I always wanted a.......................

We love ALL motorcycles - post your non-2T custom build here!

Moderator: rztom

rzrej

I always wanted a.......................

Post by rzrej »

That's what I'll call this thread; trouble is I read about a bike and how it's good at this or good at that and then I want one; source a cheap one and away we go. Ride them for a while and sell them. Almost always do the one day blast thing to Winnipeg to visit buddy. Maybe I enjoy pain I don't know, hmm.
It costs a bit as my motto is buy high sell low lol. Not really but seems to turn out that way.

First up, 01 FZ1, great bike. Ton of fun, felt light, great brakes and a way punchier motor than I expected. Had a great mid range lunge; heard that the first gen R1's were good for that but never rode one so didn't know. And being a R1 based motor it was a fun bike. Suspension wasn't that good as 14 years old and could of done with updating but meh, not going to invest the money. Bought for 2400 sold for 22. Bought it off the BC ride buddy and he had done the valves, cleaned carbs, put on heated grips and a higher bar. Rode it 5000k. If your curious about one of these you'd probably like it.

ImageImage

Holy shit, found a third iteration of his sidecar, this from 2012, I had a 1200 Bandit at the time. Fun bike, definitely in the 'punchy motor' category too. It was a downstream bike from the gsxr11's motor and it worked great. Didn't have to trod on it too hard to get good results, great pull from low.
I'm sure some of you may of had a Bandit.
Um his bike, ya, the KLR. Nothing new there. He's not ADHD.

rzrej

Re: I always wanted a.......................

Post by rzrej »

On a roll now lol, this is a pic of a bunch of prints that I had up on a wall or something a few years ago. If you see the RZ in the middle with the 2 kids on it? One is my daughter who is now 29 so that pic was from 96 or something.

It was a idiot bastards child of a bike but was fun........maybe the Calgary guys know by a slim chance who's bike this was. So;
Bought if off a guy and the bike was painted this crazy purple/teal stripy things on it and had no engine. Apparently buddy's friend calls him asking to borrow his engine as he blew his in a race (in Calgary I believe), so engine out of IBC is transferred, said race bike gets stolen leaving this bike engineless.

That's how I bought it for 350, in 96. Found a RDLC bike that was a sight to behold, barn find but it ran, 250 bucks. Put the RD engine into the RZ frame.
What it needed was RZ triangular mounting plates, had to maybe of changed the countershaft sprocket and maybe chain size, can't quite remember. There wasn't that many changes really. Got a guy in Edmonton at a small bike shop to do the CDI, don't know what he did. I explained what was what and left him the bike, it was a bit of project for him, but he got it done. Have not the slightest clue what he had to rewire........guys like Offroad would probably kInow.

Bike ran great for the most part and pup about 3000k that summer, would show an indicated 165-170k topped out but coming from the bike it did with no work to it is a miracle. I'll have to route up a pic of the RD it came out of. In a box of prints somewhere.

The other bikes are other random bikes that have come and gone, sigh.

JonW

Post by JonW »

Great post. I remember the instructors at the Yamaha Advanced Riders Course at the ring used the FZ1s and were demon fast, I had a brand new R1 and they were faster (braver perhaps) than me LOL

YEs the LC engine in the RZ would require an offset 520 sprocket to be on the chainline, easy enough to locate. As for CDIs the CDI would run the motor no problem I suspect, just remove the PV stuff and leave the wires dangling, the curve might in interesting but should run. Fitting an LC CDI would be simple tho id think.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com
rzrej

Post by rzrej »

Just to keep it on an even keel with some 2 stroke content, a few more pics of where I got my 2 stroke lust. CR125 with the worlds tiniest power band.
Keep it in there though and it was fun. This was in a small town in MB where I was as a kid and seemed liked all the kids rode dirt bikes and lots of snowmobiles in winter.
Rode the ever-loving you know what out of this bike but it had been handed around like the town pump. Already rode hard and put away wet so wasn't any damage I could do to it. This is the one I and my buddy rebuilt. (His younger brother is on the right as we check out their dads old Indian. Cool bike. Almost out of view his dad had a GT750 triple too.) He, Darian, was most of the brains behind the operation when it came to tough decisions like how much to torque the head and which way things went. This bike had no right to run as well as it did, but Darian had a knack with stuff, and in 1976 um no internets. No manual either, but then a 125 single isn't rocket science. Kid was 14 and I was 15. All we cared about was scrounging a few bucks for gas and I think we ran Belray. You can tell what sort of budget we were on by the state of my most excellent riding gear. I must of been damn lucky or angels not to get seriously hurt. No, just young and stoopid.

rzrej

Post by rzrej »

Ya I really like the fizzer, I'm by no means a very fast rider but with the high bars it was like a good old dirt bike.

Thats it, sounds like the off set sprocket is what I did. It seemed to pull pretty good but liked it above 6 grand. My only experience with an LC, but it signed off about 9500 or so. Sound familiar. Stock pipes, stock stock so wasn't very trick.
vmxwinn

Post by vmxwinn »

Rzrej, you had a first gen FZ1 and Bandit 1200. Now you you to get a ZRX 1100/1200 to round out your experience. Lol
85 Y/B, Toomey pipes, PWK 28's, JJH Needle #2, 45 pilot jet, 145 main, Pods, VForce 4 reed blocks, +3 ignition, Milled head 1.1mm squish, R6 Shock, Progressive

Many Vintage MX Bikes, 03 ZRX1200R, 86 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans MK IV, 86 VFR 750, 74 GT 550
rzrej

Post by rzrej »

I wouldn't mind a ZRX of some flavor, hear lots good about those, how about a Aprilia Tuono? All good bikes though, I think I am getting more partial to twins and less to inline fours.
Hooligan

Post by Hooligan »

I always wanted an FZ750 ... and now I have one. :smt003

I always really wanted an RC30 .... but with current prices that ain't ever gonna happen. :smt010

However it is entirely possible to make an RC30 replica out of a garden variety VFR750, which apparently these two are. :smt023

'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750
rzrej

Post by rzrej »

Hey Hooligan, ask and ye shall receive; and it's in Calgary to boot............wouldn't be cheap.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/calg ... nFlag=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hooligan

Post by Hooligan »

Sweet! Sadly for the rest of us that thing is worth $30k plus. Mint with that low mileage? Maybe $40k?
'85 FZ750
rzrej

Post by rzrej »

They go for crazy money for sure.

All right, some more 2 stroke content. I found another pic of my kids on that idiot bastard child RZ, I have a pic floating around here also with same 2 kids in trip we did in Vietnam riding the Minsks.

See? I put them on an RZ and they liked 2 strokes when they were older lol

What the heck, this pic.

I think my son liked it,

Haha, don't need no waiver papers or safety stuff. Check out guy hanging on to rope to keep raft from floating away. ISO, screw that.

What's not to like about shooting an AK47 when you're 15?

And she is right beside you?Image

Who measures the oil and gas mixture? Scoop of motor oil and sort of mix it, bikes never missed a beat. Smoked like an all time sum of bitch.
6 bikes like this going down the road? Was a GD environmental catastrophe. Us 3, guy from Australia, guy from Switzerland and the guide.

Raft thing down at the bottom, they poled you out to the middle of river where there was a metal spike and on the other side it was China.

Must be rush hour.

Last day when we finished, rode in about 4 hours of rain that day and was a soggy day. Suddenly I ADD'd this thread into a Vietnam ride report. Oh well.

rzrej

Post by rzrej »

I had read a lot about the VStrom and since it had essentially the same motor as the SV650 I had, that was a huge bonus. I sold the KLR last year and needed another dual sport bike. Now the strom is not really a dual sport but it should be fine on gravel and that sort of thing.
Rode it back from Calgary yesterday to Edmonton, 300 kilometres. Old lady took this pic.

It was 18C in Calgary and was like summer! Damn nice, this pic half way between Calgary and Red Deer.........surely some of the 2 stroke crowd in Calgary was out and about yesterday?
By the time I got home it was 9C and I managed to ride through some rain, gotta be some all the time it seems.

For you guys in warm climates, this weather we have been having here is crazy for end of Feb and early March. Wonderful!

Hooligan

Post by Hooligan »

rzrej wrote:I had read a lot about the VStrom and since it had essentially the same motor as the SV650 I had, that was a huge bonus. I sold the KLR last year and needed another dual sport bike. Now the strom is not really a dual sport but it should be fine on gravel and that sort of thing.
Rode it back from Calgary yesterday to Edmonton, 300 kilometres. Old lady took this pic.

It was 18C in Calgary and was like summer! Damn nice, this pic half way between Calgary and Red Deer.........surely some of the 2 stroke crowd in Calgary was out and about yesterday?
By the time I got home it was 9C and I managed to ride through some rain, gotta be some all the time it seems.
Can't comment on the other guys but my strokers won't come out till the street sweepers clean up all the gravel. Don't need to ding the hell out of the pain on those bikes. Besides, I have other bikes I can ride that I don't mind scratching up.

I had an SV racebike for a bunch of years and loved it. Few years back we rented a 650 Strom on Maui and it was great two up. I was dragging my toes through many corners. :)
'85 FZ750
hondaror

Post by hondaror »

I was in Edmonton with my gal. I'll have the RZ out this week I hope. Need to get plates. I love sliding around in the stones...power slides and skids.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine