Best ignition and pv controller

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Yamavarna

Best ignition and pv controller

#1 Post by Yamavarna » Fri May 21, 2021 9:30 pm

I’ve been searching the forum about a modern upgrade for my ignition and pv and have only found 2 options with the majority of the information on the Zeeltronics unit, which seems to be all I can use, I mean how many options are there for adjustments? What is everyone using and what is considered the best option money aside?
Last edited by Yamavarna on Mon May 24, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

MK

Re: Best ignition and pv controller

#2 Post by MK » Sat May 22, 2021 6:59 am

Your search obviously missed the Ignitech units.

As there's different types of Zeeltronic and Ignitech, there's no such thing as "best".
Especially as their technical features are pretty equal. There's a few small differences between them and it depends on your application whether that's an advantage or disadvantage over the other box.

At the end your decision will be a mix of pricing, necessary features, programming, local support & installation.

I've used maybe some 20 different boxes from both over the last 15 years and there not that different.

So here's some questions, that'll help to determine a suitable box
- Do you want to run the ignition on 12V or on the generator source coils? 12V has the advantage of not needing a working generator (source coils often fail) but if your 12V system fails, the bike won't run any more.
- Do you want one single box, or would 2 or 3 be suitable?
- Next to a programmable ignition and PV curve : Any other special features needed (shift control, shift light, solenoid controls, fuel pump,...)
- How about your computer knowledge : none, medium or high? (in other words: will you do the programming on your own, or need others to support you)
- How about your competence in car electrics? Are you able to read a wiring diagram and build harness / plugs
- What's the budget
Bye
Martin

Yamavarna

#3 Post by Yamavarna » Sat May 22, 2021 2:37 pm

MK, I did see the Ignitech but my “2 options” may have been congruent to brands vs models.
-12VDC would be better as I am running a Motogadget m-unit
-the number of boxes doesn’t really matter although is one box really simpler? or would more boxes be easier to troubleshoot
-I have downloaded maps and installed them before at the track but never actually fooled around with the 3D mapping, I do however have a basic understanding of fueling and ignition requirements
-I am building my own harness so any wiring could be accommodated
-the budget is not an issue, if I can get what I need it may be better than getting what I think I want; if that makes any sense?
Thanks for your help as I am getting very enthusiastic about this build and need all the help I can get

MK

#4 Post by MK » Sat May 22, 2021 2:56 pm

12V operation means a DC CDI.
All Ignitech fulfill that and all Zeeltronic PDCI's.

Going this way exclude the multiple box concepts from Zeeltronic (CDI RZ1 + VCDI 04 + PPV RZ). The advantage is that you only need to fix one it something is broken.

If you can program and build harness/plugs, both are equally feasible.
The Zeeltronic offers a Handheld or a PC cable which are both somewhat pricy (around 70 Eur). The handheld is good for on-the road testing or if you don't want to bring a laptop to the track.
The Ignitech only requires a cheap USB2Serial adapter (15 Eur) and a Windows PC.

Price wise the Ignitech have a small advantage over the Zeeltronics.

You may ask Borut for his recommendations, but I guess you'd need a PDCI 11 VT
https://zeeltronic.com/page/pdci-11vt.php
A PDCI 24 V would also be feasible.

From Ignitech I'd use the CD CDI P2
https://ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/dccdip2/dccdip2.htm
I'd not recommend the race units as they have much more options that are not important for road use (i.e. are much more complicated to program)

Both have wiring instructions for RD350YPVS available and both units can be purchased directly from the manufacturer.
Depending on where you are located, there are several resellers. For example Toomey offers a pre-wired/programmed plug and play Ignitech race.
Bye
Martin

Whymee

#5 Post by Whymee » Sat May 22, 2021 5:09 pm

Give ED Toomey a call at Ed Toomey Designs. He is also on Facebook if that is your style.

I believe he has a unit that will fit your application. Prolly be a map or 20 included...
2.5 RZ350's
2018 Grom
2017 KTM 390
2017 FZ-10
1973 RT3
1974 TY250
plus many others

Yamavarna

#6 Post by Yamavarna » Sat May 22, 2021 5:16 pm

I like the Zeeltronics PDCI-11VT, I have sent an inquiry to them and I will also contact Ed as I am buying my pipes from him, great info; it’s so nice to be able to build up a 35 year older motorcycle with modern technology!

Yamavarna

#7 Post by Yamavarna » Sun May 23, 2021 4:57 pm

No luck with Ed Toomey he has no ignition products. I am still waiting to hear back from Zeeltronics

MK

#8 Post by MK » Sun May 23, 2021 5:34 pm

Bye
Martin

Yamavarna

#9 Post by Yamavarna » Sun May 23, 2021 6:06 pm

Martin, I have never had any social media other than these forums and I’ve never felt I needed to, I guess I’m old and don’t get it

Yamavarna

#10 Post by Yamavarna » Mon May 24, 2021 10:11 am

I’ve been in touch with Borut and should be receiving my Zeeltronics in a July, hopefully I will also be receiving my package of pipes and parts from Ed Toomey around then also. In the meantime I’ll work on optimization of the chassis to harness the new suspension, brakes and tires. Then the wiring where I will start a new thread on building my new harness around the Motogadget m-unit blue.

Yamavarna

#11 Post by Yamavarna » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:57 am

So my package from Zeeltronics showed up and looks very well made
1183B032-C2F5-467F-94EB-B16CE1C585AC.jpeg
1183B032-C2F5-467F-94EB-B16CE1C585AC.jpeg (98.2 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
I’ll need some guidance for the next part: It seems I still need coils and a new (modern) stator and flywheel setup, I was looking at Banshee coils and the Power Dynamo Stator/flywheel setup. Any feedback here is welcome and needed as; the money is disappearing at an alarming rate and I have no experience in this area, thank you in advance!