RZ 350 Hooligan Build

We love ALL motorcycles - post your non-2T custom build here!

Moderator: rztom

driftmaster

RZ 350 Hooligan Build

Post by driftmaster »

Hellow everyone, 

Picked up a 1984 KR RZ 350 off dallas craigslist couple of days ago for a $1000 with 6k miles, one owner bike. He fliped it in 87', been in storage sence.  Has DG chambers, carbon reeds and came with lots on nib parts. Got it home and cleaned carbs, new oil lines, new battery, rebuilt tank valve, fresh fuel, started on 3ed kick. Did a few short test runs with plug checks and flote valve adjustments.  Very close but not perfect, thinking its not jetted for the chambers or crank seals. Pulls hardered at 3/4 throttle than wot. I went ahead and gave it a good cleaning than a 75 mile ride today. What a freaking riot to ride. This thing is a true riders bike, Im in love. First 2 stroke bike to own, came off a gsxr k to the rz. 

Im hoping some of you guys can help me with this build. Im very crafty. Have a small mill and lathe. Can make carbon or galss body parts pretty good. I have 2 pix of what Im shooting for looks wise. I dont have to have the best handling as I try not to push my limits on the street. I would rathe save weight but the newer style front end and swing arm looks very sweet imo. Plus 17" wheels and tires look much better as well. Im really digging the 6 spoke 
and hight exist exhaust on each side. The r1 gauge is a must have as well.

Not sure on what to do with the engine. Im thinking I would like to have 75 to 80 hp,  unless I can have more and still be thrashable on the street. Remember I want a Hooligan bike with low gearing and good lines and looks. Its for sure going to be black and yellow. Who makes the high exit and one on each side pipes? What fork and swing arm is the easiest?  Should I go am cylinders are stay with stock power valve cylinder? what  should my jetting be with the dg chambers? If you see something on ebay that I need on this build please link it.

Other than a few days of reading I know nothing about the RZ's. I do know yamaha twin 2 strokes tuning from 30 years of freestyle jet skis. the first pic is the rz I just picked up. The other 2 are what Im kinda shooting for on looks. The cut r1 bikini firing looks nice and easy to make on the more modern looking RZ. I think that coupled with the old school look might work. Thinking Ill start looking for r1 parts.

Thanks for any input.
Shawn
Attachments
2cb8d24c209756f4af5d9e8b1762b0db.jpeg
2cb8d24c209756f4af5d9e8b1762b0db.jpeg (52.93 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
FelixH_2M400R-SP_Photoshoot_20160313_002.jpeg
FelixH_2M400R-SP_Photoshoot_20160313_002.jpeg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
driftmaster

Re: RZ 350 Hooligan Build

Post by driftmaster »

Well the pic of my bike didn't load in the above post.
Questo vecchio rz

Post by Questo vecchio rz »

Dude congrats on your RZ purchase... :smt023

That RZ in the top pic, IMO is the quintessential example of perhaps the best looking modified RZ....ever. It just looks that good! I have copies of his build if your interested, stating all his modifications, actually here it is... http://www.ahrmamx.com/RZ350.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hes running a JMC swingarm and Jim Lomas side by side stainless pipes, Airtech YZR tailsectionhis wheels are adapted Honda CBR & NSR. He also built a equally sweet RZ500 & RC30/hawk replica.
You will find info on all these items in this website as well.
Mr. Perrys Yellow/ Black bike is my all time favorite and best looking RZ that fits the orig bodywork restomod hooligan concept of a RZ ..just perfect. To copy that build or improve upon it, one could not be faulted, as its the ultimate flattery.

IMO you just cannot improve the looks & graphics of the basic stock bodywork profile, I'd certainlly stick to just improving and accentuating the orig lines as its very hard to modernize the bikes apperance with bodywok thats 30 years newer.
IMO keeping the powervalve YPVS is a must, its what makes a little displacement bike like the RZ so much dammned fun! You can certainlly find much faster bikes but one would be very hard pressed to find a more entertaining "FUN" bike at any price.

But you have to build what you want & there are many people here to help you.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
evan_calgary

Post by evan_calgary »

2nd bike is also on a TZR 3MA or 3XV frame. Tough to find stateside. RZs are great bikes. Lots of fun and pretty much the last of the roadgoing 2-strokes. Sounds like you are too rich/lean on your mains based on the description. a size or 2 makes a huge difference. Most recent build here was very different at different sizes between 185-200. Get the carbs right and will be even better.
driftmaster

Post by driftmaster »

Thank you for the reply, links and info Questo! I think ur right about trying to blend new and old together. Any way
Started this thread in the proper section. Hope to see ya there.

Thanks again!

Questo vecchio rz wrote:Dude congrats on your RZ purchase... :smt023

That RZ in the top pic, IMO is the quintessential example of perhaps the best looking modified RZ....ever. It just looks that good! I have copies of his build if your interested, stating all his modifications, actually here it is... http://www.ahrmamx.com/RZ350.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hes running a JMC swingarm and Jim Lomas side by side stainless pipes, Airtech YZR tailsectionhis wheels are adapted Honda CBR & NSR. He also built a equally sweet RZ500 & RC30/hawk replica.
You will find info on all these items in this website as well.
Mr. Perrys Yellow/ Black bike is my all time favorite and best looking RZ that fits the orig bodywork restomod hooligan concept of a RZ ..just perfect. To copy that build or improve upon it, one could not be faulted, as its the ultimate flattery.

IMO you just cannot improve the looks & graphics of the basic stock bodywork profile, I'd certainlly stick to just improving and accentuating the orig lines as its very hard to modernize the bikes apperance with bodywok thats 30 years newer.
IMO keeping the powervalve YPVS is a must, its what makes a little displacement bike like the RZ so much dammned fun! You can certainlly find much faster bikes but one would be very hard pressed to find a more entertaining "FUN" bike at any price.

But you have to build what you want & there are many people here to help you.
driftmaster

Post by driftmaster »

evan_calgary wrote:2nd bike is also on a TZR 3MA or 3XV frame. Tough to find stateside. RZs are great bikes. Lots of fun and pretty much the last of the roadgoing 2-strokes. Sounds like you are too rich/lean on your mains based on the description. a size or 2 makes a huge difference. Most recent build here was very different at different sizes between 185-200. Get the carbs right and will be even better.
Thanku you for the jetting info Evan! Ill get some jets comming.
RuZty
-----
-----

Post by RuZty »

If it has sat for thirty years the crank seals are on borrowed time. Rejetting without first replacing them, or at the very least pressure testing to confirm the integrity of the engine is a waste of time. Second bike above is a 3MA frame, and the fairing is off a YZF-R125, it is built by http://www.2moto.co.uk/products/2m400r.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . If your own picture won't load maybe you are linking to a file on your own hard drive?
Questo vecchio rz

Post by Questo vecchio rz »

Some advice: I'd rather see you smiling & riding than spending $ and not enjoying it, then selling it off unfinished.
Accept the RZ for what it is, a small but extreamly fun bike.

Get a factory service manual.

Jetting, I wont suggest anything outside of general proven RZ known setups. Too many variables. If your motor and carbs are original and stock airbox is in place, you should not have to rejet it should run good & safe.

If your carbs are stock 26mm w a 2-1 filter or indavidual filters then either a Dynojet kit (economy cycle) or Toomey jet kit (Toomey racing) is all you need.

Do yourself a favor, At this point in time. Dont start changing carbs in search of gains you probably wont find, keep the stock carbs they deliver unrivaled reliable street performance even on a hotrodded motor.

Even though its a friggin major job, the crankseals are a good maintenace idea. As you have seen its still runs after all these years, and many do for ages. No one can say if they will last, could be 300 miles could be 6000. Better safe than sorry. Majority of leaks occur@ the carbs & reed area always see thats all in order. You said carbon reeds? on bike thats been sitting so many years did you add them?

Again...remember 1st of all this is a small motorcycle dont expect miracles in performance vs most machines out there, taken for what it is @ 347cc its a great little bike. If you want a great fun street bike on a budget the following are good proven recomendations:

Swap to a 16 tooth counter sprocket (its mandatory)..lol
Stock 26mm carbs w either above mentioned jet kits.(see if your carbs are orig 26mm or aftermarket).
Simple performance reeds, TDR etc..
Aftermarket pipes (any), yes even your DGs. Some pipes are better than others, but for a all around fast street bike, Toomeys are the pipe to beat. There
are better looking far more expensive options for spec builds as well, but for a basic performance build theres no better bang for the buck than a used set of Toomeys.(been there done that.)
Standard head milling/shaving (make sure it has not already been done)!
Mild porting nothing too extreame Stage 1 or 2.
Good front fork revalve kit. (Race Tech gold valve emulators) etc...
Any bargain rear shock (Hagon) is the cheapest stock replacement at around $350.00, but still a good baduc shock.
Simple EBC brake pads or inexpensive adapter plates with R-1 calipers.

If you want more ultimate performance, its absolutley unlimited with this engine, For the price NO mass produced 2 stoke motor offers more performance potential...none. You have many options such as, more aggressive port work, billet or modified O ringed heads, aftermarket bigbore cylinders, stroker cranks, larger carbs to suit displacement, programmable ignitions, spec exhuasts for increased bore etc. All this comes at a much increased cost of money, reliability and a much narrowed less smooth powerband..but in some cases exceeding triple the H.P. of a stock machine.

Same goes for suspension skys the limit I'd recommend a JMC or Metachex swingarm built w your wheel choice over other conversions. Penske or Nitron or eqiv rear shock, proffessionally revalved front end conversions w proper rake & trail tripple clamps, steering dampner.

My advice, keep it as realistic as you can afford even on a budget one would be looking realistically at probably 5 grand, doing all the above w accociated work your absolutley looking well over 10 thousand $. But on a budget or unlimited checkbook its a riot of a bike either way.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
driftmaster

Post by driftmaster »

advice taken, thanks guys!

5k is what I have planed on spending. I guess I will focused on looks and suspension for now and crank seals. I do my
Own porting on the yamaha skis I ride and build. It's prety much a simple clean up to get ports pointed in the right direction along with widening the ex ports to 65% of boar. We look for bottom end on freestyle skis. Im guessing I would
want to may rise the ex a bit on the rz rather then widening so much?. Are their any how to porting threads here? I feel its something I can do myself when the engine gets seals. Do you guy finger port the cases? How much do you guys shave
the head? What about the proper squish band? Can I exstend the Stinger tube to make high exit exhaust on my DG Chambers? Then just add carbon stingers? I like the high exit look. Who sells decent rear sets? Who is the go to guy
for head milling and redoming if I choose to send it out? What gasket kit and where should I get it? Do you guys run the
stock fuel selector are one that has a off?

The guy was tring to put the bike back together before he sold it to me. Its when he put the reed in. Also it has a 2 into 1
kn filter. So thats pipes, reeds and kn filter, rest 100% stock.

Thank you guys again. I feel Im headed in the right direction now, thanks for saving me time money and headaches. I ordered r1 gauge stuff, 16 tooth,185 to 200 jets and few other things.

Yes, I have been trying to upload pix from hard drive. Can I not do it that way? Do I need to up load somewhere else and link here?
driftmaster

Post by driftmaster »

My file was to big.
Attachments
20161009_175037-1(1).jpg
20161009_175037-1(1).jpg (104.35 KiB) Viewed 3796 times