Rz350 power valve cycles after almost every kick

Central location for technical tips and information

Moderators: rztom, silverstrom

mtvnuccio

Rz350 power valve cycles after almost every kick

#1 Post by mtvnuccio » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:30 am

Maybe someone out there can help, 85'rz350 wont start now, power valve seems to cycle( like when you turn the key on) after almost every kick. I had it running earlier, now it doesn't seem to want to start... we have fuel, and spark. puzzling? I don't know, maybe its flooded. any ideas out there?

motosapien

Re: Rz350 power valve cycles after almost every kick

#2 Post by motosapien » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:55 am

mtvnuccio wrote:Maybe someone out there can help, 85'rz350 wont start now, power valve seems to cycle( like when you turn the key on) after almost every kick. I had it running earlier, now it doesn't seem to want to start... we have fuel, and spark. puzzling? I don't know, maybe its flooded. any ideas out there?
PV's are just fine and doing what they are supposed to and about the motor not firing up, it can be anything....from blocked jets, flooded cases or fouled plugs
2>4

evan_calgary

#3 Post by evan_calgary » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:07 pm

motosapien wrote:
mtvnuccio wrote:Maybe someone out there can help, 85'rz350 wont start now, power valve seems to cycle( like when you turn the key on) after almost every kick. I had it running earlier, now it doesn't seem to want to start... we have fuel, and spark. puzzling? I don't know, maybe its flooded. any ideas out there?
PV's are just fine and doing what they are supposed to and about the motor not firing up, it can be anything....from blocked jets, flooded cases or fouled plugs
Don't think so...PV should only cycle when you turn on the key, not after each kick.

As moto said on the rest though....you have not provided any info on what you have done. Check for spark, then fuel.

You do not need the power valves working to have the bike run.

motosapien

#4 Post by motosapien » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Oh yeah PV cycle everytime you turn the keys on as Evan said.
2>4

MK

#5 Post by MK » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:29 pm

PV's moving on kicking is ok.
They stay open when engine is off and try to close on idle.
So kicking just means increase in rpm and necessity to close.
Bye
Martin

motosapien

#6 Post by motosapien » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Ok here is the cycling sequence..
PV will be in open position when off.
Turn the ignition on: it closes and opens
Turn the bike on to idle: it closes.
Hope someone here can chime in and verify

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=gQuhmjaQlLY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
2>4

evan_calgary

#7 Post by evan_calgary » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Can't say I have ever heard mine cycle while kicking the bike over. Just my experience.

RuZty
-----
-----

#8 Post by RuZty » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Is it sputtering or even firing briefly? That could count as an on/off cycle to make the valves want to do their thing. Check your connectors and the wires going into them, maybe you have a marginal connection where you are momentarily losing your ignition as you kick, causing it to not start and also behave as if you just turned it on.

nath

#9 Post by nath » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:35 am

Hows your battery ? I remember having something similar to this when mine was toast.

I'm guess the voltage was dropping enough to reset the controller.

mtvnuccio

#10 Post by mtvnuccio » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:12 am

I finally got it running, it had an aftermarket excel coil installed, so I found a stock one and reinstalled it. Its still hard to start when cold and smells like fuel when it sits. I think the carbs have been messed with. Im not sure whats going on with the power valve... I thinks there are a few more bugs to work out.

Hooligan

#11 Post by Hooligan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:42 pm

mtvnuccio wrote:I finally got it running, it had an aftermarket excel coil installed, so I found a stock one and reinstalled it. Its still hard to start when cold and smells like fuel when it sits. I think the carbs have been messed with. Im not sure whats going on with the power valve... I thinks there are a few more bugs to work out.
These are old bikes. Check stuff like the fuel tap and the float valves. They tend to wear out or leak over time and will leak fuel out the carb overflow. To see if this is happening, mount clear fuel line to the carb overflow spigots and route the line upwards so it will show whatever level of fuel leakage is occurring.

A full carb clean and ultrasound is practically mandatory for a bike that sat a long time.

At this point the PV is the last problem to worry about. The bike will run fine whatever position it is in. It will really only affect running above 6K if it stays closed.

nath wrote:Hows your battery ? I remember having something similar to this when mine was toast.

I'm guess the voltage was dropping enough to reset the controller.
Battery won't make a difference. The battery in our 90 is toast and the bike starts same as normal.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

ulsterman

#12 Post by ulsterman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Check the ground ----Coming on and off or a postive is touching somewhere