Reinforcing crappy Airtech

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

Lopper

Reinforcing crappy Airtech

#1 Post by Lopper » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:05 am

Is it possible to make airtech fairings tougher? With another layer of fiber glass perhaps?

evan_calgary

Re: Reinforcing crappy Airtech

#2 Post by evan_calgary » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:12 am

I used 8 layer multi directional carbon where required but really your best bet is to make sure there is no stress on the parts and accept the fact that fiberglass will eventually crack. Airtech is still thicker than most race fairings although they latter usually use a more flexible resin (which I am assuming is still catalyst based) possible a vinyl ester or iso whatever it is called (jsut speculating).

What problems are you having? It may help to be more specific, my kit was overall fairly reasonable.

I think most people overlook the fact that airtech IS race glass. It will NOT fit or wear as well as stock plastic...I suspect I have over a full work week into my fairings just getting fitted and corrected to be more street acceptable.

I recently built a F2 with the airtech so if you have any questions feel free to ask...

Questo vecchio rz

#3 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:56 am

Lopper wrote:Is it possible to make airtech fairings tougher? With another layer of fiber glass perhaps?
Do you have the Airtech "stock" bikini fairing or the YZR or TZ OW style full fairing?

Short answer is yes. But as stated above, it will likley eventually crack & spiderweb. Depending upon the kit, it can be a mountain of work. Perhaps not so much on stock bodywork replacements ? but the YZR kit will definatley not wear well, especially the tail section as it must be "flexed" to install & remove from the subframe. Its 100 % race quality fiberglass which equals Thin & Flexible! I have 2 sets of YZR and GSXR glass man o' man the GSXR glass is paper thin & looks like a WWII airplane fuselage after a flack attack.

If your using the stock bodywork replacements, & you desire a long lasting (quality)I'd recommend that you dont, and purchase alternative from various other suppliers.

Here is the GSXR glass, To be fair its 30 year old unreinforced spec "race glass" , not exactly a fair example. You can clearly see what will eventually happen to (some degree) by looking closley one can see the extensive spiderwebbung inside the numberplate area. ( again this is 30 yr old racebike glass not the actual YZR product).
The YZR kits are (unused ) & unmounted but out of the box are spider webbing (hairline) cracks in the gelcoat. (pics would show the same dilema).They also need to be flexed for fittment, which will induce cracking regardless of ones effort. For a potentially lasting finish (non racebike) I would have to consider modifying my tailsections by splitting them and them widening them 1" when using the stock RZ subframe. NOTE* This is only the YZR kit, you should have better luck with stock replica pcs. with methods such as those stated in the above post. Its all you can do...is try.

Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

hondaror

#4 Post by hondaror » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:58 am

I have an AirTech fairing that the original owner requested an extra layer, which you can ask for. I have yet to mount it, but it seems excellent to me.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

Questo vecchio rz

#5 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 pm

hondaror wrote:I have an AirTech fairing that the original owner requested an extra layer, which you can ask for. I have yet to mount it, but it seems excellent to me.
Would be nice if Airtech even advertised that option, but by doing so they would leave themseves open to increased criticism. Wait uttil you see whats neccesary to install & remove the tail section..your gonna shake your head.
For a track bike or race bike..its just fine. But for a quality long lasting surface w a quality paintjob on top of it, its u fortunarly going to be a tough endevor.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

hondaror

#6 Post by hondaror » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm an ex racer, so I know what to expect. I'm all about function and decent looks, not showroom or museum pieces. Wanting showroom and maintaining that is setting up for disappointment. It's flexible fibreglass for crying out loud. It's light, and vibrates and flexes. Stuff happens. Get the bike running well and use it. For a quality paint job, I'd be sure to modify the pieces for ease of fitting and removing. I won't even go there. The beauty of fibreglass is the inexpensive replacement ability. Way cheaper than stock. Plus changing the look to something you prefer.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

Randy

#7 Post by Randy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:55 pm

I re-enforced my Airtech with carbon fibre and is holding up well. It looks great on the inside of the fairing with the carbon showing.
85 RZ 350, Lumas gp pipes, 28 pwk's, penske shock, Metmachex swing arm, R1 brakes and rotors, V-force4, custom yokes from NK Racing,Dymag magnesium 17" rims,Airtech bodywork re-enforced with carbon fibre

Questo vecchio rz

#8 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:51 am

Randy wrote:I re-enforced my Airtech with carbon fibre and is holding up well. It looks great on the inside of the fairing with the carbon showing.
Hey Randy, If you ever get the chane post or send some pictures.

Also any added info on where you sourced your carbon and application tips.

My only real concern..is attempting to make the gel coat as resistant to cracking as possible.

If you could post or send any photos of all your mounting points as well, I'm curious as to the seat mounting location, I've viewed several diffrent methods.

Any input us appreciated.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

freeheel

#9 Post by freeheel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 pm

I had them ad a layer at the factory for a tail section because I wanted it a bit stiffer then stock. They were very accommodative and it seems to be thick enough now IMO.