RZ350 Ypvs Hybrid South Africa

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

GDA1

RZ350 Ypvs Hybrid South Africa

#16 Post by GDA1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:18 am

Thanks for taking the time out speaking to me Steve. I have decided to go with the below option only because I'm so far into it already, what is vital at this stage is to get the correct measurements of the distance between the frame at the swing arm mounts. I measure 208mm which allows me 1mm each side for the dust cover and washer, this obviously can be altered as I explain below.

Getting the length right by cutting back on the Vj22 inner tube , I also had to take 0.90mm off the outer diameter of the Vj22 inner tube, an option is to epoxy the new made collars into the inner tube (just to keep things in place) , this will allow the inner tube to slide through the swing arm needle bearings from one side, sort of like a one piece shaft , so installation will take place from one end only.

You will see in these images I just started turning the inner tube down in order to make some clearance for the tube and collars to slide through the swing arm bearings from one side.

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: RZ350 Ypvs Hybrid South Africa

#17 Post by RuZty » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:48 am

I just used some off the shelf bushings that were RZ spindle diameter on the inside and RGV spindle diameter on the outside. They were a bit longer than the bearing races so they located the middle spacer. I pressed them in and used a drop of Loctite 609 on them and the RGV parts all go in as one assembly. You can leave the thrust washers out and the arm should fit in the frame, for my hybrid I took material off the frame each side to allow them to be used. I made a jig to check squareness to the swingarm spindle.

RuZty
-----
-----

#18 Post by RuZty » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:48 am

Another point, years ago I contacted the guy that the did the design on the adapters you have made and he said the adjustable plates give 20-25mm ride height range at the wheel, but he recommended the fixed ones as the adjustability was not worth the effort. Since you have the parts already it may not matter, but I was never crazy about the suspension linkage being held on a slotted hole purely by clamping force. I'm also using a Penske shock which is adjustable for ride height anyway. I found on my frame that his dimensions for spacers were not bang on, mine needed to go 2mm to the left. That's probably within the production tolerances on the frame but I preferred to measure for myself.

GDA1

#19 Post by GDA1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:58 pm

RuZty wrote:Another point, years ago I contacted the guy that the did the design on the adapters you have made and he said the adjustable plates give 20-25mm ride height range at the wheel, but he recommended the fixed ones as the adjustability was not worth the effort. Since you have the parts already it may not matter, but I was never crazy about the suspension linkage being held on a slotted hole purely by clamping force. I'm also using a Penske shock which is adjustable for ride height anyway. I found on my frame that his dimensions for spacers were not bang on, mine needed to go 2mm to the left. That's probably within the production tolerances on the frame but I preferred to measure for myself.
Thanks Ruzty, I am fortunate enough to own a very entry level lathe and mill combo which is more than capable to turn bushes and light stuff , I will be fitting the swing arm this weekend and if need be I will sort out accordingly , at this stage everything looks on point, I have made minor adjustments here and there but not major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GDA1

#20 Post by GDA1 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:29 pm

I redone the collars out of 316 stainless steel. I cut back on the centre tube until the desired length was achieved with the two dust covers in place and no thrust washers. The collars will now be sent in for low temp titanium nitrate .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk