Intermittent spark issue

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

MotoMark84

Intermittent spark issue

#1 Post by MotoMark84 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:52 am

I've finally finished my long overdue 1983 RZ350 hybrid project and now I am having week/intermittent spark issues so I want to replace some ignition system parts with new components in order to get it running reliably. I tested the charge coil resistance with the following results. High speed red-brown wires resistance is 5.1 and my owners manual says it should be 5.3 +- 20% so my high speed resistance seams to be fine. My low speed brown-geeen wires resistance reads 323 and my owners manual says it should be 225 +- 20% so my high speed is way out. If the bike sits overnight it will have spark but after about 10-20 kicks of the kick starter the spark goes away.
I am interested in buying a Zeeltronic CDI unit hoping it will solve my problem. Also I found a replacement stator from http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catal ... 350-Stator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Does anyone know if a Zeel cdi unit will work with my faulty stator issue? Does a Zeel cdi work with all stator / flywheel combinations? Should I buy this replacement stator from regulatorrectifier.com? Will this aftermarket stator work with a Zeel cdi? Also which Zeel CDI should I buy? Please any advice would be appreciated. I am not very good with trouble shooting electric problems. Thanks

MotoMark84

Re: Intermittent spark issue

#2 Post by MotoMark84 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Well I decided to take a guess and I ordered the Zeeltronic PCDI 10VT programable CDI along with the USB programmer to use with a laptop. I'm hoping this will work with my current stator. Fingers crossed. I'll update in a couple weeks after my vacation.

justind97

#3 Post by justind97 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:44 am

Sounds like the cdi is warming up and crapping out. Normal on that year.
The zeel *should* fix the issue.

steveloomis
-----
-----

#4 Post by steveloomis » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Running a Zeel on my LC with 84 RZ engine. I too had an intermittent CDI, very normal for this year. No problems at all. Not sure which flywheel combos work but I suspect it will. Zeel is very adaptable and adjustable. Been a few years since I did the conversion so probably forgot the details so cannot really assist you at this time. Please post your results so others can learn.
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....