R1 Front End Howto (Pictures)

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: R1 Front End Howto (Pictures)

#61 Post by RuZty » Sun May 10, 2015 11:23 am

subxero wrote: the spacer is first (do you still use rubber seal around new spacer?)
I machined the spacer to take the stock RZ lower seal and put the bearing on top. I don't like using washers as a mechanical spacer because they have hugely loose tolerances and are stamped, so the faces are not flat or parallel.
Consciousness wrote: I also replaced the rear with a CBR400 RR (baby blade) shock so i thought i would need the .75 to keep in balance but after reading your comment i realize it's probably too stiff. Would swapping oil make a big difference?
Oil affects damping, not rate, reducing preload will help a bit. Check the rate on your CBR shock, Honda uses very stiff springs and high linkage rates, most CBR's have at least double the spring rate of an RZ. I used a Penske off a VFR400, it had a 1000# spring on it. I sent it to them to be rebuilt and revalved for my application.

Consciousness

Re: R1 Front End Howto (Pictures)

#62 Post by Consciousness » Sun May 10, 2015 5:45 pm

RuZty wrote:
subxero wrote: the spacer is first (do you still use rubber seal around new spacer?)
I machined the spacer to take the stock RZ lower seal and put the bearing on top. I don't like using washers as a mechanical spacer because they have hugely loose tolerances and are stamped, so the faces are not flat or parallel.
Consciousness wrote: I also replaced the rear with a CBR400 RR (baby blade) shock so i thought i would need the .75 to keep in balance but after reading your comment i realize it's probably too stiff. Would swapping oil make a big difference?
Oil affects damping, not rate, reducing preload will help a bit. Check the rate on your CBR shock, Honda uses very stiff springs and high linkage rates, most CBR's have at least double the spring rate of an RZ. I used a Penske off a VFR400, it had a 1000# spring on it. I sent it to them to be rebuilt and revalved for my application.
Many thanks, i can't believe how much you guy's know. I forgot to mention the shock is actually a Fox shock that came off CBR400 RR. Not sure that would make a difference. How would i determine the spring rate it is using and what would you recommend for a 165lb rider? I had a guy install everything and when he did the springs in the front he cut the plastic pipe so it fit real tight under the fork caps, would shortening the plastic pipe adjust the preload, how much pressure should i be using to screw in the caps if cut properly?
85 RZ350 KR. Racetech/Fox Motul 10W. Telefix, Prog. Zeel, VForce4's, VM30 Mik's Uni-Filters & UFOs, Grooved Head & Mild Port w/Boyesen's by Rich's Taylor'd Porting, Orig. Toomeys, Redline, Conti Attack2.