Anyone had this happen?

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

nokturnal
-----
-----

Re: Anyone had this happen?

#16 Post by nokturnal » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks Steve, I have been using that wiring diagram to think this through at work today.

I wondered if they used the opposite signal as a ground, but could not figure out how that would work without lighting up the other either, seems like you were thinking that too. Turns out that the idiot light bulb is enough of a resistor to keep the opposite side (the one you don't want to light up) from lighting up, while still providing a ground... unfortunately if you have LED signals then there is more than enough juice to give you 4-ways (which turns out to be my problem). I posted up on Norbos forum and had this pointed out to me.

looks like I am going to have to wire up some individual LEDs into the old idiot light holder. It will essentially be like having two dash lights, one for each side, but it will appear a single stock from outside the gauges.
:smt017

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: Anyone had this happen?

#17 Post by RuZty » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:17 am

Was looking at LED's today and saw a diode kit that reminded me of this post so I looked it up, seems this is a common setup with Japanese bikes and running low draw LED's does create the problem. Rather than change the indicator bulb to 2 LED's you can put a diode in each signal wire supplying it and ground the bulb.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;