Engine case restoring the black

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

housej55

Engine case restoring the black

#1 Post by housej55 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:55 pm

Hey guys, is there any cleaner you would recommend on cleaning the engine cases? I have this 73 Rd350 and two 85 RZ’s that I would like to bring back the black the best I can without painting them which would be a whole different journey. Doesn’t look like it bit this bike is covered in dust from storage. There really is good paint under all that :)
Oh and man did that suck when that black came off the tank badge ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brrrappp

Re: Engine case restoring the black

#2 Post by brrrappp » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:58 pm

If you're not afraid of water, I use S100 and a garden hose to get the dirt off. My RZ's have exposed air cleaners so I use WD40 as a dirt and dust cleaner on my frame, swing-arm, side cases. It also does a good job of removing stickum left over from decals or tape, bugs, and chain lube spatter. On any painted surface be careful not to rub the dirt into the paint with your rag. Honda Spray polish/cleaner is a pretty good product for quick cleaning and polishing as well.
I'm sure that everyone has their own method, the important thing is to avoid items that damage the paint.

evan_calgary

#3 Post by evan_calgary » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:03 am

There are specific engine cleaners available which will get loose the sticky grease such as chain debris but it tends to smear it elsewhere. I find a pressure washer held 2" away is the only thing that will truly clean the cases. Brake cleaner is another good option for very sticky grease. Ultimate compound would likely be a good light abrasive to bring back any oxidized lustre without damage to the paint. The case paint is quite durable relative to most of the paint on the bike

kobra

#4 Post by kobra » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:25 pm

I have used engine block cleaner, it is an emulsifier that breaks up oils. It's not a solvent that could damage rubber and plastic parts. This can be had for cheap at the auto parts store, but as with any chemical, test it on a small spot first.

Honda Polish also does some cleaning and will leave the finish looking a bit richer.

JonW

#5 Post by JonW » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:34 pm

Some kind if degreaser will work, but dont get it on the chain.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

silverstrom

#6 Post by silverstrom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:49 pm

Kerosene works very well. Get as much of it on the chain as you like. It is the recommended product for cleaning chains. It is my main heavy cleaning solvent here. It has cleaned many engines and other filthy parts in my shop. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner afterwards will remove any kerosene and leave a clean oil free finish. Don't use brake cleaner on your o-ring chain...obviously.

brrrappp

#7 Post by brrrappp » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:13 am

silverstrom wrote:Kerosene works very well. Get as much of it on the chain as you like. It is the recommended product for cleaning chains. It is my main heavy cleaning solvent here. It has cleaned many engines and other filthy parts in my shop. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner afterwards will remove any kerosene and leave a clean oil free finish. Don't use brake cleaner on your o-ring chain...obviously.

MMM, Love Kero, but hate the smell! I use kero for the really messy stuff, like that area around the front sprocket when you pull the left engine cover. Use it sparingly around your swingarm pivot or linkage. Kero is really thin and can drag dirt with it into your seals. Kero will also cause a lot of rubber parts to expand. It doesn't seem to bother o-ring chains much, but I've had other o-rings and grommets get really loose after a kero bath. I was told once that "seal-swell" is just a kerosene additive in some types of oil. When I was into MX I would race with a non-o-ring chain and put it in a kero bath on Monday. Practice all week with the o-ring chain and swap back....dirt and chain lube were no match.

For cleaning bearings that don't have seals, my choice product is Acetone (wear gloves). Acetone will dissolve a number of plastics so be careful, the stuff is so effective and dries so fast that you can get carried away using it elsewhere.

evan_calgary

#8 Post by evan_calgary » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:08 am

The petro fuels are likely a more efficient use of you time than the actual degreasers as they are less likely to smear and actually dissolve the goop.

gpaddict

#9 Post by gpaddict » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:52 pm

Try WD40!
tuned to Paris Hilton specs............rich and retarded!