2001 R1 Speedometer HOWTO

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

JonW

Re: 2001 R1 Speedometer HOWTO

#361 Post by JonW » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:36 pm

wow, thats a superb solution!
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

BoldRZ

#362 Post by BoldRZ » Sun May 28, 2017 8:42 pm

JonW wrote:wow, thats a superb solution!
Russ,
Sorry for not checking this earlier. You solution of using the CBR Reserve Sensor is genius. I did have a couple of questions.

1. I'm assuming you just use all of the wiring from that and don't use the relay approach that was posted earlier. Is that correct?
2. Does it matter which wire goes to which terminal from the RZ oil sensor harness? I'm also assuming you are just tying into that wiring.
3. From the exploded view of the CBR, it looks like it goes in the bottom of the tank. On the RZ it will be in the opposite orientation. Is that a problem?
4. Do you need to mount the CBR sensor in the RZ sender tube or just leave it out in the open after making adjustments so that it stays in the oil tank hole?
5. How is it working for you?

Thank you so much for figuring this out!

Nils

RuZty
-----
-----

#363 Post by RuZty » Mon May 29, 2017 12:52 am

Answers with your questions

1. I'm assuming you just use all of the wiring from that and don't use the relay approach that was posted earlier. Is that correct?
-No relay, ground the oil switch wire (R/B) to keep the oil light off and connect the fuel level wire (G/W) to ground through the CBR fuel level switch. This provides the gauge with the correct input for it to function properly.

2. Does it matter which wire goes to which terminal from the RZ oil sensor harness? I'm also assuming you are just tying into that wiring.
-Doesn't matter, it's a resistance to ground, one wire to the G/W on the gauge harness and one to ground.

3. From the exploded view of the CBR, it looks like it goes in the bottom of the tank. On the RZ it will be in the opposite orientation. Is that a problem?
-It would have been a problem for them to put it in the top of the fuel tank :smt002 , but in this case no problem. It's just a fancy resistor, no moving parts.

4. Do you need to mount the CBR sensor in the RZ sender tube or just leave it out in the open after making adjustments so that it stays in the oil tank hole?
-Install it as you see it, the one I made will be used as shown, no tube.

-It's not on the bike yet, front end swap this summer so that was something I could get out of the way ahead of time, so bench tested only. I don't see any potential problems but I'll report back if I find any.

BoldRZ

#364 Post by BoldRZ » Wed May 31, 2017 12:29 pm

RuZty wrote:Answers with your questions

-No relay, ground the oil switch wire (R/B) to keep the oil light off and connect the fuel level wire (G/W) to ground through the CBR fuel level switch. This provides the gauge with the correct input for it to function properly.

-Doesn't matter, it's a resistance to ground, one wire to the G/W on the gauge harness and one to ground.

-It would have been a problem for them to put it in the top of the fuel tank :smt002 , but in this case no problem. It's just a fancy resistor, no moving parts.

-Install it as you see it, the one I made will be used as shown, no tube.

-It's not on the bike yet, front end swap this summer so that was something I could get out of the way ahead of time, so bench tested only. I don't see any potential problems but I'll report back if I find any.
Russ,
Thank you so much! I'm not the greatest with wiring but I'll try and figure it out. If not, then I may have some more questions.

Now off to order the fuel reserve sensor.

Really genius!

Nils

RuZty
-----
-----

#365 Post by RuZty » Wed May 31, 2017 5:02 pm

It might be worth checking online if you are in a hurry, ordering through Honda parts department took nearly 2 months so obviously backordered from Japan.
Make sure you understand the wiring, or put a resistor in front of the sensor until you are sure (the gauge already does this). It will only last about 10 seconds dry otherwise.

BoldRZ

#366 Post by BoldRZ » Wed May 31, 2017 5:53 pm

RuZty wrote:It might be worth checking online if you are in a hurry, ordering through Honda parts department took nearly 2 months so obviously backordered from Japan.
Make sure you understand the wiring, or put a resistor in front of the sensor until you are sure (the gauge already does this). It will only last about 10 seconds dry otherwise.
Russ,
Partzilla said it had the sensor and the O-ring in stock so I ordered it. Hopefully it won't be 2 months.

As I'm looking at my bike I was wondering if the following was possible to try and keep the number of additional wires to a minimum:

-Use the B & B/R wires that go to the RZ Oil Sensor as the wires going to the CBR Reserve sensor that is replacing the RZ Oil Sensor.
-Use the B/R wire from the RZ wiring harness (oil level) up at the top of the wiring harness where it comes off the RZ instrument console and connect that to the G/W wire (Fuel Level) on the R1 harness. This brings the signal up through the existing wires and there might be no need to run another wire down. You'd just have to remember why you connected the RZ B/R wire to the R1 G/W wire.
-Connect the B/R wire on the R1 wiring harness to Ground to turn the Oil Light off.

Make sense?

Thanks!

Nils

RuZty
-----
-----

#367 Post by RuZty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:19 am

I finally completed this and it works great, I used the W/R from the ignition pickup to drive the tach.
With my RGV conversion I used a Leonelli speed sensor from a Ducati/Aprilia to count rear rotor bolts ( I used a modified Aprilia caliper bracket so it already had the mounting hole for it). I used a Speedo Healer set at +1380% and it reads accurate compared to GPS.
I also added a self cancel unit from https://safer-turn.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it works exactly as shown on their website.

To answer the above question from Nils (sorry I did not see your question earlier), yes your assumption is correct. That is what I did, in addition to rewiring the fuel light to the oil LED on the circuit board so I get an oil light when it's low and the trip meter starts. For the oil light wire on the R1 gauge, I didn't connect it since I had removed that LED from the circuit, but grounding the B/R wire will keep the oil light off.

JonW

#368 Post by JonW » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am

:smt023
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto