper580

#4 Post by thumper580 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:28 am

FYI, just in case you haven't bought them already.....get a pair of straight wound springs. Way better than progressive type. Check out Racetech, Sonic Spring or Traxxion Dynamics.
1985 RZ350
2000 Ducati 996S
WERA V2 National Champion

kpke
-----
-----

#5 Post by kpke » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:31 am

Thanks for the reply. I have not bought replacement springs. Waiting to finish off the bike and see if the stock springs work out. Can you reply with the specifications of the springs you bought? And your approximate riding weight. Much appreciated.

(F5)

#6 Post by (F5) » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:54 am

Um, so it's been 20 years maybe, but don't they have steel tubes as preload spacers? I had a 350FU circa 1988.

Either way springs on all yams of that era are waaaaay too soft unless you are a flyweight. I recall I cut off 10 to 15% of the coils. I cut from the progressively wound section to make more linear spring. But need to watch a YouTube on how to cut springs (assuming there will be one) as they need to be square at the ends and even. Then you can add spacer to get preload right if needs be.
496 Cheetah. TSS PVs, PWK35s, Ignitech, RGV(ish) chassis

MK

#7 Post by MK » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:18 am

You can use spring calculators like this to check what you need:
https://raggedmoto.com/fork-spring-rate-calculator/

If I remember right the stock springs are something like 0.35 - 0.42 kg/mm.
You'll need 0.7-0.8 to be in the ballpark for sporty riding.

BTW: If you want to be a cheapskate and accomplish this by cutting the stock spring, you'll need to cut off almost half of the total wire length...
Bye
Martin

kobra

#8 Post by kobra » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:54 am

Stock springs are ridiculously soft.

I went with .80 sonic springs. They are stiff but good. .75's would be a softer alternative (that are still way stiffer than stock). The springs are much shorter so you can adjust your preload with spacer length easily.