Steering Dampener

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

415toBKK

Steering Dampener

#1 Post by 415toBKK » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:13 am

I have a NSR150 SP 2stroke and wanted to know if a dampener is needed. I drive quite spiritedly. I'm currently having my bike redone for track use. Redoing the clutch and whole motor. Before all this I could cruise along at 140k fine.

ghezzi

Re: Steering Dampener

#2 Post by ghezzi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:41 pm

Ultimately, a steering dampener is a band aid for poorly set up suspension. If everything else is set up and dialled in first you shouldn't need one.
In extreme cases of RACE bikes being set up at the ragged edge of "shopping trolley" rake and trail, a dampener may help to settle the nervousness.
I'd rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

Questo vecchio rz

Re: Steering Dampener

#3 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:07 pm

Pretty much agree for a (small displacement low powered bike) for most conditions and as mentioned above, obvious for those of us that change suspension setups.
Larger more powerful machines that can unweight the front end under hard acceleration, then a dampner can be a asset. And on roadbikes, the same applies, as there are many objects & conditions that can induce a wobble, particularlly lane seperation reflectors/bumps & those wonderful freeway expansion joints... if hit while under acceleration or at angles @ speed, can easily get the frontend light & oscillating.. :smt011. Also either track or road , draft turbulance can sometimes induce the chassis to wobble..I've had all these happen & its no fun. I personally put dampners on all my bikes now. And be aware some chassis & suspensions are better than others, even manufactures and their engineers can get it wrong think Suzuki TL & Kawasaki ZX9...lol

The RZ (for me) must have one along with other modifications. As the frame is good but I feel it needs help (reinforcing) of the bicycle sized steering head and rear shock mounting area to be pushed hard.

And one should acknowledge that there are alot of variables that should be taken into cosideration, such as but not limited to suspension setup, chassis setup, tire choice & profiles, riding style & conditions.
IMO for a NSR125 probably not needed, but it doesnt hurt anything to have one either, can provide some cheap insurance & peace of mind.
Good luck
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500