kobra's 1985 RZ350NC2 basket case restoration

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

kobra

kobra's 1985 RZ350NC2 basket case restoration

#1 Post by kobra » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi guys!
I picked up a 1985 RZ350 NC2 over the weekend. It was too good of a deal to pass up, but needs a LOT of work. Basically what happened is it melted one of the pistons back in '99 and the previous owner took it apart to fix it, but ran out of time/patience and let it sit since then. It was stored indoors but still everything managed to corrode.

The plan is to disassemble it completely, paint the frame, and then restore each bit as I reassemble. Basically lots of sandblasting and painting. There are two sets of fairings - the stock plastic round headlight naked thing, as well as a fiberglass full fairing with square headlight.

It appears that I can get most of the consumables on Partzilla, but the hard parts are harder to come by. The main thing that needs to be replaced is the rear mud guard/underpanel. It is completely trashed. I believe the chain broke, flew up, and smashed it, because it also took a chunk of the engine case with it. Fortunately, it looks like it's just a covering near the front sprocket, and non structural. Any idea where to get this underpanel?

I don't plan to do a perfect 100% original restoration, but I will do a nice job and make it mechanically sound. I plan to ride it so it won't be a garage queen. It will get the cylinders bored/honed to the next size up, all the seals replaced, etc.

Quick questions:
1. Best parts sources for hard parts? (under panel, fairings, handlebars, plastic parts)
2. Suggestions for main things to look for when doing the rebuild? Does this bike have common problems? I heard that the crank seals are known to leak.
3. How much of a basket case is this?

Zedixe13
-----
-----

Re: New project '85 RZ350 NC2

#2 Post by Zedixe13 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:18 am

The rear fender should be available from your dealer , same for oil and recovery tanks and chain guard . That's about it for the plastic parts from the dealer .

JonW

#3 Post by JonW » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:41 am

rear fender is on partzilla ist it?

Looks a good project, but its a total rebuild. Hows the tank?
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

gpaddict

#4 Post by gpaddict » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 am

Are you interested in selling the stock upper fairing, and the bottom bikini fairing?
tuned to Paris Hilton specs............rich and retarded!

evan_calgary

#5 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:59 am

This is a total rebuild/restore. Motor needs to come apart and likely replace all consumables elsewhere. I suspect you will find some other broken parts along the way. Basically a 'frame-off' as some would call it.

Looks like you got some good parts with the deal.

The headlight is non-stock and the bikini fairing would have originally come with that motorcycle. The tank is the early version. The full fairing came from a Cdn bike. I suppose there is possibility this was originally a Cdn 1985 which had full fairing but that early tail and tank BUT I see normal handlebars vs. clip ons which would suggest early 83/84 and 85US bike with the full fairing.

kobra

#6 Post by kobra » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks for the input! The story was that the original owner wanted it to look more 'racebike' and bought those aftermarket fairings. I don't want to start selling parts until I really know what I have, and where I'm going with it. That being said, I don't have the original round headlight. I'm expecting I can find a generic one though for pretty cheap.

Agreed, it's a total rebuild. The poor thing has seen better days, but I can work magic with a sandblaster. I am a little bummed about the cracked engine case but I've heard this is common on older bikes. It is broken almost identically to this one on eBay. https://i.imgur.com/LGzTLZB.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rear fender is pn 29L-21629-01-00 and I can't find it on partzilla or any of the other part sites. I found one on eBay from Singapore.

The tank is rust-free on the inside, miraculously. It has a shallow dent and some corrosion on one side that can be fixed pretty easily.

evan_calgary

#7 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:26 pm

If you have some time to wait i'm sure you can find a rear fender than is a fraction of those new prices out of singapore. Parts come up quite often as bikes are parted out.

Blast and powder everything is my usual route. You are lucky on the tank given the rarity and cost these days.

If it is broken above the front sprocket that is typical from a broken chain.

Luckily these are quite easy to work out, simply systems and parts are overall not that expensive unless you need something like a tank.

You should be able to sort out a front light that will fit relatively easy.

RuZty
-----
-----

#8 Post by RuZty » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Are the fairings fiberglass? It looks like the Spec2 kit based on the headlight surround.

My advice;
-Seals and gaskets; use OEM, replace all of them.
-Powervalves; check bearing journals and bushings for wear out of round, new seals won't last on worn parts, and they are messy when leaking. Also check the center coupler and where it clamps the 2 valves for wear, this is a high neglect area.
-Pistons: Use OEM if you are within 2 oversizes. Get your cylinders done by someone who knows 2 strokes (sleds or dirt bikes)
-Don't assume new fluid will make the brakes new, check everything, including lines.
-Pay attention to cracks in the intake manifolds, new OEM ones are still available.
-check your oil pump for proper function, plenty of info on here. (or send it to forum user Arrow for piece of mind)
-prime your oil lines to the carbs with a syringe before connecting them to the pump.
-Before you run the rebuilt engine pressure/vacuum test it for air leaks, plenty of info on here.

Good luck!

JonW

#9 Post by JonW » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Thats all good advice.

I just checked and it seems the under fender is NLA now, it wasnt very long back :/

The OEM headlight parts are easy enough to find on ebay etc. just keep an eye out and stuff will come along while you rebuild the rest. With both fairings you have options, cant complain about that.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

kobra

#10 Post by kobra » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 am

I posted earlier but then my internet timed out...

Thanks for the continued feedback guys. I hope to post some progress photos here and I'm sure a lot of questions too.

I looked at the tank closer tonight. Could be worse. I'm hoping I can pop the dents out easily (very tiny one on the left side, and larger one on the right side), but I'm not sure how to best address the corrosion.

Close view of the front sprocket area. I could leave it as-is. I could mill it in a nice looking shape. I could add some threaded holes to mount a protector plate there and make it look nice. Ideas? Just trying to think ahead - I will go into more detail once I get the engine out.

Hooligan

#11 Post by Hooligan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:32 am

I hope you love this bike cause you've got a TON of work ahead of you. :O

The motor should come completely apart and get a ground up rebuild. Pistons, cylinders, seals, crank rebuild, etc etc etc.

Two other good sources for parts are:
boats.net
yambits
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

kobra

#12 Post by kobra » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:33 am

Hooligan wrote:I hope you love this bike cause you've got a TON of work ahead of you. :O

The motor should come completely apart and get a ground up rebuild. Pistons, cylinders, seals, crank rebuild, etc etc etc.

Two other good sources for parts are:
boats.net
yambits
I know... it's a little overwhelming! I'm going to break it into chunks.
-Engine
-Chassis
-Brakes
-Wheels
-Electrical
-Body panels
-Controls

And then it's just a matter of clean, clean, clean, replacing bits as I go. eek. Do I love this bike? Actually... I do really like 2-strokes, but I haven't lusted for this particular bike or anything. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. I probably won't even fit the darn thing when it's all said and done since I'm 6 foot and it's a tiny bike.

RuZty
-----
-----

#13 Post by RuZty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am

I'm 6'1" and fit fine. You could clean up the edges where the case broke and weld in a piece of aluminum angle to fill that and it would be unnoticeable once painted.

Hooligan

#14 Post by Hooligan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm 6'2" and have no issues riding my RZ and LC.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

kobra

#15 Post by kobra » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 pm

Nice! That's reassuring.