Project YTZ 250 Tri - Z

We love ALL motorcycles - post your non-2T custom build here!

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

Project YTZ 250 Tri - Z

Post by Questo vecchio rz »

The RZs dirty brother has come to stay.

Been looking a Looong time for the right bike @ the right price to come along. I scored a mefa deal on this machine!
Its a 1985 Yamaha YZT 250 Tri-Z , The baddest 3 wheeler racebike Yamaha ever built. This example has the 1986 parts added to it. Came with 2 sets if good OEM body work w no cracks! A top mounted fuel tank conversion also the orig fuel pump & underseat fueltank, a 6" extended swingarm for "large sand dunes", DG exhuast, wide axles, Douglas wheels, The motor has the Yamaha Factory wrench report Phase 2 modifications, Cylinder head, & added boost ports. This thing is lightweight and stupid fast for a 250cc 3wheeler racebike..its over 100 lbs lighter than a RZ with close to the same h.p as a stock RZ..let that rip in the dirt or sand...lol.
These are getting hard to find, like the Kawasaki Tecate and Hondas infamous 250R they were all "banned" in 1985. So I now have two 1985 Yamahas that were outlawed in America. :smt077 I've big plans for this puppy..the RZs going to have to wait awile longer.

Last edited by Questo vecchio rz on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
gpaddict

Re: New addition! 1985 Yamaha YTZ 250 Tri - Z

Post by gpaddict »

Nice find. suddenly I find myself wanting one. black and yellow of course!
tuned to Paris Hilton specs............rich and retarded!
Questo vecchio rz

gpaddict wrote:Nice find. suddenly I find myself wanting one. black and yellow of course!
You should be able to locate one as for reasons I cannot explain the Tri Zs were far more popular on the East coast & the Midwest, they remained realtivley uncommon on the West Coast. 85s are the most prevalent, final run 86s are rare and often sell for 2-3x the value of a 85, performance is still comparable but 86s were issued w a 6sp transmission. And Yes, the yellow & black :smt049 look really good.
Prices are all over the place, but I landed this complete running bike for less than I paid for the RZs swingarm. It certainly needs TLC, and compression is a tad low..but thats to be expected @ such a low buy in. GOD help my knees..lol
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

My friend was trying to find one when we were still in high school!!
Nice clean example. Lil bit of elbow grease will have it brapping around precariously in no time!
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Super sic.
84 RZ350 Spec II boost ports shaved head
Y boot 29mm PWKs billet manifold TDR Reeds Spec II pipes
Fox twin clicker JMC Braced swing arm
Tarozzi fork brace
Brembo 19 RCS Master ss lines blue spots EBC Vees
Spec 2 Full Fairing factory Solo Cowl
Questo vecchio rz

Re: Project YTZ 250 Tri - Z

Started to dig into the Tri-Z, with intentions of a July trip to Pismo Beach/Oceana dunes.
That goal, was shut down real quick... lol
Started with the yes you guessed it the sellers "so called rebuild".
Well it did have a recent top end, but the dipshit ran it with no air filter, so the walls were scored badly. It was supposed to have been ported, with an extra boost port added, but it's all stock which is now a blessing in disguise,considering the ineptitude of the guy who did the work. Quite a likeable guy, but frankly a true Moron.
Did a leak down, everything had leaks, case seals,reeds,cylinder head,cylinder base... lol(no kidding)..lol, and things got worse such as:

Carb 100% wrong.
Reeds bad, frayed.
Wrong throttle cable.
Bad head/swingarm bearings.
Wrong swingarm linkage.
Snapped off clutch bolts.
Clylinder head studs we're stripped couldn't tighten down the cylinder...lol.
Now the fun part..he welded the footpegs to the frame thus making it impossible to get the engine out of the frame instead of just repair n fabricating new mounts.
No choice but to slowly go through and do a decent basic restoration, nothing too clean, as it's a dirt bike, trying to make one brand new is just a dumb ass journey, if one really intends to actually ride it as it's supposed to be ridden , but it's still alot if time effort and money...UGgggg.
Just decided to do a 70mm last overbore, and get her running. Klemm Vintage still offers his legendary 350cc custom bigbore, so if I keep her that may be in the cards. Here are some entertaining curse word pics ..lol

Stripped flywheel threads: :smt023

Broken off clutch bolt : :smt023

Welded footpegs, creating a "captive" motor : :smt023
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
hondaror

Post by hondaror »

Ah, ya!
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine
MK

Post by MK »

Either you have a talent to buy the top mechanic apprentice assistants jobs of all around the US or there's a lot of that folk around :-)
Bye
Martin
Questo vecchio rz

MK wrote:Either you have a talent to buy the top mechanic apprentice assistants jobs of all around the US or there's a lot of that folk around :-)
Sometimes I wonder...my main problem is Aesthetics and love at 1st sight...lol gets me into trouble. :smt102 :smt102 :smt102
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500
ironspider433

Post by ironspider433 »

So, did you ever get the bike up and running?
Questo vecchio rz

No...not yet. Sidetracked with far too many projects.
But decided I'm doing a full cosmetic
Repaint/powdercoat. But waiting until I do my Banshee at the same time, it will save me $450.00 at the powdercoater if I do both at once plus all my hubs etc..
I'm also looking into a Klemm Vintage 350cc big bore cylinder, with the aggressive dual boost port mod...
There's Soooo nsny ways I can take the project ...Duner, MX, Desert racers etc...
The big problem I have is that the under seat 3.5 gallon fuel tank was replaced for 1 gallon Tri Zinger top mount...which is great for fkat track or short MX... but totally sucks for riding as it will burn 1 gallon of fuel every 15-20 minutes..
So I have to find a destitute TRI-Z which I can rob for it's parts...I'd also like to ditch the super extended swingarm for a shorter +2"-+4" this arm is kinda crazy...lol
Problem is every guy & his brother thinks these are worth good these days..a rusted hulk is going for 1-2k and I bought this bike running(poorly) as is for $700.00 If I remember...
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500