1988 RZ350 restomod - gsxr1k front, rgv swingarm

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

magrahamkp08

1988 RZ350 restomod - gsxr1k front, rgv swingarm

#1 Post by magrahamkp08 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:14 am

In the middle getting the chassis into a complete roller. This may have been covered already, but I can’t seem to find it.

I’m looking for the rear wheel spacer dimensions for using the rgv swingarm and sv650 rear wheel. Anyone got these dimensions handy

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zx250r

Re: 1988 RZ350 restomod - gsxr1k front, rgv swingarm

#2 Post by Zx250r » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm

What did the swinger require to fit? Also the front end?

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: 1988 RZ350 restomod - gsxr1k front, rgv swingarm

#3 Post by RuZty » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Having done this conversion I would strongly suggest that you verify alignment on your own frame. Also note that you will give yourself fits if you line things up to the front sprocket, you can move the engine all over the place with the mounts loosened slightly. Mount the bike level and drop plumb lines from the center of the swingarm pivot and the steering head and work to that centerline. Get the rear axle parallel to the swingarm pivot and center the wheel to your centerline.
I also found that clamping a piece of 1 ½” aluminum extruded angle to each side of the rear wheel, extending forward, and dropping a plumb line from each side of the swingerarm pivot made centering the rear wheel easier as the width was the same.
Get the wheels on the same plane first, then worry about lining up the sprockets. I used a Katana 750 rear wheel and GS500 Cush drive and ended up with a standard front sprocket.
It looks like you have used the stock RZ relay arm, there is an adapter plate setup that uses the RGV shock and linkage and preserves the RGV geometry that works well and is easy to do. You will also find that the horizontal reservoir on your shock limits travel.
Looks good so far, you'll enjoy it when it's done.