Brake disc swap

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

magrahamkp08

Brake disc swap

#1 Post by magrahamkp08 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:44 am

After having used the search option,
Im looking for the years of which the R1 brake discs will swap over to the rz350 wheel.
I plan on doing a little bit of a resto mod on my '88 RZ350

justind97

Re: Brake disc swap

#2 Post by justind97 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:57 am

99-01

dinamos

#3 Post by dinamos » Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 am

Silly question, what does an R1 disk swap do for an RZ?

roger

justind97

#4 Post by justind97 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:11 am

You're putting slightly lighter and larger diameter rotor on the wheel. Lowers rotating mass, increases the leverage the brakes have on the wheel to stop.

Also better quality metal for the pads to adhere to.

RuZty
-----
-----

#5 Post by RuZty » Fri May 13, 2016 9:40 am

Not sure about 'better quality metal', but the R1 rotors are also semi floating. This makes them lighter by virtue of the aluminum carrier, but when you factor in the larger diameter the inertia is probably similar to stock. You will notice more improvement by installing 4 piston calipers and a matching master cylinder than you will from bigger rotors, they are just the icing on the cake. Don't forget the whole package, even if you can brake twice as hard they are still attached to the business end of some pretty skinny forks.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#6 Post by two-stroke-brit » Fri May 13, 2016 1:59 pm

if i were upgrading the front brakes i would use the whole R1 system .
you will need an adapter for the caliper but mega improvement.
just my .02 cents
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

wolfman

#7 Post by wolfman » Fri May 13, 2016 2:00 pm

RuZty wrote:Don't forget the whole package, even if you can brake twice as hard they are still attached to the business end of some pretty skinny forks.
Two words can help him tremendously.
Fork brace :smt040
84 RZ350 Spec II boost ports shaved head
Y boot 29mm PWKs billet manifold TDR Reeds Spec II pipes
Fox twin clicker JMC Braced swing arm
Tarozzi fork brace
Brembo 19 RCS Master ss lines blue spots EBC Vees
Spec 2 Full Fairing factory Solo Cowl

evan_calgary

#8 Post by evan_calgary » Fri May 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Wolfy, brace could help plus upgrade them internals. But really your potentially at the same pricing as the upgrade for the front end...Guess depends if you want to keep the vintage look or not.

RuZty
-----
-----

#9 Post by RuZty » Sat May 14, 2016 6:01 am

A fork brace ties the legs together so they don't move independently while cornering, same as the larger axles on inverted forks, but I don't see how it it makes the forks any stiffer under hard braking, the tube diameter and wall thickness is all that will change that. Having said that, I don't have a fork brace so maybe they do help and I just don't see the technical explanation. Not criticising the upgrade either, you will be happier with better brakes, I just think the weak point here is the calipers more than the discs and the law of diminishing returns applies.

wolfman

#10 Post by wolfman » Sat May 14, 2016 12:18 pm

RuZty wrote:A fork brace ties the legs together so they don't move independently while cornering, same as the larger axles on inverted forks, but I don't see how it it makes the forks any stiffer under hard braking, the tube diameter and wall thickness is all that will change that. Having said that, I don't have a fork brace so maybe they do help and I just don't see the technical explanation. Not criticising the upgrade either, you will be happier with better brakes, I just think the weak point here is the calipers more than the discs and the law of diminishing returns applies.
I understand your point and all I can say is rigidly tying the forks together strengthens their resistance to flexing.
I agree about the calipers, definitely the weak point in the front braking.
Blue spot adapters for the 2000 R1/R6 rotors are in order + a nice radial master.
Tarozzi fork brace

RuZty
-----
-----

#11 Post by RuZty » Sun May 15, 2016 5:35 am

..and the first time you use them you will be happy. I hadn't ridden many bikes prior to buying my RZ 20 years ago, and even after a complete overhaul of the brakes was less than impressed. I rode a friends VFR750 and my first thought was 'this is how brakes should work'. It wasn't until the Triumph calipers went on that I got there. I like the all Yamaha solution and probably would have gone that way if the simpler option hadn't come up.

krmiller70

#12 Post by krmiller70 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:59 am

I just completed the blue - dot caliper swap with stock RZ rotors and EBS pads. I can highly recommend this to anyone wanting to improve front brake performance and 'lever feel'. One finger pull will haul you down quickly. Two finger pull on the lever with stock M/C can easily put you on your head or lock the front tire.

You will need the caliper adapters (Mine are from TDR). I purchased the blue dot R-6 calipers from a salvage yard for around $50.00 USD, and used the SS lines I previously installed. (Galpher)
BIG improvement! No need for the larger R-1 rotors unless perhaps your racing Moto GP!
My estimated cost is about $150.00 USD with lines.
You won't be disappointed.

wolfman

#13 Post by wolfman » Sun May 15, 2016 2:08 pm

RuZty wrote:..and the first time you use them you will be happy. I hadn't ridden many bikes prior to buying my RZ 20 years ago, and even after a complete overhaul of the brakes was less than impressed. I rode a friends VFR750 and my first thought was 'this is how brakes should work'. It wasn't until the Triumph calipers went on that I got there. I like the all Yamaha solution and probably would have gone that way if the simpler option hadn't come up.
If only I had the later fork legs I wouldn't need the adapters.
The adapters I have are from a forum member and are setup to use blue spots with 99-01 r1/r6 rotors
I figure the double upgrade was worth the price of admission.
Freakin' ebc vee rotors for the r1 are $250 a piece !!!
The rear ebc vee was $140 !
It should look as good as it performs.
I'll post pics when done as well as video from Palomar mountain :smt035
Tarozzi fork brace