Color Rite Stormy Red

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

AlexG

Color Rite Stormy Red

#1 Post by AlexG » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm

I had a "mishap" the last riding day of the fall, and have to repaint the small upper fairing of my RZ350. Prep work is done, now the paint job.

As I only have to paint the top (Stormy Red) portion, I was thinking about just doing an aerosol job. Is Color Rite the way to go? It is still expensive; primer, base, color, clear=~110 U$S.

As I have a decent spray gun, I would like to know if there are any major cons about the aerosol approach. The 1/2 pint real paint will be about three times as much.

Also, can I apply catalyzed clear coat on top of the aerosol job? That can be a big improvement w/o too much extra cost.

Thanks to all for your help,

Alex

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: Color Rite Stormy Red

#2 Post by RuZty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:19 am

If you do decent prep work a spray can job can come out pretty good. The paint won't be as fade resistant over time but if you do a good job it will hold up to fairly close scrutiny. I would be hesitant to spray 2 part clear on top of an aerosol base as you might get a nasty interaction and wrinkling. If I was going to the trouble to spray it properly I would bite the bullet and do the whole thing.

Zedixe13
-----
-----

#3 Post by Zedixe13 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:34 pm

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forum ... p?t=264901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

logierob

#4 Post by logierob » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 am

Hi there
Here is what you can do to fix your body work. Remove the fairing and take it to an auto body and paint supply store and have it color matched and buy a half pint of freshly made paint. Much less risk there than color rite and you get to support a local guy at the same time.
Fix the affected area and scuff the rest of the fairing piece with grey scotch bright until there is no shine left on the paint (the idea here is to not go through the old clear coat to the color coat).
Then mask the parts you will not be painting red and then paint the red.
Unmask the other colors and paint the entire scuffed area and the freshly painted red with clear coat.
Viola!!! Your done
Here's the rub - If you have added filler to the damaged area you will need use a sealer over that area before the red is painted. the paint supply will sell you a compatible sealer
- If your damaged fairing piece is original paint there may be no clear coat to begin with so just clear the red section and don't scuff the non red sections
- If you buy fresh rattle cans from a paint supply shop you will not get any wrinkling of the paint work when you clear the piece
- Clean the entire piece first before doing any sanding or scuffing or you will be contaminating your fairing with whatever is on there. Soapy water then wax and grease remover. ( that awesome caranuba wax you or the previous owner used wont come off without wax and grease remover) Blow the dust off it and clean it often and make sure the wax and grease remover is well dried before painting.
-Buy a tack rag to remove dust and static electricity from your piece . Its sticky so don't press hard. This you should do with the paint gun in the other hand ready to spray its a good habit.
PM me if you have any questions
Cheers
Rob

logierob

#5 Post by logierob » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:31 am

Forgot to say one thing about color right!!! If it was any good at all of us in the industry would be using it !!! :smt003 . I just had a look at there pricing and it is out of this world. Even the best paint or most overpriced like house of color isn't that expensive. I have to say that they are marketing to the ignorant that have never used a auto paint supply company.
Rant is over
Peace out :smt040

AlexG

#6 Post by AlexG » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Guys, thanks for all the help. For starters, going back to Advanced Auto Parts to return the Bondo and primer, and visiting the Painters Supply shop to buy good stuff. Yes, after all the work, it does not make sense to "save" a few bucks on cheap stuff.

Will also try to get a color match of the Stormy Red at the paint shop instead of Color Rite.

Great advise about cleaning with soap and water before sanding; makes so much sense.

Again, thanks to all. Will post pictures when done.

Alex

Hooligan

#7 Post by Hooligan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:48 pm

We made a mistake with our Stormy Red application. The primer was that typical yellowish colour and that made the Stormy Red appear quite orange when applied over top of it.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

AlexG

#8 Post by AlexG » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Just by chance, I bought a can of SEM high build primer in white.

AlexG

#9 Post by AlexG » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Just an update for whatever is worth. This is my first paint job. I am a good mechanic, but the most important lesson from this incident:
Do not drop the bike because it cost some and takes forever to repair.

Got the paint from the local PPG store, after they did the color matching of the stormy red (turned out to be a Ford color)
Followed the directions of the Bay area riders forum link.
Used 2K clear coat, which is the way to go. Use a mask please, as the stuff is nasty.
Turned out very good (picture attached)

One word of advise: use a spare panel to practice, and to match the right amount of pearl after the base color. In my case, I used 4 pases of pearl, and I think that 2-3 would have been better. In any case, I am happy.

Side note 1: bought a windshield from e-bay along with the edge trim. The windshield fit is OK, but the material of the edge trim is PLASTIC. The factory one is rubber, and follows the contour much better. Difference between 7 and 27 dollars; go with factory part.

Side note 2: bought a bunch of plastic screws for the windshield and another bunch of large flange pop rivets (as I removed the metal brackets to weld the plastic). If anyone need a few, drop me a PM.

Thanks to all for keeping this forum alive and well.

AlexG
Attachments
IMG_0606 (1).JPG
IMG_0606 (1).JPG (94.38 KiB) Viewed 2781 times

Forzfed

#10 Post by Forzfed » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Glad your happy with it! :smt004 The picture you have isn't the greatest, there is no light. I would like to see some other pictures of it in the sun. With the shadows in your pic it is hard to see if it is a good match.
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage