RGV Hybrid

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

motoholic71

Re: RGV Hybrid

#46 Post by motoholic71 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:45 pm

He has a banshee stator (and g.box?)-Anyway
If you want a limited power 12VDC supply,just isolate both ends of the stator from the ground and feed them to 2 AC inputs on a standard triphase regulator,then get a yamaha harness from a bike with similar switch gear.
For the ignition If you plan to use the banshee magneto CDI then look at a banshee diagram and wire it up
If you can do with AC and no batt since you don't have power valves then copy a banshee diagram,if you want blinkers you need old style thermo-magnet flasher relay to run on AC.I think RZs had them.
It all depends on what you need /want
If it was me I'd get an aftermarket triphase stator with no HT coils,to run under the banshee flywheel and a programmable CDI.That's for the street.
For a track bike I'd get a light weight fly wheel from Zeeltronic
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper

RGV543

RGV Hybrid

#47 Post by RGV543 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:06 am

I am still working on the wiring as it is my least favorite part about a motorcycle and it is also a weak point in my skill set. Any correlation there??? :smt012

So, I have gotten a little advice on the wiring.

Well, I have decided to start with a GSXR harness so that I have the connectors for my gauges and all the other necessary wiring. So far, I have been isolating and removing circuits like the starter solenoid, injectors, sensors, and other useless crap.

While I have made progress, I still have a way to go. When I am done, the harness will be slim and trim. The problems I am anticipating are getting the ignition pickup right so the tach will be accurate and getting the speedo right as well. :smt017 If anyone can help with those two areas, please let me know.

Update: The AC stator was swapped for a DC unit. I scrapped all the wiring and used a different setup entirely. I have standard banshee style wiring harness for ignition, I am using a stealth dash, and I am using a dirtbike to dualsport wiring kit for the lights. There are different systems in play here but it really is much simpler. Hey, I hate wiring ok!!! Seriously though, this is so easy and makes sense to me so I am going with it. Those of you who are not electrical engineers may want to consider this route.
Last edited by RGV543 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#48 Post by aaronmvrider » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm

good luck.... i am useless at electronics
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

JonW

#49 Post by JonW » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:24 pm

I would think that you will need a speedohealer if you are using a later sensor type of pickup. If you run a programmable CDI there will be a tach output wire, else the later style (85-on) RZ CDI has that output as well.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

motoholic71

#50 Post by motoholic71 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:36 pm

That's right I probably can say something useful but have no clue on what ignition and instruments are being used...
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper

RGV543

#51 Post by RGV543 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:52 am

When I look at the postings of others, I sometimes pick up things here and there. I hope that others find things here and there in what I post too. In this posting, I plainly put it out there because I hope to pass along something of value to another. When one helps another, the giving does not usually detract from the giver but rather adds a little something--at least I hope so. A lesson for another.

I made the mistake of asking something so I did open Pandora's box, but did not find the carrot of Bugs--rather the stick of Teddy. A lesson for me.

So anyway, some people :smt017 have the ability to be kind and helpful to others :smt008 , but they have allowed character flaws to hinder their humanity. Holier than thou ego :smt018 plus unrelenting attitude :smt014 plus clueless :smt009 equals what??? :smt024 Troll?

Not humility!

Have a Nietzsche day!

Franz-S

#52 Post by Franz-S » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi RGV543,

I just took the time to read this topic. That´s a real great project you have. :smt038 :smt041 :smt023 I´m wondering what the actual status of this project is? Last time you were reporting about your work you were dealing with wiring (also a nightmere for me :smt005 ) and this was three years ago :smt002 . Is the engine running or are you already riding the bike? Please give us an update, ideally including some pictures. I´m sure, I´m not the only one waiting :smt001

Best regards, Franz