Another Zeel thread

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

yellow79ss

#16 Post by yellow79ss » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Some have used a 4pin trailer connector cap as it fits well.

I see you read mypost. Have no clue as to what the advance is in a 31K curve. And if I'm reading this correctly, nether do you. Perhaps you can get your trusty lap-top out and look at the ign. advanced setting value.
"Don't lose your temper,Honey,or I'll help you find it." May West
1971 Perneli "Kawasaki" Jones MT1 75 Mini-Trail

Speedfreak955

Re: Another Zeel thread

#17 Post by Speedfreak955 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:16 pm

Nevermind.

steveloomis
-----
-----

#18 Post by steveloomis » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:39 am

I have been out of pocket for quite a while. I re-read my posts on setting up the Zeel. I had forgotten most of that but after re-reading it make perfect sense to me. As to the rather negative post of what is the 31k advance curve. It is included with the zeel for your use. I don't remember it now but if someone wants me to, I'll dig it up. It may even be on Boruts web page somewhere.

I just remember that I did fully understand the 34degree static setting and how to test it. Mine tested exactly that using the 20 degree flat curves set in the zeel for Testing ONLY. Adjusting the timing light for 20 degrees make the timing light flash at exactly TDC. TDC is very easy to find and mark. As long as the timing light flashes at TDC with this setup, you KNOW the 34 degrees is correct. (20 degrees has NOTHING to do with 34 degrees except to prove the 34 degrees is the exact static angle.)

Anyway if anyone has any questions about this, please let me know as I am now able to respond again. Wife has been sick so preoccupied with her for quite a spell.

Steve
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

steveloomis
-----
-----

#19 Post by steveloomis » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:04 am

yellow79ss I did go back and re-read your post. I thought I covered what the 34 degree setting is. It is STATIC angle. By using 20 degrees flat curve in the zeel for testing we are confirming the static angle is exactly 34 degrees. If it is not exactly 34 degrees then we need to adjust the static angle a degree or two to CORRECT the static angle. What the static angle is for the zeel is a reference point. It has to know exactly where the static angle is to correctly apply the advance curve you program in. The 31k Curve is a standard curve the factory uses. 31k is the model number of the RZ the curve comes from.

I googled 31k advance curve. It is in the RZ manual. At 1200 rpm it is 17 degrees as the engine speeds up it increases to 27 degrees at 3500 rpm above that is starts to decrease in a straight line to about 17 degrees or so at 9000 rpm, at 10000 it drops to about 9 degrees

LOOK IN THE MANUAL under specs. This should remove all doubt....

I know this post is old but others may benefit from it with this information.
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.

steveloomis
-----
-----

#20 Post by steveloomis » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:17 pm

We know the pickup coil is positioned at 34 degrees BTDC. When the flywheel magnets pass the coil it triggers it. This starts the timing in the zeel and it counts down the time to fire the plugs.

The zeel knows the rpm at any given moment so it will calculate the wait time per degree. For a timing of 27 degrees BTDC the zeel subtracts 34 - 27 and waits 7degrees of rotation before firing the plugs and so on.

Microprocessors deal with time precisely so it is going to be very accurate in determining when to fire. The OEM box uses an analog method of delay using capacitors, resistors etc to determine the time to wait. Components age and change over time so who knows (without a timing light) what the advance curve looks like.

Clear as mud??? :smt003 :smt003