My Hero

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

motoholic71

Re: My Hero

#16 Post by motoholic71 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:58 pm

It seems that at least on the yellow bike the chain will saw the swingarm pivot shaft once rolling, or is this a static looker bike?
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper

yazza54

#17 Post by yazza54 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:36 am

RuZty wrote:His standard of work looks very high, the red one to me looks a bit long, but that could just be the angle of the picture. I'd have to see it with the tank and tail off but I know what you mean with the rear shock, he was obviously after an appearance of openness in that area and achieved it well. Not too many straight lines for suspension loads but there might be a clever solution that is partly hidden. Talented and creative guy for sure.

It's mounted to the underside of the subframe. The top subframe mounts would pivot so there's a lot of faith being put in those lower brackets....!

yazza54

#18 Post by yazza54 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:39 am

Wouldn't take much to be dragging the side stand while cornering either

I'm not one to bash others work and I do actually like the bike but there's a few bits on this bike where he's gone for aesthetics over anything else, everyone just seems blinded by the shiny paint.

RuZty
-----
-----

#19 Post by RuZty » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:26 am

Accordion comes to mind...

Smoker

#20 Post by Smoker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:07 pm

yazza54 wrote:$4000???

It's an RSV swing arm. You can get one for £100, there's even a new old stock one on eBay for £300.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331849549667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I the only one concerned about his top shock mounting?

But yes, it does look good, and different which is always a nice change. I get bored of seeing the same old hybrids being churned out.
Just to show you I'm not crazy. :smt003

Part number AP8145020 is $3990.41 euro = $4344.48 usd

Here's the link: https://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp? ... AP_RSV1_BC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After reading your post, I checked at AF1 and found a price of less than $900 usd. :smt023

Smoker

#21 Post by Smoker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:27 pm

motoholic71 wrote:It seems that at least on the yellow bike the chain will saw the swingarm pivot shaft once rolling, or is this a static looker bike?
Proof?

Not sure what you're looking at. Rear axle height with the 17 inch wheel? Diameter of the swingarm pivot? :smt017

Dude said he took test rides.

motoholic71

#22 Post by motoholic71 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Smoker wrote:
motoholic71 wrote:It seems that at least on the yellow bike the chain will saw the swingarm pivot shaft once rolling, or is this a static looker bike?
Proof?

Not sure what you're looking at. Rear axle height with the 17 inch wheel? Diameter of the swingarm pivot? :smt017

Dude said he took test rides.
What I mean is that it seems to me that top length of chain is "rubbing" hard against what is supposedly the chain slider above the swingarm pivot shaft.
This slider is usually rubber or plastic, nylon etc. not designed to carry loads, just to basically support the chain weight under decceleration, and protect parts underneath it.

Idealy you should have a straight line from the sprocket at the wheel to the sprocket at the engine, and I see a kink in it.

It's a known fact that one of the problems of the RZ engine is the additional volume behind the sprocket due to it's DNA heritage, pushing away the swingarm pivot and limiting suspension travel, and height.

Unless there's a fact I'm not aware of, regarding this swingarm. If I'm right, that's a big technical no-no, very short-lived.
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper