Lithium/solid state batteries

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: Lithium/solid state batteries

#16 Post by RuZty » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 am

Rory, are the ones you've seen issues with using a non-lead acid vehicle battery or an emergency light type battery? I played with those for a while as we had some surplus ones at my last job, but they didn't seem to like the bikes charging system. I have had less trouble with the Ballistic than any before it. I previously tried a Yuasa AGM battery (YT5L-BS) and found a Chinese knock off to last just as long for about a third of the price, but it was still more than the plain old stock replacement which last just as long if properly cared for.

kpke
-----
-----

#17 Post by kpke » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:06 am

The last “normal” lead acid battery I used developed a leak in one of the seams and leaked its juice onto the frame and other components. Fortunately this was on my ugly bike. There was no permanent damage, just a little less paint to remove should I ever "restore" that bike.

Since then I use cheap sealed AGM(?) alarm batteries as the standard replacement. IMO, these cheap alarm batteries last longer than the lead acid ones.

Except for the 2 ballistic batteries. One I bought new for the 500 (purchased for small size and light weight) and it sat for at least a year before ever being used. Every once in a while I would check the charge on it and it would always be holding. It now has approximately 2 years in service. As I mentioned earlier, the other one I pulled out of a bike I parted out and put it in the 83. Both of these bikes can sit for extended periods of time not on a charger and those batteries cycle the power valves like no other.

YMMV :smt023

hondaror

#18 Post by hondaror » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:08 am

RuZty wrote:Rory, are the ones you've seen issues with using a non-lead acid vehicle battery or an emergency light type battery? I played with those for a while as we had some surplus ones at my last job, but they didn't seem to like the bikes charging system. I have had less trouble with the Ballistic than any before it. I previously tried a Yuasa AGM battery (YT5L-BS) and found a Chinese knock off to last just as long for about a third of the price, but it was still more than the plain old stock replacement which last just as long if properly cared for.
I can't say for sure Russ, they were smaller then stock and light.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

evan_calgary

#19 Post by evan_calgary » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:45 pm

The stocker work fine but the battery is one of the easiest and cheapest places to lose weight. I am take a look at ballistic. I may just run a drill battery or something similar as they are cheap to replace.