84 KR RZ 350 - No Spark @ the plugs!

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

krmiller70

84 KR RZ 350 - No Spark @ the plugs!

#1 Post by krmiller70 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:53 pm

This maybe a silly or fundamental question...But it never hurts to ask!

I recently discovered 2 broken wires that are part of several wires making up and ultimately attached to the windings on the stator. The wires in question have cloth type insulation material covering them up to the point where the factory epoxy resin that coats the stator windings covers the wires.
These two wires are broken.
Question 1.
Would these broken wires cause a 'No Spark' scenario at the plugs?

Question 2.

I've read on here that in some cases the stators are factory matched to the CDI box and PV controllers?

Since my bike is an 84 with original stock ignition and charging system, if I were to replace the stator with either a rebuilt unit supplied by an outside vendor would I also need to replace the CDI box and PV controller or are all of the stators interchangeable and compatible ?

Thanks in advance for any help and insight.

krmiller70

evan_calgary

Re: 84 KR RZ 350 - No Spark @ the plugs!

#2 Post by evan_calgary » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Question 1. Yes. The stator is the most integral part for the spark short of a spark plug. You can run without a battery but not without a stator.

Question 2. Maybe. Search for my post called 'no spark'. On one of the last pages user MK (extremely helpful tuner, he has a great guide available for not much money as well) posted a chart of which stators/CDI combinations work. In some cases it is simply changing one wire which was my issue.

MK

#3 Post by MK » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Helpful yes, but I wouldn't consider myself a "tuner". Just an ambitious amateur compared to other people I know.

Try to measure resistance between the stator wires. White to white (3 combinations possible) should be 0.6 Ohms each.
This is the 12V supply and if that's ok, you can forget about stator or CDI and install a programmable DC CDI at almost the same costs but with a massive performance gain (>4 kW which is more than some pipes offer)

Then measure resistance between red/green/brown (3 combinations). One is around 5 Ohms, the other around 230 and the last is the former two added (235 Ohms).
This is the source coil and likely the 5 Ohms part is broken, i.e. an infinite resistance.
If that's the case you'll have no spark.

In rare cases the pickup is faulty. That's white-red against white-green. Should be some 115 Ohms and infinite if broken. In the latter case (you may guessed) there's no spark.

Concerning the table which CDI works with which rotor/stator: That one is really old and I only tested if bike would start. I have reports that some combos would start, but have issues in higher rpm whilst driving.
My current recommendation is always: If suitable get a programmable DC CDI as that's independent from a faulty source coil.
If you race a class where that's forbidden or you're one of those guys with original Japanese air in your tires: your problem .
Bye
Martin

evan_calgary

#4 Post by evan_calgary » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Ha! I like how you finish that out Martin.

So go pick up a Zeel after you find a good stator is essentially what Martin is saying...It will be a couple hundy more but not bad given where the exchange currently is...

krmiller70

#5 Post by krmiller70 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:23 pm

How much of pain in the back side are the zeeltronics to install and program? I've read several threads on here that have me questioning if it's worth it, especially since I plan on utilizing the PV. Can the PV controller be used with a zeeltronic? I sent mine to a guy in Greece so I can use different settings.

Thanks

evan_calgary

#6 Post by evan_calgary » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 pm

Zeel comes with or without the built in PV controller. May as well get the one with and you can easily change the opening rate....

RuZty
-----
-----

#7 Post by RuZty » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:03 pm

..and the Zeel comes with the stock programs preloaded so it is plug and play without having to buy a programmer. You can also now program with USB to a computer (need to buy his cable), and it isn't difficult.

MK

#8 Post by MK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:38 am

Zeeltronic offers different kind of boxes with and without integrated PV controller. The Ignitech can also feed the stock PV controller.

But if you ask me: I'd sell my modified box and run purely a progammable box. The reason is that with those you can not only modify the actuation rpms, but also the curve shape. Modified stock boxes alwas have a linear curve but a S-shaped curve is very beneficial for giving you a good kick.
Performance wise you may have around 80% of the potential covered with the modified stock box.

Btw: For those who are interested, I have written a modification manual:
http://www.rd350lc.de/index.php/downloa ... cation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bye
Martin