Track Bike - Plan B

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Off Road
-----
-----

Re: Track Bike - Plan B

#481 Post by Off Road » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:44 am

Hey Rusty. Thanks for the offer. I’ll send you a PM.
Questo vecchio rz wrote: 7.) Make sure your clutch is in great condition, not good but great.
Thanks for tip. You are the man. [smilie=notworthy.gif]

My clutch arrived today and I put the fiber plates in tranny oil to soak.
I drained the old tranny oil and coolant out of the bike, removed the clutch cover, and pulled the clutch.

The first 6 clutch plates came out fine.
The last clutch plate came out in pieces.

And there’s a pretty big piece that’s still missing. :smt012
There was a lot of crap in the old oil and a few bits of aluminum shrapnel in the clutch cover,
but I don’t know if that accounts for all of the missing material or not. :smt017

The only way to know for sure is to split the cases and check the tranny, and that just ain’t gonna happen.

After work tomorrow, I’ll install the new clutch, put the bike back together and make it run.
Then I’ll dig out and pack up all the parts, tools, cloths and gear that I need for the weekend,
so that I can get on the road early Friday morning to make the 10 hour drive to the racetrack.

It looks like I’ll be testing the new clutch during the 1st round of qualifying on Saturday.

After qualifying, I’ll drain the tranny oil and install some new oil.
Hopefully the oil flush will get rid of some more of the crap that might still be in the tranny.
Attachments
r061.JPG
r061.JPG (126.79 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

hondaror

#482 Post by hondaror » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:16 am

Rusty is awesome!

Steve, you make that bike look big. Everyone tells me, I make my bike look small.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

Questo vecchio rz

#483 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:56 am

. 10 HR DRIVE TO THE TRACK
Yiiiikes [smilie=beer.gif] that's dedication...lol obviously ,your clutch is going to engage much quicker and harder, be prepared for a jumpy start only due to the fact your not used to it...you'll get it, just focus on a optimal quick release just enough to keep your revs climbing. Should be fun, enjoy.
Once you get all the little things done, you'll be having alot of fun.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Off Road
-----
-----

#484 Post by Off Road » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:10 am

I got the new clutch installed and had the bike together around 9:30 at night.
Took the bike for a 3 or 4 mile ride and everything was fine.
Now that I had a bike to race, I started packing up everything else that I could possible need on a 4 day road trip.
We left Calgary around 11:00 am Friday Morning and arrived at the track in Fort Saint John about 10:00 pm that night.
Set up camp, had a few wobbly pop, and called it a night.

Saturday, Aug. 11, 2011 – Race 4 of the CMDRA series.

Tech Inspection at 8:30 and then an open test and tune starting around 10:00 am.

I made 2 runs in the open test session, and then did 4 qualifying rounds (2 for Street and 2 for the Hot twin class).
During the first 6 passes down the track, my ET’s were all between 13.22 and 13.36 seconds.
Then I went out for round 3 of the Hot Twin class and ran 13.04 seconds, and I had my best reaction time ever, at 0.101 seconds.
In round 3 qualifying for Street I THOUGHT I ran 13.23 seconds. (more about this later)

For the Elimination rounds, I dialed in a time of 13.05 seconds.
(It was a bit optimistic. I should have gone with 13.20, but I was feeling lucky.)

In Round 1 of the Street Eliminations, I ran at 13.34 seconds and lost the race.

In Round 1 of the Hot Twin Eliminations, I had my worst run of the day, so far.
I ran at 13.39 seconds, but…..I still managed to win.
My competitor, who is in second place in the Hot Twin class, stalled his bike at the light.

Like my buddy says, it’s not the guy who does the best that wins, it's the guy who f*cks up the least.

In Round 2 of the Hot Twin Eliminations, I ran a dismal 13.45 seconds and was soundly defeated.

Sunday, Aug. 12, 2011 – Race 5 of the CMDRA series.

There was no test session, so I only made 4 qualifying rounds (2 for Street and 2 for the Hot twin class).
My ET’s were between 13.17 and 13.59 seconds. Not great.
The only good news was that during round 1 of qualifying for the Hot Twin class, I had a reaction time of 0.075 seconds. Whoop. Whoop

For a dial in time, I went with 13.20 seconds. It seemed reasonable since my best run of the day was 13.17.

In Round 1 of the Street Eliminations, I ran at 13.08 seconds, broke out, and was eliminated.

The bike was running pretty good, so I quickly changed my Hot Twin dial in time to 13.10 seconds.

In Round 1 of the Hot Twin Eliminations, I ran 13.05 seconds, broke out, and was eliminated

And that was it. My racing was done. Nothing left to do but load up the bikes and head for home.

Off Road
-----
-----

#485 Post by Off Road » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:10 am

Highlights of the weekend.

Let’s start with the thing that was incredibly obvious on the first pass down the track.
The new gearing and clubman bars are a great improvement.
Over the weekend I made 19 passes down the track and didn’t do any sky wheelies. Not even one.

I did pull off a couple of really nice 2nd gear wheelies.
On my 1st pass of the day, I hit 2nd gear and whacked the throttle and the front wheel started coming up, and up, and up, and finally I chickened out and shifted into 3rd.
But the wheel came up nice and slow, not like the wheelies that I was doing at the other tracks, where the wheel came straight up, really fast.
During the first round of qualifying I did the same thing, only this time I held the throttle and rode it out.
After qualifying, a couple of old guys who were watching came over to check out the bike and chat.
They said the wheel was about a foot off the ground, and I carried it for 20 or 25 feet.
(If that’s true, then it was my best wheelie ever in my life,).

So, the new gears and bars helped prevent the out of control, 1st gear wheelies, but there was also another contributing factor.
My Clutch Sucks.

The new EBC clutch plates worked great. They didn’t slip at all. The clutch releases fine and engages nice.
It works great, on the street.

But there’s a lot of play in the clutch basket, and there are some grooves wore into both the basket and the clutch hub.
The grooves are preventing the plates from fully separating and the clutch drags a bit.
At 2000, 2500, 3000 rpm it’s not noticeable at all.
At 4000 rpm, the clutch wants to pull the bike forward, and I literally have to hold it back, using my feet.
At 4500 rpm, there’s no holding it back. I have to apply the front brake to keep the bike from moving.

For the majority of my runs last weekend, the engine was revving at 4000 rpm when the light turned green.
Unfortunately, this rpm was bit low and the bike would still bog, before hitting the power band and taking off.

So, my clutch isn’t ideal, but, as we all know, there is a simple solution to my problem.
Just roll on more throttle and slowly let out the clutch.
You know, - Learn How To Ride The Motorcycle.

It sounds so simple when you say it fast.
And on the street, I have no problem; I’m a master at slipping a clutch. I can pull away from a stoplight at an idle.
But put a green light in front of me and I forget to roll on the throttle as I’m letting out the clutch.
Ooops, my bad. But I’m working on it.
(Really hope I catch on soon. Just about stalled the bike on one of my runs)

My reaction times are coming down. My best time so far is 0.075 sec.
I finally had a reaction time that was measured in hundreds of a second, instead of tenths of a second. Whoop. Whoop.
In Rimbey, my Average reaction time over 20 runs, was 0.408 sec.
In Edmonton, my Average reaction time over 12 runs, was 0.328 sec.
In Ft. St. John, my Average reaction time over 19 runs, was 0.286 sec.

My E.T.’s are also coming down
In Edmonton, my Average ¼ mile E.T., over 12 runs, was 13.613 sec.
In Ft. St. John, my Average ¼ mile E.T., over 19 runs, was 13.287 sec.

In addition my 60’ times are also coming down.
In Edmonton, my Average 60’ time, over 12 runs, was 2.360 sec.
In Ft. St. John, my Average 60’ time, over 19 runs, was 2.265 sec.

From looking at the averages, and comparing them to individual runs, a reduction of 0.1 seconds on my 60’ times, is giving me a 0.2 to 0.3 faster E.T.
On my faster runs, my 60’ times have been just over 2.1 seconds.

Qualifying Round 1 - 60’ time of 2.119 sec., and an E.T. of 13.038 sec.
Elimination Round 1 – 60’ time of 2.113 sec., and an E.T. of 13.058 sec.

If I can ever learn to launch this bike, I’m hoping to get my 60’ times under 2.0 seconds.

For comparison, the 2 Victory bikes have 60' times of 1.8 to 1.9 seconds, and ¼ mile times between 12.4 and 12.6 seconds.

The Kawi triple is still being tweaked, so it didn’t race last weekend, but it did make 3 passes down the rack during the open test session.
His 60’ times were between 1.4 and 1.6 seconds, and his ET’s are getting quicker.

Run1 in 11.11 sec. at 120 mph
Run 2 in 10.78 sec. at 119 mph
Run 3 in 10.16 sec. at 123 mph.

And the final surprise for the evening.
In my last 2 rounds of Elimination on Sunday, I went too fast, broke out, and lost both races.
I was a little bummed. If I was going to go too fast, the least I could have done was break into the 12 second bracket. WTF?

Last night I was organizing my time slips and putting all the information into a spreadsheet, when I noticed something interesting.

In Sundays Round 3 Street Qualifying, I ran at 13.038 seconds.
In Round 3 Qualifying for Hot Twin, I ran at 13.226 seconds. Or so I thought.
When I rechecked the time slips, I discovered that it was the guy in the other lane that ran 13.226.
My time was actually a new record for me.

60’ time of 2.104 seconds,

and a ¼ mile time of 12.975 seconds. :smt026
Attachments
r062.JPG
r062.JPG (169.05 KiB) Viewed 1292 times

hondaror

#486 Post by hondaror » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:41 am

Peewee Gleason, look out. Old man Brownlee is moving in.

Great report Steve. Time to drop your dial in time. Oh, you might want to file off those clutch basket grooves on the basket fingers. That would help you a little.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

rzrej

#487 Post by rzrej » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:23 pm

Great write up Steve.........I was positive you would break into the 12's with your setup, and you did! Well done. Setting the bar higher every time you go out.
Keep it up. Nice to see your reaction times plunging, bit a practice and getting results. Hey Rory, I think Steve is lighter than Peewee Gleason, lol.

I hope you can make it to Medicine Hat Steve, I think it is on your agenda. Pretty sure I can make it down for that. It is an ''all bike drags'' event so no cars.
It's only a 6 hour ride from here.

Nice to see Don's triple start to perform; is he bringing that to the Hat? Hope so.

Off Road
-----
-----

#488 Post by Off Road » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:34 am

Hey Reg. We should talk.
I'd give you a call but I lost your number. So, I sent you an email.

After the last race, I took the bike apart and did some minor modifications and routine maintenance. :smt005
I finished reassembling it today and now that it’s all good(ish), I thought I’d update you on the bike, and the races that are happening next weekend.

At the last race a fellow was wearing a t-shirt that said:
Race it.
Break it
Fix it.
Repeat.

At the time I thought it was funny, now it seems more like a prophesy.

The last race was 600 miles from home. I rode up with another guy who was taking his motorhome and hauling a 2 bike enclosed trailer.
Unfortunately, we had 3 bikes stuffed into it and during the trip a toolbox shifted and took out my taillight and a turn signal.
Ooops.
Fortunately, I had a couple of spare taillights and half dozen spare turn signals, so all it cost me was a bit of time to fix it.

When I put the clubman bars on the bike, I had a bit of a problem getting them to fit, because they hit on the fork cap.
The fork cap on the 83/84 RZ’s sticks up 5/8” above the top of the fork tube.
In order to get the bars to fit, I had to install a set of handlebar risers.
The risers that I had, raised the bars 0.7” (18mm).
After raising the clubman bars 18 mm, I was able to raise the forks tubes up, so that they stuck up 10 mm above the top of the fork clamp.
I didn’t like the risers, so I started rummaging through parts to see if I could come up with a better plan.

I found a set of 85 Canadian RZ fork caps. These caps thread into the fork tubes the same as the 83 caps,
but they have a ¼” lower profile and only stick up 3/8” above the top of the fork tube.
With the 85 caps installed, I was able to remove the risers (lowering the bars 18 mm),
But I had to push the forks 3 mm back down in the clamps.
So now, the fork tubes are only sticking up 7 mm above the top of the upper triple clamp.

So, I lowered the bars by 0.7”, and lengthened the forks by 1/8”, from my previous setup.
In addition, I was now able to rotate the bars further forward, before they hit on the gauges.
Due to the shape of the bars, this moves my hands forward about an inch, and down by the same amount.
Hopefully this will put a bit more weight on the front end and help keep it in contact with the pavement.

Now we get to the bigger issue. The clutch.
Questo gave some really smart advice when he said that my clutch should be Great.
Unfortunately my clutch is only good.
It works just fine on the street. It never slips, and I can pull away from the lights at 2000 or 3000 rpm, no problem.

However, when the bike’s in gear and the clutch is pulled in and the engine is revving at 4500 rpm, the clutch drags, and starts pulling the bike forward.
I assume, (and have been told by others), that the clutch is dragging due to the large grooves that are worn into both my clutch basket and the inner clutch boss.

Three weeks ago when I replaced the fiber discs in my clutch, I saw that the clutch basket and clutch boss had some pretty severe groves worn into them.
But I was rebuilding the clutch the night before the race, so I had no time to do anything other than slap in some new clutch plates.

When I pulled the old clutch, I was missing a few pieces of one of the clutch plates.
Last week I drained the tranny oil and there was still a lot of sludge, and some fine aluminum parts that came out in the oil.

So I took the clutch apart to check and see how bad the clutch boss and clutch basket really were.
Turns out they’re pretty much f*cked.

The basket has massive play in the rivets, some deep grooves in the fingers from the clutch plates, and some noticeable wear marks on the big ring gear,
(which I assume is from it chewing up the missing clutch plate parts)
The boss has some significant grooves from the steel plates, and it has some huge/massive grooves (running at 90* to the grooves from the clutch steel plates)
Again, I assume this is due to chewing up pieces of the broken clutch plate.

In an ideal word I would buy a new oem basket ($259.00) and a new oem boss ($57.00).

But sadly I belong to a team called “No Money Racing”, so I had to go with Plan B (again).
I sanded the rough edges off all the cogs/gears on the clutch basket and the clutch boss.
All the edges are now much smoother, and the clutch plates don’t hang up, or catch on any sharp edges, and they definitely slide easier –
(when the clutch is sitting on my bench). :smt003

I’ll find out if it makes any difference when I’m at the track, revving the engine to 4500.

RuZty
-----
-----

#489 Post by RuZty » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:20 am

I've filed grooves on a clutch basket to refurbish it and it's still in the bike working well after a lot of miles. The main thing is to keep the edges parallel and take the same amount off each finger so they are all the same width, otherwise the plates won't make contact evenly on all the drive tabs. You can check this with a plate as you go. The other point is not to leave a sharp corner at the bottom of the finger (if you use a file) or it will be a stress riser and the finger could break off.

Off Road
-----
-----

#490 Post by Off Road » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:28 am

CMDRA Race 6 – Saturday, Sept. 8/18

We had about 80 bikes show up for this event and there was no time to do any test and tune runs, so we went right into the qualifying.
I did a total of 6 Qualifying runs; 3 for Hot Twin and 3 for Street.

Q1 Street – 12.925 sec. @ 108.33 mph - (New personnel best ¼ mile time and mph)
Q1 Hot Twin – 13.211 sec. @ 107.05 mph

Q2 Street - 13.057 sec. @ 109.20 mph
Q2 Hot Twin – 12.870 sec. @ 109.95 mph - (New personnel best ¼ mile time and mph)

Q3 Street – 12.613 sec. @ 110.26 mph - (New personnel best ¼ mile time and mph)
Q3 Hot Twin – 13.167 sec. @ 108.13 mph

My reaction times still sucked, but my launch procedure was getting a bit better, and the bike was a freaking rocket.
So overall, I was pretty happy.

Then came the hard part of the day. Picking a Dial In time.
In the end, I was feeling confident, so I Dialed In at 12.60 seconds, and headed out for the Elimination rounds.

E1 Street – 13.119 sec. @ 108.58 mph
- I had a slow reaction time, and a bad launch, and was over .5 sec. off my dial in time.
But somehow I still managed to Win. Go figure.

E1 Hot Twin – 13.269 sec. @ 103.11 mph
- I was up against the guy who’s in 2nd place in the points standing, so this race was important.
I had my best reaction time of the day, and a pretty good launch, a decent 60’ time, and then I missed the shift into 3rd gear.
As a result, I was almost .7 sec. off my dial in time, but once again luck was on my side and I ended up with a Win.

I decided that I was being overly optimistic with my dial in time set at 12.60, so I changed it to 12.80 seconds for the 2nd round of eliminations.

E2 Street – 12.840 sec. @ 107.98 mph
- I had a decent reaction time and my run was 4/100’s of a second slower than my dial in.
And that’s the kind of run that’ll get you a Win in an ET class drag race, so I was moving on to the semi final.

Because there was a large number of bikes in the street class, the race organizers decided to run the 3rd round of Street Eliminations (semi final), before running the 2nd round of Hot Twin Eliminations.

E3 Street – 12.829 sec. @ 107.16 mph
- Again, I had a decent reaction time and this time my run was just 3/100’s of a second slower than my dial in.
And that’s the kind of run that’ll get you Eliminated in an ET class drag race. Crap.

E2 Hot Twin – 13.650 sec. @ 102.61 mph
- I had a bad reaction time, and then I missed getting my left foot on the peg.
So, I had to back off the throttle, until I had my foot on the peg, and could shift into second gear.
When I finally hit second, the front wheel came up as usual, but I was still a bit off balance, and the bike started to veer right, so I had to back out of the throttle a second time.
As a result, I ran my slowest time of the day, as well as my slowest mph.
And that’s another kind of run that’ll get you Eliminated in an ET class drag race.

Highlights from Saturday.

1 – A ¼ mile time of 12.61 seconds at 110 mph

2 – More consistency between my runs.

3 – Running within a few hundred’s of a second off my dial in time, (for a couple of races at least).

4 – A cheque for $40.00 for making it to the semi-final in Street.

Off Road
-----
-----

#491 Post by Off Road » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:28 am

CMDRA Race 7 – Sunday Sept. 9/18

On Sunday they only had 2 rounds of Qualifying for each class.
I made 4 Qualifying runs; 2 for Hot Twin and 2 for Street.

Q1 Street – 13.106 sec. @ 103.50 mph
Q1 Hot Twin – 12.895 sec. @ 103.37 mph

Q2 Street – 12.943 sec. @ 103.01 mph
Q2 Hot Twin – 13.404 sec. @ 103.16 mph

My times were a bit slower this day, so I picked a dial in time of 12.85 seconds for round 1 of the eliminations,

E1 Street – 13.377 sec. @ 102.52 mph, and I lost.
E1 Hot Twin – 13.143 sec. @ 101.83 mph, and I lost again.

So, here’s a funny story. Well, some of you may find it funny. I’m not too thrilled with the way it ended.
In Qualifying, it’s a heads up race. The light turns green and we both go.

In round 2 of Qualifying in the Street class, I was paired up against the #1 bike, a 2016 Victory Vegas.
This is the guy that’s just ahead of me in the points standings.
When the light turned green, I had a quicker reaction time, and then beat him to the finish line.
In round 2 Qualifying for Hot Twin, I was paired up with him again, and I beat him again.

Due to our qualifying positions, I ended up facing the same guy in round 1 of the Eliminations in both the Street and Hot Twin classes.
He dialed in a time of 12.60 sec. and I dialed in at 12.85, so now I have a 0.25 sec. head start.
And he kicked my ass in both the Elimination races.

Highlights from Sunday.

None. The bike ran great. The rider (me) put in a mediocre performance.

Observations from the weekend.

Saturday we had a really strong tailwind and I ran an average speed of 107.49 mph
On Sunday there was only a very light breeze and my average speed was 102.90 mph.

The interesting part is that on Saturday, I was hitting redline in 6th gear, (9400 rpm on the shift light), just as I crossed the finish line.
The gearing was perfect.
On Sunday, the bike was only pulling about 8500 or 9000 rpm in 6th gear as I was crossing the finish line.

Highlights from the weekend.

1 – My wife came with me to the races for the first time, and she enjoyed the weekend.
Up until now she has been against the whole race thing, because the last time I was on a track, I missed a corner and left the track at high speed.
Now she says that she wants to come to the season final races in two weeks.

2 – Rzrej came down for the weekend to watch the races.
Thanks mate. Your encouragement and moral support was greatly appreciated.

3 - A ¼ mile time of 12.61 sec. at 110 mph.

JonW

#492 Post by JonW » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:56 am

Great report Steve, lovin highlight point No. 1, thats gold!
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

kpke
-----
-----

#493 Post by kpke » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:01 am

This is really cool Steve. I am really enjoying your reports and reading about your progress. :smt038

It sure sounds like a lot of fun. :smt045

hondaror

#494 Post by hondaror » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Way to go Steve. For mediocre. Sounds pretty good to me. Many personal bests. That's racing, regarding the exits. Great to hear Heather went, and even better to hear she enjoyed it!!! Fricken PRICELESS!
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

Off Road
-----
-----

#495 Post by Off Road » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:49 pm

After the first 5, out of 9, CMDRA races:

I was in 3rd place in the Hot Twin class, (30 points behind 2nd place, and 153 points behind 1st place).
And I was in 4th place in the Street class, (9 points behind 3rd place, 75 points behind 2nd place, and 217 points behind 1st place).

After the first 7, out of 9, CMDRA races:

I am still in 3rd place in the Hot Twin class, (31 points behind 2nd place, and 260 points behind 1st place).
And I am still in 4th place in the Street class, (16 points behind 3rd place, 124 points behind 2nd place, and 328 points behind 1st place).

In my 2 race classes, you get points for qualifying position, each round of eliminations, and for winning the final.
The points difference between going out in the first round of eliminations, and winning the final, is 60 points.

So in the Hot Twin class, 1st place has already been determined. 2nd place is still up for grabs.
I’m currently sitting in 3rd place, and the 4th place person is too far back to catch me.
In order for me to move into 2nd place, I have to go 2 Elimination rounds farther than the guy who is currently in 2nd place.
(2 rounds farther in race 8, or 2 rounds farther in race 9, or 1 round farther in each race)

In the Street class, 1st place and 2nd place have already been determined.
3rd and 4th place have not been finalized.
I’m currently sitting in 4th place. In order for me to move into 3rd place, I only have to go 1 Elimination round farther than the guy in 3rd place.

However, the guy who is 5th in the points is only 30 points behind me.
So, if he goes 2 rounds farther than me, then he moves past me in points.
And if he goes 3 rounds farther than the guy currently in 3rd, then he could take that position as well.

The last 2 races are going to be a lot of fun. :smt003