Connection of the ignition coil

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

kampinguru

Connection of the ignition coil

#1 Post by kampinguru » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:05 am

Good morning
I feel like an idiot here. I removed the coil from the 89 RZ350 Canadian edition and now when I put it back, I see that there is an orange and a black wire that connects to the tabs on the coil. I also see a ground wire with a ring connector on it coming from the same harness. My two questions are;
1. Where does the ground wire hook up
2. Does it matter which connector on the coil gets orange and which gets black. Which is which? Is Orange on the right or left side of the coil as you are sitting on the bike?

Thanks very much.

kampinguru

Re: Connection of the ignition coil

#2 Post by kampinguru » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:56 am

Does anyone have a chance to check this on their RZ for me. There is a small wiring harness with an orange and a black wire that plug into the coil. about 8 inches down the harness, there is a black wire with a ring connector. I need to know where these all connect. I dont want to blow up my coil. Thanks very much.

kampinguru

#3 Post by kampinguru » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:49 am

I found the answer.

motoholic71

#4 Post by motoholic71 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:58 am

The earth is irrelevant to the coil, it's just a frame connection that happens to be there and the other wires have no polarity, its your choice.
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper