FZR/RZ tire recommendations

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

ricar

#16 Post by ricar » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:46 am

Are you using the stock FZ links? They are shorter than the RZ but the holes in the swingarm are about 1 1/4" lower than the RZ arm. I don't think the FZ links are short enough to make up this difference (anyone have some to part with I can cut into pieces and try to get the length right?) Then there are issues with shock clearances as well. It looks like your signal mounts are stock? I'm guessing they will be the same height as my 83, what is the height ground to signal light after the swap?
84 RZ. Half naked, SpecIIs, GSXR front end, FZ swingarm, SV rear wheel, trail tech speedo/tach

kpke
-----
-----

#17 Post by kpke » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 am

L.B
I don't know if this swingarm is longer than stock one.
Sorry, the rear sets are not for sale :smt010

ricar
Yes, stock FZ links are being used. Well, sort of. They were ground down some by the PO to get access to the adjuster on the rear shock.

I will compare front and rear height against one of my stock suspended bikes and report back. I am curious with the difference is :smt017

ricar

#18 Post by ricar » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:17 am

I do believe that at it's shortest, the FZ arm will have a shorter wheelbase than the stock swing arm.
84 RZ. Half naked, SpecIIs, GSXR front end, FZ swingarm, SV rear wheel, trail tech speedo/tach

kpke
-----
-----

#19 Post by kpke » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Today I adjusted the length of the fox shock to max. It made a huge difference. Now I can get the bike on to the center stand without feeling like I am going to blow my back out :smt023

The fz/fzr suspension and wheels/tires, coming from an amateur rider, feels very good. Went for a decent ride today and feel like it is going to work out quite nice.

And the blue front fender is now black :smt003

JeffCooper

#20 Post by JeffCooper » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:42 pm

kpke wrote:Today I adjusted the length of the fox shock to max. It made a huge difference. Now I can get the bike on to the center stand without feeling like I am going to blow my back out :smt023

The fz/fzr suspension and wheels/tires, coming from an amateur rider, feels very good. Went for a decent ride today and feel like it is going to work out quite nice.

And the blue front fender is now black :smt003
Opposite issue here...I added an R6 shock which jacked up the fanny 1.5" and now the center stand barely keeps the bike balanced let alone a wheel off the ground. :-)
Jeff Cooper
Palm Harbor, FL
1984 RZ350

ricar

#21 Post by ricar » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:58 pm

What did you need to do to the front end to make it fit? Was it a straight bolt on?

ddeford

Re:

#22 Post by ddeford » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:18 pm

ricar wrote:What did you need to do to the front end to make it fit? Was it a straight bolt on?
I don't see an answer to this question, so I thought I'd ask again. :)

I just purchased a nice FZR400 front end and was wondering the same thing - will it bolt right up or will it require a lot of effort (or somewhere in between)?

Off Road
-----
-----

Re: FZR/RZ tire recommendations

#23 Post by Off Road » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:49 pm

Installing the FZR400 front end on my bike was pretty much a straight bolt on.
If I remember correctly, there were only 2 problems that I had to overcome.

1 - I installed a set of tapered steering bearings in the RZ frame.

A - I had to put a spacer Under the Lower bearing. This moves the bearing farther away from the tree, and keeps the tree from rubbing on the frame/steering neck.

B - The tapered bearings are thicker that the oem ball bearings, and the FZR steering stem was Not quite long enough to work.
It would go through the upper bearing, but there was only 1 or 2 threads for the steering nut to go on.

To overcome this problem, I removed the Top tapered bearing, and replaced it with the oem ball bearings.
I am still using a tapered bearing in the bottom.

2 - The steering stops on the FZR tree do Not line up with tab on the RZ frame.

On one frame I didn't want to damage the powder coating, so I made an aluminum part that bolted to the tab, and extended it.

Before powder coating another frame, I had my welder modify the tab so that it worked with the FZR stops.

I really like the FZR400 front end on the RZ.
With the wider tire and bigger brakes, it handles nice and the brakes are awesome.

kpke
-----
-----

Re: FZR/RZ tire recommendations

#24 Post by kpke » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Ditto what Mr. OR said above.

You will have to fix the steering stops.

I think I remember swapping out the FZR stem for the RZ stem. :smt017 And had it welded on the bottom, but this is not required. But I may be confusing the yellow bike with another bike I am working on now that is also FZR swap.

I also removed the tapered bearing on the top and installed the original ball bearings.

And I agree with the handling statement. This swap will make your bike handle much, much better. :smt045