What have I done???

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Disco

What have I done???

#1 Post by Disco » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:46 pm

New member, though I've been an interested reader on this and other similar forums for quite some time. I've always wanted an RZ, but due to moving back/forth a couple times between MN/WI due to job and family, I finally seem to have some time etc where buying one is perhaps feasible. Buying two is not feasible nor intelligent. Sigh.
My dad had an '84 that he had to sell just before I was old enough to drive (probably a good thing). His birthday is coming up in a few weeks.... I found two bikes that being sold together was a better deal per bike than buying one singularly. :smt009 So my brain said "One for me, one for Dad!". I'm so dumb sometimes :smt021
So after driving both, giving myself over 48 hrs to think about it (ie. convince my wife this was a great purchase) we made the deal and after a two week wait I was able to pick them up...

I incorrectly stated on a previous post that these were both '85's, that is how they were advertised but after looking closely at the vin #'s, the Kenny Roberts is an '84 and the Spec II is an '85... Current PO's had each bike for about 10 years and 6-10K miles. They were stored well, always used Aviation fuel (the PO's were also pilots and own 3 planes).

So Dad's bday is about 6 weeks away. I think that the KR would be the better bike for him (and same year as his old one) it needs some cleaning and polishing (Smoker or OffRoad need to be here) but here's what I know about each...

Kenny - Aprox 25K miles. Tires and brakes are fair. Tires are old Metzler M33 front and ME1 comp K rear, both in good shape age considered. Chain and sprockets 2500 miles, All brake nuts and parts are drilled and wired, indicating that this one was raced by a previous owner, but not the ones I purchased from (numbers matching engine/frame though) as does the missing sidestand and ground off sidestand mount. Braided front brake lines. New DG pipes and rejetted with mild porting. Cracked tail light lens and tail light lens/plate holder (should be fixable). Starts well, idles very well and pulls really clean through all rpms. Easiest of the two to ride. Paint is a couple shades brighter yellow than stock. Paint is 2 years old and nicely done, 4 coats of clear keep it looking nice and wet. We noted yesterday how the sweat bees were very attracted to the tank on this bike vs. the other one. Pics might not show the color very well. Frame and swingarm need some TLC and paint or powdercoat. Anyone have a particular paint for the swingarm (silver), though I could go black I guess. Right hand controls are in pretty bad shape. resevior, kill switch, throttle, and grips are pretty crappy on both bikes. Ideas and opinions here would be great.

Spec II - Aprox 16K miles. Full Spec II fairing (any better ideas (pics) out there for the instrument pod mounting? Wow, what Spec II has was seriously only for function, zero for looks. I'm not a total fan of the fairing but it does look interesting, so as I think I'll keep this bike for quite a while, I think I'll stick with the fairing at least for the near future. Paint is ok-ish. Great looking bike from 5 feet away. Toomey exhaust and Spec II jetting kit. Starts one kick every time. Idles perfect (pipes really crackle! :smt007 ) runs nice from idle to 4K. Burbles at 4-6K rpms then really comes on hard. Seems like the faster of the two. A bit better feeling clutch and brakes as well. Chain and sprockets new 1000 miles ago.Brand new BT-45s. Corbin seat and a brand new seat with it.

I hope I did the photos correct from photobucket (?) I attempted to cut/paste into the img as I've searched the site and how-to...however I couldn't get it to work that way, so tried the url method. Please feel free to correct me. Also, maybe this should be on readers rides and not restorations. Feel free to move it if it should be. Well, that's it. I'm in RZ land now. Feels good, feels right, but yet a bit like the start of a rollercoaster ride that you aren't really sure you want to be on. :smt023
Last edited by Disco on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Disco

Re: What have I done???

#2 Post by Disco » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Sorry guys, the photobucket link to the pictures wasn't working right. I'll keep at it. First experience with photobucket, most other forums I'm on we can copy paste or download directly from our computer...

waltmil

#3 Post by waltmil » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:12 pm

I think the site needs more bandwidth to post photos directly. How much would that cost and where do we contribute to make this happen. Photobucket is a junk mail pita and I won't use it.
Red/White US '84, Spec II pipes, Y-boot w/K&N, Fox Shock, Mikuni carbs?

JonW

#4 Post by JonW » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:09 pm

Photbucket works well once you work out which bits to copy and paste, but its the IMG tags as you say, try again...

Forums that host their own photos are almost always slow to load as people put up huge (8mb+) photos in there, I loathe using forums with hosted pics and the XT500 is one such forum sadly, its a great forum otherwise, and i have a fast net connection. This forum with Pb etc is quick to load and really Pb is no hassle once you get on it. Ive never had am email from them so not sure why walt does.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

Disco

#5 Post by Disco » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:22 pm

So JonW, if you would, what is the trick to using photobucket to quickly transfer pics here? I've got my rz folder with pics in it. It won't let me "copy" or "cut" the photos to paste in the img] [img , which is what I found on here as as the best way to do it. All I could do was copy the url link for the photos I wanted... ??

tacky1

#6 Post by tacky1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:47 pm

This is the best way. Look at this link, Then copy the link on the right side of the photo under "Links to share this photo" that has IMG before it, Paste that link in with your post.

IMG code: Use this to embed your photo or video on bulletin boards and forums that do not allow you to input HTML coding. Your media will display at full size on the page you create.

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us ... ing-Images" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1985 RZv500
1984 RZ500 Hybrid
1986 RG500 Walter Wolf
1986 RG500 Skoal Bandit
1984 RZ350
1984 RZ350 Hybrid
1981 RD350LC
1981 RD350LC Hybrid
2009 CR500AF Supermoto 250X
2007 CR500AF 250X
1988 YSR50 (2)
1984 GPZ750 Turbo
1989 VFR750R RC30

JonW

#7 Post by JonW » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:08 am

just click the IMG link in the IMG box and copy it (ctrl C is fastest) and then drop it in your post (ctrl v). works for me, ive posted a lot of pics...

In library view you have lost of these in a grid, see the IMG tag box... use that.

80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

critchlg

#8 Post by critchlg » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:35 am

Or use Tapatalk. The allow you to post direct from the app and I suspect they host the pics on their server.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Questo vecchio rz

#9 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:03 am

1st things 1st Congratulations on your purchase.
Sounds like you have two nice toys to play with. Both have aftermarket chambers, The DGs on the ported RZ are a decent pipe @ a decent price, but as you noticed the Toomey equipped bike is faster, there just fast pipes that suit the RZ youd be hard pressed at find anything that accelerates better, and your right the sound they deliver is unmistakable.
If your going to use AV Fuel, I'd advise you not to, youll find 100 people will say its great, or its possible..That doesnt mean its right. I know ethanol fuels are horrid on the system, if your thinking of AVfuel your better off just to consider buying "race fuel" its better suited to the bike, and probably comparable in price, or if you find yourself riding more iften and farther see if you can locate (non ethanol) fuel locally. If you ride infrequentlly.."you will" have issues with ethanol based fuel, mainly gumming things up, & quick too, just sitting a week or two will do it. You probably dont need performance fuel for average riding. If you want explanations on fuel, let me know I'll post you some links.
As far as paint t/u goes, that entirely depends on how far you want to go with a resto, powder coating will set you back at least $300-700.00 as you will absorb the cost of complete disassembly and replacement parts etc..and it will look so good everything else will look subpar. You can get acceptable results for touch up with spray can epoxy & careful masking, or a professional touch up gun w catalyzed paint.
Your tail light & misc can be found below in the RDLC CRAZY link, this guy has probably the best assortment of RD/RZ parts out there. http://www.microdaddy.co.uk/norbo/html/ ... PVS%20.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is also a link for HVC cycles.
http://www.hvccycle.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
In addition look for Economy cycle With whom offers forum discounts.
Photobucket, ONLY works for me by utilizing the "direct" link. 1st copy your image link under (direct) then open your post window here and select Image Photoucket has just recently bombarded their site with pop ups so frequently its hard to choose just one pic without several appearing, kind of frustrating on a handheld device!
As far as your SPEC 2/ TELEFIX fairing & gauge mounts, it is what it is, youll have to get creative if you want to change things. The fairing suits the period of the machine well, is hands down the best quality/ sturdy fiberglass ever offered fir the RZ. Here is a pic of mine when I was 18 with some Toomeys, I still think it looked pretty sharp. Good luck & good fun.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Disco

#10 Post by Disco » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:23 am

GRRR. Sorry guys, I've tried both suggested methods of posting pics and neither is working. My photobucket doesn't show an img box in the library as JonW showed, nor can I find a "direct" as Questo mentioned, and I went through the exact process linked by tacky1 and keep getting the url pasted... I'll keep working on it, but there should be a better way.
Here (I hope) is a screenshot of what I see on my photobucket... Nope, couldn't even get that to work. Took a screen shot, opened it in paint (per my computer instructions) re-sized, copied, and...nothing. can't paste it. So I'm stuck for now.

Questo, to clarify, I won't be running AV gas, it is what was run in it by the PO's as they were pilots and had ready access to it. I do have access to non-ethanol fuel and am using that. Thanks for the suggestion of Economy Cycle, I've already been to their site due to seeing it suggested on other threads. And true about the Spec2 fairing, looks pretty good for what it is and I've read about the toughness of the fiberglass. Perhaps adding to the top end of this bike is the K&N 1-2 set up in combination with the Toomey's. I forgot to mention that in my first post.

JonW

#11 Post by JonW » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:38 am

Im amazed the IMG link didnt work, are you sure you got it all? should have a close square bracket at the end after the /IMG
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Disco

#12 Post by Disco » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:44 am

I dont' have an IMG button on my screen (photobucket screen) as you do on your screenshot (or the "direct" button). In the (?) on my screen it even says to use the IMG to post photos to forums. Super, but I don't have an IMG. Tried using a couple of the others (email&IM) (HTML) to copy paste but they don't work.
Oh well, you guys know what and 84 and 85 RZ look like... :D

Questo vecchio rz

#13 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:13 pm

The Dammned Photbucket process, took me many hours ,to figure out too. It still is not easy, My Photobucket screen format sometimes changes, Its either their site or my changing devices or just plain lacking computer skills.
Try this and see if it looks similar or is of any help:
1.) From my phone, I open my photo bucket account.
2.) I select my photo of choice.
3.) Look for a "SHARE" icon, some times I have to tap or click for that option to appear.
4.) After that a "FIND LINKS" icon appears, then click on that.
5.) Then several "link" boxes will appear (direct), (Img), (HTML) , etc.. Then highlight & copy and paste the "entire" code within the box.

I have NO idea why but I cannot just click on the link choice, I have to copy the "entire code" within the box, and I can only utilize the (direct) link, even on my laptop thats the only one that works for me. When I select (Img) it will transfer my link but.. with no photo. So youll have to try them all to see what ones work for you.

6.) Once you have it copied, you can then insert/paste it between the [Img] icons in your post.

Keep in mind you have to place/paste it in between the [Img][Img] icons that appear in your post diolouge box after selecting the [Img] choice from the forum toolbar.

Good luck, curse words help.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Disco

#14 Post by Disco » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Image<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rick_Ya ... "></iframe>[/img]

Can anybody actually see the pictures here on the thread without clicking on something additional? I can't on my computer. It just shows a small green square with IMG in it (I see that on many other threads as well for some reason).
I systematically went through each option available in my library on photobucket. Each time I clicked one it said "copied" (meaning my selected picture). I then came to this site and clicked the Img button and pasted between the two img icons.
If you can see a photo of two bikes in the back of a pickup, we are on the right track. I would need to know where it is in the order of all the other links or whatnot from top to bottom. There were 6 options for me to try, so try to let me know by number with 1 at the top position and 6 at the bottom.

Disco

#15 Post by Disco » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:27 pm

I think I'm done with photobucket. Who's got another option out there?