Wow, what a day

Ride planning, upcoming events, or just tire-kicking get-togethers - post 'em here!

Moderator: rztom

pearljam724

Wow, what a day

#1 Post by pearljam724 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:14 am

Welp, it started out as a beautiful day to take a ride here in western, Pa. But, it didn't turn out so well. I was pulling away from a light when I heard a horrible noise under the tank. I thought a piston had seized. Didn't take a moment to investigate because I needed to get the bike off a somewhat busy road. I pushed it about a block to a restaurant parking lot. I noticed at this time, that the freaking chain popped off. I know damn well it was adjusted properly as I just adjusted it a couple days before. I was in a lot of fear that I damaged the engine case. But, had no way of telling because I had no tools with me at the time. Which is rare for me. So, I ventured a little walking distance in hopes to finding a few tools at the only store near that was open on a late Sunday evening. Lucky, to have found those. Ventured back to bike to find the front sprocket and nut had fallen off and the front sprocket was no where to be found. The nut threads were completely gone. Either the idiot previous owner installed it with hardly any threading on it or he under torqued it. But, I'm the idiot for not taking a look at it. Being, I found a hundred other half ass things about it since buying it. I was extremely relieved that no engine cases or anything else was damaged. But, the damaged nut wouldn't get me home. Even, had I found the sprocket. Long story shortened. I sat in restaurant parking lot for 4 hrs, far from home. Until, I finally got a hold of a flat bed. Being it was late Sunday evening and it was extremely hard to finally find someone available. That turned out to be outrageously expensive. Fun, stuff. But, relieved that it could have been much worse. Especially, if I was going a little faster than the 30 mph that I was doing at the time of the event. Also, relieved that the shafts threads are fine. So, I just need a new sprocket and nut. I put 1,000 miles on it prior to this happening. Just a little rant.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

Re: Wow, what a day

#2 Post by two-stroke-brit » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:55 pm

glad your ok, as you say ,it could have been much worse.
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

pearljam724

#3 Post by pearljam724 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:22 pm

two-stroke-brit wrote:glad your ok, as you say ,it could have been much worse.
Thanks, bud.

JonW

#4 Post by JonW » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:27 pm

The joys of sprocket nuts and DPOs who dont have the right tools...
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com