Low Budget Purple Project

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

Re: Low Budget Purple Project

#1231 Post by two-stroke-brit » Wed May 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Looks more like stills from the "panning for gold" show.
catastrophic failure at max rpm,renders that to parts motor ,i would think. :smt022
poor kawi triple :smt037
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

hondaror

#1232 Post by hondaror » Wed May 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Just put it all back together. It should run on the other Two. Anyone want to buy a bike from me?!
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

RuZty
-----
-----

#1233 Post by RuZty » Wed May 10, 2017 11:33 pm

I don't even know if 'spectacularly catastrophic' covers that. I guess the extra cylinder on a triple helps beat a bad one to death twice as fast as a twin could.
Interesting to see the Wolf pipes next to Toomeys, they look very similar. I met Gary Wolf a few times back in the late '80s, he built the exhaust for a Formula SAE car I was working on. Interesting guy, and a very good fabricator.

hondaror

#1234 Post by hondaror » Fri May 12, 2017 2:36 am

RuZty wrote:I don't even know if 'spectacularly catastrophic' covers that. I guess the extra cylinder on a triple helps beat a bad one to death twice as fast as a twin could.
Interesting to see the Wolf pipes next to Toomeys, they look very similar. I met Gary Wolf a few times back in the late '80s, he built the exhaust for a Formula SAE car I was working on. Interesting guy, and a very good fabricator.
Damned near identical Russ!
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

alex_d

#1235 Post by alex_d » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Off Road,

you have made an excessive research about FZ600 swing arm. Great work !

Im in the process of installing a FZ600 swinger with early R6 shock and keeping 18” rear wheel.

Is there a way from you spreadsheet to find out for my setup the length for the dog bones ?

Thanx,

Alex

Off Road
-----
-----

#1236 Post by Off Road » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Hey Alex.

Yes, the spreadsheet can do that.

The spreadsheet calculates the Ride Height Decrease that you get when you install an FZ600 Swingarm and FZ600 dogbones.
You can then adjust the length of the dogbone, until you regain all of your ride height.

The ride height decrease that you get also depends on how long the shock is.
I would need to know the length of the R6 shock, from center to center of the eyelets, in millimeters.

The spreadsheet also calculates Rear Wheel Travel and how much force on the rear wheel, is needed to compress the shock.
Shortening the dogbones will Reduce Rear Wheel Travel, and it will Increase the amount of force that is required to compress the shock.
The result (according to the spreadsheet), is that the suspension is stiffer during the last half of the shock travel.

In order to see how the R6 shock compresses when force is applied to the wheel, I would need to know the spring rate for the R6 shock.

Hera's a link to a post I made showing the following spreadsheets:

RZ with Stock RZ Shock, Swingarm, and Dogbones
RZ with Stock RZ Shock, FZ600 Swingarm, and FZ600 Dogbones.
RZ with Ohlins Shock, FZ600 Swingarm, and FZ600 Dogbones.

It also shows how my calculated results compare to actual measurements made on the bike.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4050&start=1200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're interested in playing with the spreadsheet yourself, you can download a copy of it from this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Off Road
-----
-----

#1237 Post by Off Road » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:27 pm

March 29, 2017 – My new stroker motor was finished and ready to install.

April 18, 2017 – The rolling chassis had been cleaned, and polished.

June 11, 2017 – The rolling chassis has been moved from the shop to my garage.

And the motor’s been relocated to the basement.

Felt bad for ignoring the bike, so the following day, I spent a few hours and put the motor back into the frame, and then I pressure tested it again.

It passed again, so I hooked up the rad and coolant lines and called it a day.

Off Road
-----
-----

#1238 Post by Off Road » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Yesterday, I went for a ride with a few guys from work.
When I got home, I figured I’d work on the project bike for a bit.

Went into the garage, and the first thing I notice is a fresh puddle of oil on the floor under my bike.
Interesting, because I haven’t put any tranny oil in the motor yet.
Looked a bit closer and confirmed what I already knew. It was 2 stroke oil that was dripping.

I checked all the hoses on the pump, and they were all sealed and dry. Damn.
My next thought was that it was my oil pump seal leaking oil into the tranny and then out from the clutch cover gasket.
Did I put the oil seal in backwards? Can you put it in backwards?
The seals kinda multi-directional. It keeps 2 stroke oil confined to one side, and tranny oil on the other.

The leaking seal bummed me out. Now I have to disconnect rad hoses and oil lines, pull the clutch cover, pull the oil pump, change the seal and put it all back together.

But what really pissed me off was that my brand new oem clutch cover gasket wasn’t keeping the 2T oil inside the engine. WTF?

Grabbed some tools and a trouble light, got down on the floor and prepared to have at the job.
With the bright light in my hand, and my nose about 6” from the pump, I saw oil sitting in the cover underneath the pump.
When I looked closer, I could see oil on the bottom of the pump, and I followed the line of oil across the bottom of the pump and up the side to the….oil drain screw.
It seems that I forgot to tighten the silly thing. Oops my bad.

With that crisis averted, I finished setting up the carbs.
Installed new 430 main jets, new 25 pilot jets, and put the needle clip in the 4th grove, with a washer under the clip.
Gotta start somewhere with the jetting.

As far as I know, there are only 3 things left to do before I can start the engine.
Install the pipes
Put some oil in the transmission.
Fill the rad with coolant.

:smt026

Off Road
-----
-----

#1239 Post by Off Road » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:33 pm

But, I have another problem.
I’ve installed a set of shortened FZ600 dogbones on this bike. This raised the rear ride height of the bike by a bit over 1”.
It also moved the rear Master cylinder up and further away from the rear caliper.
This makes my rear brake line tighter than a fiddle string.
I’ve got a couple of longer lines, just need to get one of them installed.

evan_calgary

#1240 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:38 pm

So very detailed oriented! Nice looking bike. You are right that rear line is very tight! If you need a line I am installing a single on the TZR so will have a spare. Let me know!

alex_d

#1241 Post by alex_d » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:25 am

Hi, thanx for the reply.
Right now in the mess with all kind of stuff, will come back to this ..

Cheers

Off Road
-----
-----

#1242 Post by Off Road » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:35 am

Off Road wrote: As far as I know, there are only 3 things left to do before I can start the engine.
Install the pipes
Put some oil in the transmission.
Fill the rad with coolant.
:smt026
OK, 3 things to do before starting the engine. I guess that was more or less correct.
However, the actual To-Do List was a bit more involved.
Since posting that remark, I’ve done the following:

Installed and bled a new rear brake line.

Torqued down the nut on the front drive sprocket.
Adjusted the chain, tightened the rear axle and brakes.
Installed the kick-starter and oil pump cover.
Installed the sprocket cover and shift lever.
Installed the air filter.
Installed the front fender.
Tightened the front brakes, front axle, and speedo cable
Filled the rad with coolant, put oil in the tranny,
and installed the black triangular covers in the frame.

My To-Do list is getting shorter. Or my memory’s getting shorter. Or both.
But, there's really not that much left to do.

Install the pipes and a gas tank – and I should be able to start it.

Install the seat, side panels, rear cowl and license plate – and I should be able to ride it up and down the street.

Off Road
-----
-----

#1243 Post by Off Road » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:17 am

The bike is all back together.
The stroker motor has been installed.
The carbs were ultrasonic cleaned, have new jets.
The K&N air filter was cleaned and re-oiled.
The pipes are on, the clutch has been adjusted, the oil pump’s been bled.
And it has fresh transmission oil and coolant.
I just have to turn the key On, and kick it over until it starts.
It’s ready to go.

It’s been ready for over 2 weeks, and I still haven’t started it. Not really sure why.

It might be because I don’t want to ride the Bike because it’s not Finished.
I still need to get the new tires put on. I want to get the EGT gauge installed.
And I wouldn’t mind getting it painted. Any color, as long as it’s not purple.

If you start riding it before it’s finished, it will never get finished.

Another theory is that it’s because of money.
Do I really need an expensive new motor for this bike?
The old motor made 60 HP and ran great.
I could put it back in the bike and sell the stroker motor and pipes.

If a person was looking to build this motor right now, it would cost $4000 to $5000 Can ($3200 to $4000 US).
(Depending on what part of Canada that you live in, how well you know the parts guy at local bike shop, and how much you pay for shipping on EBay items)
And that doesn’t include the time to disassemble, clean, paint, polish, reassemble & test the engine.

- Used Motor - $300-$500
- Stroker Crank - $500-$650
- 795 Pistons -$200-$250
- Stroker Head - $100-$150
- Ported Cylinders - $650-$750
- Cylinder Boring - $150-$250
- EBC clutch & springs - $100-$150
- Arrow Oil Pump - $130-$150
- All new OEM Gaskets, Seals and Reeds - $400-$500
- Chrome Plated Pipes -$1200-$1500
- Rebuilt carbs $100
- Toomey Y-Boot & Filter $100

Currently, the motor & pipes are all brand new, and should be worth a pretty good dollar.

If I start it, I turn all my expensive, go-fast components into a pile of used parts.

It’s also possible that I haven’t started the motor due to fear and good judgment.
I’m not a mechanic.
I have no training or education.
I have very limited experience building modified, high performance 2-stroke engines.
And I have even less experience tuning them.
It would kinda suck if I blew up the new motor, because I did something stupid (or forgot to do something important).

If you really don’t want it to blow up, then don’t start it.

Option A – Do the responsible thing. Don’t take any chances. Sell the motor while it’s still worth something. Use the money to pay off some bills.

Option B – Do the selfish thing. Live a little. Fire it up. Enjoy the power. Ride it like I stole it. Have some fun.

Life’s full of tough choices. I’ll let you know how it goes.

hondaror

#1244 Post by hondaror » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:06 am

You'll have to wait until we dyno Lee's RZ tomorrow. If it's more than 60 bhp, you have to make your striker a bunch of used parts to top the +60.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

Off Road
-----
-----

#1245 Post by Off Road » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:40 am

Hey folks. Long time, no updates.
In my last post I told you that the stroker motor was finished and installed in the bike.
All I had to do was push it outside, and kick it over until it started.
It’s been 4 months since that post, and I thought you might be interested in hearing my thoughts on the new motor and pipes.
Maybe a few small details, like…
How does it sound?
How does it run?
How much power does it make?
Has it blown up yet?

The answer to the last question is, No, it has not blown up.
The answer to the other 3 questions is, I don’t know. I still haven’t started it.

The “motor” was done in August, but I still wanted to do a few things to the rest of the “bike”.
So, I decided to ride my track bike for the summer, finish this bike over the winter, and have it ready for the road next spring.
I haven’t done too much to it yet, but did manage to get a few small items accomplished.

- I replaced the blue, 8 mm, Taylor spark plug wires with a new set of red, 8.5 mm, MSD spark plug wires.
(This should give me a significant HP increase of at least 0.0001 HP. But the bike will probably be slower due to the added weight of the thicker wires. At least they look cool.)

- I bought a brand new 150/70ZR18, Bridgestone BT016 rear tire from one of my distributors.
(He had 3 of them and was blowing them out for $75.00Can. A sticky 18” radial tire for $55.00 US. I just had to buy one.)

- I ordered a new Koso exhaust gas temperature gauge.
(I know what the EGT is on the track bike at 6K, 7K, 8K, 9K RPM, and it hasn’t melted.
If I keep the EGT on the stroker motor close to the EGT on the track bike, then hopefully it will also live a long and healthy life.)

- I sent the tank and bodywork out to be painted.
(Yes, you read that correctly. It’s official. I finally opened my wallet real wide, and paid somebody to paint my bike. I was really tired of it being purple.)

Currently, I’m building a new aluminum bracket that will support the braided steel line that runs between the Ohlins shock and the remote reservoir.
To be honest, the braided steel line doesn’t need any support. It tucks in really nice just the way it is.
The bracket is purely cosmetic. It’s just an excuse for me to put another piece of shiny aluminum on my bike.

I also need to build a new (shiny aluminum) bracket to hold the EGT gauge, but I can’t do that until next month when the Koso gauge arrives.