Daily Supermoto

We love ALL motorcycles - post your non-2T custom build here!

Moderator: rztom

Smoker

Re: Stunt Bike

Post by Smoker »

New handlebar #2 is on.

It's the lowest height oversize bar I could find, except a flat drag bar.

Grips are about where they were before the huge risers went on for the stabilizer.

The dark gold matches the other gold parts on the bike. Happy about that. :smt038

Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Shit!! My bad, this time....

Recently got a red, glossy rotating bar clamp for the front brake. But, the new levers have a rough, flat finish. So, I found a matching bar clamp AND a matching bar clamp with mirror mount for the clutch.

Bad news is, I didn't realize my clutch bar clamp has offset screws. Can't use the new one. :oops:

Oh, well. At least the brake side will match.

Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Sending an email to Japan to see if I can get parts from the manufacturer to repair the silencer.

Got a feeling they don't sell the parts I need. None of them are advertised for sale, but I'll give it a shot.

Sucks because the damage isn't all that bad, and it's an expensive part. Also thought about making a protector which would also cover the damage, but not sure.

There's also a scrape on the pipe which I sanded and polished out. Doesn't look right, but doesn't bother me too much on the multicolored pipe. Was considering going for a titanium up-pipe from the same company, but can't part with the novelty of a down-pipe on a dirt bike. :smt003
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Pipe manufacturer is pretty cool. They said sendind the silencer to them for repair would be cost prohibitive (?) but they offered to sell me the parts to fix it. Don't think many manufacturers do that.

Problem is, this is bike #1 right now. I want to keep the bike running until bike #2 is back on the road.

This makes me think I should just buy a new silencer, but they're damn expensive.

Just kind of stuck not knowing what to do.
two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

Post by two-stroke-brit »

So was your plan to take it of bike #1 and mount it on #2.
then what were you going to do to #1.??
sounds like a bond move (carry on #1)
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600
South_Oz
-----
-----

Post by South_Oz »

What about drilling out the rivets and fitting a piece of Stainless strap to cover the battle scars as a temp fix till your #2 is on the road?

Dave
RZ 250 85 (Waiting)
RZ 250 85 (Parts)
RGV VJ21 250, Australian Speed Record Holder, MPS/G 250, 140.5 MPH
BMW R1100S 99 (Its Red)
BMW R1200GS (Its BIG)

http://www.dlra.org.au/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

two-stroke-brit wrote:So was your plan to take it of bike #1 and mount it on #2.
then what were you going to do to #1.??
sounds like a bond move (carry on #1)
Lamb RZ350 is #2 for now.

Just have one WR.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

South_Oz wrote:What about drilling out the rivets and fitting a piece of Stainless strap to cover the battle scars as a temp fix till your #2 is on the road?

Dave
Not a bad idea. Just that I already have too much to do (and that's extra work).

But, yeah- I could ride it damaged until bike #2 is ready, then fix the silencer. If it doesn't go well, then I could buy a new silencer. Best plan, yet. :smt023
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

This is bad.

Got the bash bars freshly powder coated.

New plastic and new anodized aluminum and stainless hardware.

Getting ready to mount them up - and I notice one is bent about an inch out of shape!!

Fuck me, again.

Have no idea what happened. The aluminum is thick and solid. These bars were (unfortunately) not on the bike when I went down.

MK

Post by MK »

Sounds like an x-file for this guy:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uri_Geller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(He got somehow famous in the 70's for bending spoons just by slightly touching them ...)
Bye
Martin
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

MK wrote:Sounds like an x-file for this guy:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uri_Geller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(He got somehow famous in the 70's for bending spoons just by slightly touching them ...)
I wonder if the powdercoating would crack, if the bar was bent by telekinesis? :smt017
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Marchesini wheels arrived.

Unfortunately, not what I expected.

Happy to get the wheels, but I expected blue anodized Marchesini wheels - which I've seen before.

These wheels are either painted or powdercoated, and the blue is like metal flake midnight blue - not the blue I've seen on other Marchesini wheels. Sucks to spend a shitload of cash and not get the wheels I wanted.

May not install them right away. Still have lots of meat on the existing tires. Pics soon.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Well, I think it's my fault.

I had only seen the blue anodized Marchesini wheels, which are what I wanted. I didn't know about painted Marchesini wheels.

So, I didn't request blue anodized wheels, just blue wheels for a WR250X. Their supermoto/off-road wheels don't come in blue, except for special order.

Did some research, and found this statement on the Marchesini website:

"The M10RS Kompe, available for all the main sport and supersport motorcycle models, are liquid painted in a wide variety of colours."

My wheels came direct from the USA distributor. When I mentioned that my wheels are painted, the distributor was surprised and thought it's odd. My buyer at Friendly Yamaha definitely didn't know about painted wheels. Perhaps Marchesini uses paint instead of anodizing on the off-road wheels because a good paint job will withstand more punishment than anodizing.
two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

Post by two-stroke-brit »

Smoker wrote:Well, I think it's my fault.

Perhaps Marchesini uses paint instead of anodizing on the off-road wheels because a good paint job will withstand more punishment than anodizing.
i could be wrong,but i would think anodizing is more durable than paint as it actually penetrates the surface, were paint is only stuck on top of it.
mark :smt017
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

two-stroke-brit wrote:
Smoker wrote:Well, I think it's my fault.

Perhaps Marchesini uses paint instead of anodizing on the off-road wheels because a good paint job will withstand more punishment than anodizing.
i could be wrong,but i would think anodizing is more durable than paint as it actually penetrates the surface, were paint is only stuck on top of it.
mark :smt017
Not from my experience. The anodizing layer is thin, and scratches fairly easily. Paint is softer, but the layer is MUCH thicker, especially with clear over it.

I wanted anodizing because I prefer the lighter blue color, but the Marchesini paint job does look and feel like very high quality.