TZR 3XV 535 Project

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

peddro

TZR 3XV 535 Project

#1 Post by peddro » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:50 am

Hi,

I have been working on this project for a while now & it's finally getting close to being finished. So I thought I would post some pics to get a bit of feed back & I would be very grateful of any suggestions.

I fitted a RD350 YPVS motor into a TZR 3XV SP frame, with 535 barrels plus all the usual stuff fitted, & a few modifications along the way.

It is not quite finished but getting close now, the engine is running, & with the fairing & seat moulds now finished, I can now sort out the body work & paint work, plus a few odd jobs, but not that much now.

It has taken a bit longer to build than I had thought due to family commitments.
However, it should be on the road in mid September.

Best regards
Peddro
Last edited by peddro on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vin

Re: TZR 3XV 535 Project

#2 Post by Vin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:03 am

peddro wrote:Hi,

I have been working on this project for a while now & it's finally getting close to being finished. So I thought I would post some pics to get a bit of feed back & I would be very grateful of any suggestions.

I fitted a RD350 YPVS motor into a TZR 3XV SP frame, with 535 barrels plus all the usual stuff fitted, & a few modifications along the way.

It is not quite finished but getting close now, the engine is running, & with the fairing & seat moulds now finished, I can now sort out the body work & paint work, plus a few odd jobs, but not that much now.

It has taken a bit longer to build than I had thought due to family commitments.
However, it should be on the road in mid September.

link to photo's
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/peddrotzr/

Best Regards
Peddro
Very nice work pedro :smt004

How do you plan to get the rad in the top fairing cool air?

Also what ignition coils are you using? I see you have one per cylinder!

peddro

Re: TZR 3XV 535 Project

#3 Post by peddro » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:23 am

Hi Vin,

Thanks for your comments.

The fairing will have an air vent at the front to allow air straight into the radiator. I have had to leave the present fairing solid in this area so I could take a mould of it, the final fairings will be made of carbon, "eventually".
I will make these during the autumn / winter when I have a bit more time, but just to get it on the road I will use the standard fairings with the air vent.

Also the two coils are from a TZ250 B.

Best regards.

Peddro.

RuZty
-----
-----

#4 Post by RuZty » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Nice work. That's some professional looking vacuum bagging on the swingarm, do you do this professionally or just a very committed hobbyist?

slinger
-----
-----

#5 Post by slinger » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:01 pm

I've done one of these and with your rad there it won't work your just going to hit it under braking.

http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv31 ... g&newest=1

peddro

#6 Post by peddro » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi RuZty.

No, I am a Printer & an ex-car mechanic by trade, so I am just a very "committed hobbyis", hence the moulds for the fairings & seat unit ect.
I wish I could do this instead of having to work as it's much more fun, but all the time it takes me I wouldnt make any money, so I must keep on printing.

The carbon is quite easy to work with, prepairation is the key, however I hate the fiberglass (for the moulds), as it's very messy, & the gel time is very quick. You could make the moulds with epoxy resin & carbon fiber, as this would be much easier, as the gel time is a lot longer, however it would cost far too much for a garage project like this & for just a one off set of fairing & seat moulds.

All of this project apart from the "Engine kit & exhausts" is secondhand & all the parts have been collected over the last year from either good old ebay or local bike breakers, & all the rest of it has been made by hand which is very time consuming, as I am sure you will understand after seeing just the swingarm.
From making the plug, to then making the mould, then to making the insert, then fitting it ect ect ect .
The 2 peice mould for the seat took 1.5 weeks, after a slight problem, but it was worth it as the finnish is like glass.
The seat support took 2 weeks, from clay plug to mould ect to finally fitting the "MV Augusta" seat hinge (£12.00p) & seat lock , but it works a treat now.

I am now working on the seat undertray ect. Which should be finnished next week. As I need to have somewhere to keep the 2 stroke oil for my pre- mix & also something to mount the licence plate & rear lights.

Best regards

Peddro.

peddro

#7 Post by peddro » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi Glyn,

I have watched your build with great interest & it is very good,
How dose it ride after your test at Mallory Park?

My radiator is a Ducati 916 rad, which has a cut out to allow for wheel clearance, hence the second radiator in the fairing.
Also the exhaust pipes had to be splayed for the same reason, wheel clearance.

http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 4e0436.jpg

Best regards

Peddro
Last edited by peddro on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

RuZty
-----
-----

#8 Post by RuZty » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:12 am

Pedro,
I did a stint in Britain as a laminator a long while back so I know what is involved (worked in the printing industry too). I would love to get back to it but time and money always conspire against it. I know it isn't rocket science (well I guess it started out that way) but it's nice to see someone take the time to learn to do a proper job of something.

slinger
-----
-----

#9 Post by slinger » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:53 pm

peddro wrote:Hi Glyn,

I have watched your build with great interest & it is very good,
How dose it ride after your test at Mallory Park?

My radiator is a Ducati 916 rad, which has a cut out to allow for wheel clearance, hence the second radiator in the fairing.
Also the exhaust pipes had to be splayed for the same reason, wheel clearance.

http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv31 ... 4e0436.jpg

Best regards

Peddro
Arrrr I see :smt002

Your love it no head shake and corners great. Was at Cadwell the other day and she was flying proper good fun.

lt1bird

#10 Post by lt1bird » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:02 pm

Your project is looking great.....We all know how much effort it takes to do this stuff....A love for tinkering ;)

tobster

#11 Post by tobster » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:42 am

peddro
I can see the cut out in the radiator for wheel clearance under braking BUT what happens when you're braking and turning, say into a tight hairpin? Surely the wheel will foul with either/both the exhaust and rad?

highside

#12 Post by highside » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:16 am

Very Cool! Seeing your bike gives me inspiration for my bike.

What do you expect for the RWHP and torque figures? Which carburetors are you using? What will the maintenance be like? How high will you rev it?

peddro

#13 Post by peddro » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:28 am

Hi Tobster,

When the exhausts where made the fork caps were removed to give full travel on the forks to clear the wheel/exhausts, but this is in a straight line, however I wouldn’t like to try turning any bike’s bars to that extent under very heavy braking at a hairpin ect, as you would most likely end up on the floor anyway, however I understand what you are saying, I think that I have sufficient clearance for what I need, but time will tell.

Hi Highside,

As it is going to be a road bike the main thing is that it is rideable, so I am not that bothered about the final bhp figure.
The engine spec is very similar to Stan Stephens 535 Aprilia race bike, which on it’s first dyno run produced 106RWBHP @ 10,500rpm & 52lb torque @ 9,700 rpm.
However this was still very rich & they ran out of jets to get the carburetion correct, I don’t have any figures of what it eventually reached, but his bike was a race bike, anything over 90bhp & it will be a bit of a handful.

The carburetors are Mikuni TM 38mm.

As to rpm, probably 9,500rpm as it’s mainly going to be used at the Isle of Man as a toy just to annoy a few diesel’s, & other than on a track it’s the only place you can open it up now, & I don’t want it to be a track day bike, as I might like it too much.

As for maintenance? I am not to sure as yet, has anyone on this site got any ideas as to mileage / maintenance?

lt1bird

#14 Post by lt1bird » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:25 am

That engine will not be to much for the frame with the power valves....My 535 bike pulls like a train... no massive wheelies unless your in 1,2 gear...3rd gear just produces a real hard pull. Raced my buddy with his 748 ducati...Pulled away from him pretty good....Thats a 11.3 second bike.
So you will have a high 10 second quarter mile bike....Thats impresive for a ity bity 350 engine on roids :)

Hope your using streight cut gears in 2.68 size.....otherwise the top end speed will suffer. I used the banshee tranny and 2.36 gears... close ratio tans is awsome!

slinger
-----
-----

#15 Post by slinger » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:32 pm

This up and running yet?