My Banshee desert racer

We love ALL motorcycles - post your non-2T custom build here!

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

My Banshee desert racer

Post by Questo vecchio rz »

This is my Banshee, I've posted it here before, but thought I'd post some more info n updates, I have tough budget constraints, so I just can't throw $ at things, I research, read and take my time and go with from what I feel will work.

1.) Custom Cro Mo stock length swingarm with Xtreme.
2.) Baja designs, twin La Paz 7" LED light carrier.
3.)Ricky Stator Floating ground conversion with high output stator.
4.) Honda hub conversion for proper wheel offset, bike turns instantly with stability.
5.) Run flat tires.
6.) IMS Baja 6 gallon fuel tank.
7.) Custom valved Ohlins rear shock.
8.) Lonestar racing Desert/MX extended A-arms w upgraded ball joints.
9.) Lonestar Anti fatuige, handlebar mount.
10.) FMF Flying Machine Factory (Fatties).
11.) YZF450 front adj shocks.

Well, since my crank decided to commit suicide in a spectacular fashion...lol
I've just given the go ahead to have a shop build me a motor, It's a potent 4mm stroker based on this Dyno chart.

Take a look at the numbers...(Astounding) tourqe#s to say the least. This engine is going to be a test bed for my RZ build, I'll build myself. A guarantee from the builder of my motor being within the magic # of 5-7 on h.p. and tq of the Dyno numbers has sold me. It's a hardcore Trail/MX ported engine..he said his spec motor will give me (obviously) more mid range than I could ever possibly need...This bike is gonna bolt out of corners so hard it's going to be insane.
It's A 4mm stroker, max bore, based build on ported stock cylinders!, (saves me ) $1700.00 vs another CPI motor. Custom head and dome specs, PWK 33mm Airstikers, 2-1 intake. My bike will differ from his spec in the fact that I'm using 33mm instead of 35mm, and Im going to use a set of Shearer's extreamly regarded in frames (pictured below.

and will test my existing FMF fatties 1st to see what kind of numbers I own, If we're not satisfied, we're switching to the 35s and the Dyno motors SLP spec exhuasts. SLP claims a 10 h.p. boost in Mid range..if that proves correct , its irrefutable, and then on My RZ I'll have BT build me a set as close as he can get (due to RZ limitations)..and be done! 45-50 lbs of Tq and +70-80 h.p. will be essentially the ultimate punch you in the face stock cyl RZ performance engine, especially for how and when I ride her. If this motor out performs the Chettah stock stroke 400cc motor of the other Banshee thats my target, I'll be a happy camper. As that motor delivers 68 h.p. and 44 lbs tq.
I'll know buy the 3rd- 4th week of July. Wish me luck , Hope I don't get ....HuRt :smt044

Clint Eastwood / Callahan.."A man has to know his limitations"..lol :smt021
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
Questo vecchio rz

Banshee desert racer/ 4mm stroker build

So bought this bike specific to the fact that was advertised as it having a recent rebuilt motor. ( Seems people have different ideas of what constitutes a rebuild).... Lol.
2nd time in a row I've been misled, frankly lied to they know what they did.
The Tri-Z and now the Banshee.
From this day forward, all motors are considered in need of a rebuild, unless they provide verifiable receipts of work performed, if not I'll talk them down accordingly or I'll just buy elsewhere. These guys deserve to be beat down on asking prices
Well here is the "Rebuilt" Banshee motor, a slapped together mismatched connecting rod reassembly, with one used Hot Rods Rod and a OEM Rod, Crank in no way was trued, nor welded, wear evidence of the crank walking every which way.
All bearings were old and used, thus the Stator side bearing disinergrated, so this is the end result, this happened at 15 mph on my 3rd ride after buying it.
Motor is all apart now, should be ready in about 3 weeks. Gonna be a Power House of a motor, Tug Boat tourqe!!

Last edited by Questo vecchio rz on Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
hondaror

Re: My Banshee desert racer

Post by hondaror »

Yuk!
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine
Questo vecchio rz

Got the Banshee back ! , Decided to keep my FMF fatties and decided on a slightly more conservative MX port,. Trailered it down had it Dyno Tuned and carbs tuned to provide me with a little protection and peace of mind, took her out for a few days to the dunes... She's a dream ! She's no Serval or Cheetah... but for a stock cylinder very nice!
My numbers were 67.5 h.p. and (45lbs tq!!) on 33 PWK airstikers.

This is with the low mid-range pipes if I add some Shearer or CPI in frame drag pipes Etc I will pick up more than 8 and 3 lbs of tourqe but will lose some low and grunt. As it is right now this thing loves to jump over even the smallest bumps with just a little Goose of gas..it's fun! And Banshees are known for not having very good torque this thing is kind of scary hard to believe they can get another 20 to 30 horsepower out of these things

I am starting to lean towards a ported CPI Serval cylinders for the RZ., With a 7 mm crank. So it'll be close to a 443 and over 85-90 horsepower and over 50 lb of torque.. I was turned on to perhaps the ultimate Banshee engine builder breathing air on planet Earth, his motors are astounding. His 4 mm "serval"motors make more power and last longer than most others 7mm and up engines.

I'm so happy I did not go with Athena cylinders the port timings are not optimal, I really like what I see on the Servals very impressive and can be set up for a for usable realistic port timings, and in my quest for RZ I can afford I lose all the weight of the YPVS system, Servo Motors cables etcetera that's probably a free 5 lb.

All in all a good few days at the beach.
Last edited by Questo vecchio rz on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
JonW

Post by JonW »

Eeek, thats some nasty work in that engine. Feel for ya with that to contend with QV.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com
RuZty
-----
-----

Post by RuZty »

Any chance you use a 42" computer monitor? :smt002
Redline Junkie
-----
-----

Post by Redline Junkie »

RuZty wrote:Any chance you use a 42" computer monitor? :smt002
LOL
1985 RZ350F being restored now!
1987 RZ350 Stock
1985 RZ350F basket case
1985 RZ500 Stock
Questo vecchio rz

Added a case saver, to help orevent any further future case destruction.
Added a Vito's clutch pankcake bearing, to prevent clutch ball welding. Out w the old !
Scored a clean set of kick ass Toomey T-5s for $250.00 bucks! on Craigslist. T5s work better on ported engines than do T-6s. ? Now I have noticeably faster acceleration w top end ! And the infamous Toomey sound!, What the trademarked Potato Potato sound is to Harley...the Toomey sound is to 2 strokes...pure music.

Added a lightweight 13 tooth front sprocket, and a new Renthal Werks Alum 44 rear for WAY more acceleration! NO need for 1st gear!!!
Had the Ohlins rear shock , set up for my weight.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

Post by two-stroke-brit »

do you do a lot of night ridding ?
as those could light a stadium.
congrats on the successful rebuild .
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600
Questo vecchio rz

two-stroke-brit wrote:do you do a lot of night ridding ?
as those could light a stadium.
congrats on the successful rebuild .

I do night riding, I'm going to do the DC conversion with a 200 watt stator so I can run all the L E.D.s, without low speed flicker and run a battery that will charge.
I also want to run a :
1.) rectangle 12" L.E.D. flood underneath the twin lights.
2.)Amber red combo rear brake light that pulsates when braking.
3.) Switchable L E.D light on a lead in case I need trailside repairs. ( I'm having a cool tool kit box fabricated). To mount under the rack.
4.) I'll likey add a lighted whip antenna as well.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
Questo vecchio rz

TOOMEY POWER! :smt023
Swapped from the FMF Fatties to the Toomey T5s this weekend, The Banshee then had a noticable stumble off idle. Recap, 4 mil stroker, strong MX/trail port and PWK33s .
We reinstalled the FMFs ran it once to 64.5h.p. and 44,/lbs tq. Down a little from initial build. Swapped to the Toomey T5s and jetted the carbs to eliminate the off idle bog..and BANG! 68 h.p. and 44.5 lbs tq. Almost same as before ..BUT there's around +8 h.p. increase in power from mid-range to redline... a nice wall of power up the face! and significantly quicker!! Just as I expected...Very minimal loss off idle to mid-range..it's a trade off I'll easily accept. This old girl is strong ..she RIPS especially with the new gearing @14/45
Now I'm happy, going to focus on the Stator swap and adding a additional L.E.D. flood light to the front..SO MUCH light! Your gonna be able to see this Banshee from space...lol
Last edited by Questo vecchio rz on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
brrrappp

Post by brrrappp »

Your bike looks like the Banshee's run at Baja-1000 by the factory Yamaha Racing effort. I had a promo video from Yamaha back in the day. There was a scene shot from a helicopter during the race where the Banshee blew past a Factory Suzuki on a long flat section. It was as if the Suzi standing still.
Questo vecchio rz

Ordered a Hi capacity Radiator and Red silicone water hoses.
My goal is to change from Blue/White bodywork and silver frame, to Red/White w Red frame, w custom 87 graphics to match the RZ. (dirt cousin). It has to Factory Red & White!
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
Questo vecchio rz

I want to change my Banshee color scheme from blue and silver to red and white Yamaha firecracker red I found a powder coating shop close to where I live he will do a package for $500 that includes the frame hubs swingarm a arms and Knuckles for $500 pretty reasonable
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500