My Hero

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker

My Hero

#1 Post by Smoker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:56 am

No doubt.

Just my opinion, but I think Alex Arletti is the best amateur bike builder on the planet. I've referenced him in all my custom builds, and he's the inspiration for starting my motard project. He's probably responsible for my enthusiasm and dedication to learning how to build bikes.

Spoke to him less than 2 weeks ago. He said if I can get over to Italy, he'll buy me a beer. That's a dream I have to fulfill, for sure.

He doesn't post much on this side of the site, so....

evan_calgary

Re: My Hero

#2 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:45 pm

Wow! That is an amazing build! Is there more info somewhere Smoker? Darn nice bike!

Smoker

#3 Post by Smoker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:58 pm

evan_calgary wrote:Wow! That is an amazing build! Is there more info somewhere Smoker? Darn nice bike!
Not sure if there's a build thread.

I stumbled across the pics, which were found on Facebook. Pretty sure Alex has a page there, but I'm not on Facebook.

I've got the parts figured out, but would love to see what he did with the rear shock mounts and suspension linkage.

gammaguy21

#4 Post by gammaguy21 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:41 pm

Build thread is here.... but you may need to be a member.
http://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/3 ... id-ticking

This is his second rz hybrid build I know of. It's up for grabs as well.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-RD350-YPV ... rmvSB=true

evan_calgary

#5 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Is that MV Agusta bodywork?

ax-racing

#6 Post by ax-racing » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Smoker, this bike is not mine and not built by me :smt002

just grab some pictures on facebook and post on my group because it's beatuiful
Alex

Smoker

#7 Post by Smoker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:47 pm

ax-racing wrote:Smoker, this bike is not mine and not built by me :smt002

just grab some pictures on facebook and post on my group because it's beatuiful
Ha, ha!! I have to learn to read Italian.

That's okay- you're still my hero! :smt006

Smoker

#8 Post by Smoker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:02 pm

gammaguy21 wrote:Build thread is here.... but you may need to be a member.
http://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/3 ... id-ticking

This is his second rz hybrid build I know of. It's up for grabs as well.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-RD350-YPV ... rmvSB=true

Thanks for finding it. Somehow, I can see the pics!

I can't wait to have some time to go through the whole build thread.

I did look at some pics, and I can see the build quality isn't close to Alex's work. But, it looks like this guy is building custom bikes to sell. If he can make a living building cool bikes like that- he's going to be one of my heros, too.

Now that you mention this is his second bike- I think I may have posted pics of his first bike. And it was awesome. He chooses fabulous parts, and builds bikes in the streetfighter style that I like.

Smoker

#9 Post by Smoker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:05 pm

evan_calgary wrote:Is that MV Agusta bodywork?
Yep. :smt007

gammaguy21

#10 Post by gammaguy21 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:09 pm

Smoker wrote: Thanks for finding it. Somehow, I can see the pics!

I can't wait to have some time to go through the whole build thread.

I did look at some pics, and I can see the build quality isn't close to Alex's work. But, it looks like this guy is building custom bikes to sell. If he can make a living building cool bikes like that- he's going to be one of my heros, too.

Now that you mention this is his second bike- I think I may have posted pics of his first bike. And it was awesome. He chooses fabulous parts, and builds bikes in the streetfighter style that I like.
Here's a pic of his first rz build

Smoker

#11 Post by Smoker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Yeah, dude is super-talented.

I'd like to read both his build threads, to learn how he does it.

The price for the new one is about $18,000 usd. He'll probably get that much. The bike looks awesome, and there are plenty of deep pockets out there.

I was trying to figure out how much I would pay. Nothing close to the asking price. If it had a TZ style frame, it would be hard to not buy it.

yazza54

#12 Post by yazza54 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:43 am

They are nice bikes, but, not being funny - he's hardly reinvented the wheel here. There are lots of hybrids built by amateurs that are up to the same standards.

I'm still not convinced mounting the shock to the rear sub frame is a good idea on the yellow bike..

Smoker

#13 Post by Smoker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:07 pm

yazza54 wrote:They are nice bikes, but, not being funny - he's hardly reinvented the wheel here. There are lots of hybrids built by amateurs that are up to the same standards.

I'm still not convinced mounting the shock to the rear sub frame is a good idea on the yellow bike..
I agree. Not a lot of detail work compared to many hybrids- but this guy builds bikes for PROFIT. Try to make a profit on those more detailed or better built bikes.

Mostly, I was repping his style, choice of parts, and the final look of the bike. Both of his bikes are in my top 10 best looking hybrids ever built. But, I prefer the streetfighter style to the retro racer look.

C'mon, he chopped a $4,000 swingarm in half and fitted it to an RZ350! :smt003

yazza54

#14 Post by yazza54 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:03 pm

Smoker wrote:
yazza54 wrote:They are nice bikes, but, not being funny - he's hardly reinvented the wheel here. There are lots of hybrids built by amateurs that are up to the same standards.

I agree. Not a lot of detail work compared to many hybrids- but this guy builds bikes for PROFIT. Try to make a profit on those more detailed or better built bikes.

Mostly, I was repping his style, choice of parts, and the final look of the bike. Both of his bikes are in my top 10 best looking hybrids ever built. But, I prefer the streetfighter style to the retro racer look.

C'mon, he chopped a $4,000 swingarm in half and fitted it to an RZ350! :smt003
$4000???

It's an RSV swing arm. You can get one for £100, there's even a new old stock one on eBay for £300.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331849549667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I the only one concerned about his top shock mounting?

But yes, it does look good, and different which is always a nice change. I get bored of seeing the same old hybrids being churned out.

RuZty
-----
-----

#15 Post by RuZty » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 pm

His standard of work looks very high, the red one to me looks a bit long, but that could just be the angle of the picture. I'd have to see it with the tank and tail off but I know what you mean with the rear shock, he was obviously after an appearance of openness in that area and achieved it well. Not too many straight lines for suspension loads but there might be a clever solution that is partly hidden. Talented and creative guy for sure.