Upgrades for Ol Faithful

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

85RZwade

Upgrades for Ol Faithful

#1 Post by 85RZwade » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:07 am

Recently acquired a '92 CBR600F2 parts bike and I intended to graft the forks, brakes and wheels onto my '85 RZ. My Frank's fork tubes are wearing thin and I'm ready for a change; I've always liked the five-spoke Honda wheels. Then, just yesterday I found out I am the lucky recipient of an FZR400R JDM swingarm, caliper & master cylinder! The FZ swinger has served me well for 20+ years, but again, time for a change. FZR swinger & rear brake, Honda wheels, forks and front brakes :smt007 watch this space...
85 RZ350 daily rider Toomeys, FZ swinger & wheel, Fox shock, Raasks
85 RZ350 JLs, FZ swinger, Katana rear & CBR929 front wheel, CBR600F4 forks & brakes
75 RD350 Ritter-tuned top end, PWK28s, JLs, HPI, TDR wheels, GSX-R forks, Motolana swinger

Questo vecchio rz

Re: Upgrades for Ol Faithful

#2 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:36 am

Congratulations. I have the FZR400R swingarm as well. The Deltabox version.
I've only viewed 1 other RZ with this setup. Guy who used to work at kon-tiki cycle had it if I recall he had set it up with GSXR 600 linkage, and rode the heck out of it.
I purchased my set up from a former member here many years ago however he had it all set up completely wrong.
I sent it out to RGV Steve and had him do some modifications for me to the brake caliper set up help me with the geometry and wheel spacers for my NSR 5 spoke rim.
Like many of us life has gotten in the way big time.... But I have 90% of the parts that I will need finish just need to organize life finances and find the time......I don't really want to admit when I bought this RZ and started this project but let's just say it had alot if 9s in the year. Several members here started their projects about the same time and they are long done and it moved on, but I'll keep the faith.
Couple flips and friends that have them and help build a friend's set up as well how to get around to getting mine done I'll likely "keep it" even if I don't ever finish it... I have every detail worked out in my head many years spent on this ..lol
The basics re revalved RC51 forks in custom triple clamps.
FZR -R Deltabox swinger.
NSR250 5 spoke Magteks.
YZR bodywork.
TZR250 fueltank.
Stainless GP pipes.
Motor will likely be a ported 4 mm stroker. Had dreams of a 7 mm but not a single builder ever stepped up to the plate..no biggie. There's a phethora of options..ALL are fun.

I also purchased a tzr250 frame and Aprilia swingarm. I do have plans for that and the people in place to build it.... But I think I'm going to save that for a future project I still want a basic RZ with an RZ frame... And after all the grief I put myself through with yzr bodywork kits I'm seriously thinking of going back the stock bodywork...
But who knows at this point too early to call.
Keep me posted as to how you set up your rear suspension I'm pretty wrapped except for ride height curious to see what you come up with mine came with alum flat plate .... Which the original builder did all wrong. I bought an old Fox twin clicker so I can have right height adjustability.... And I'll build different lengths right heights when I get to that point...

Best wishes👍
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

85RZwade

#3 Post by 85RZwade » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:56 am

Thanks, Questo! What am I in for? Does the FZR 'arm go in easily, like the FZ piece did, with a mix of RZ and FZ parts, or am I going to have to make parts?
85 RZ350 JLs, FZ swinger, Katana rear & CBR929 front wheel, CBR600F4 forks & brakes
75 RD350 Ritter-tuned top end, PWK28s, JLs, HPI, TDR wheels, GSX-R forks, Motolana swinger

Questo vecchio rz

#4 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:10 pm

85RZwade wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:56 am Thanks, Questo! What am I in for? Does the FZR 'arm go in easily, like the FZ piece did, with a mix of RZ and FZ parts, or am I going to have to make parts?
The conversion was completed when I bought it here however very poorly.
From what I remember the pivot tube is machined down, just like the 86-87 FZ.
The ride height flat alum plate. (Easy).
Axles etc are fairly straightforward.
It's an extremely beefy swing arm it will never twist under a RZ, however it is not as heavy as it appears it's about the same weight as a "braced" FZswingarm.
I do have details & build sheet I just don't know exactly where it's all at right now. I could be confusing it with an old FC setup I bought that had every bushing bearing part number directions for dog bone modifications etc.. but I'm pretty sure the FZR came with the basics I requested.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#5 Post by two-stroke-brit » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:38 pm

WOT no pics
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

85RZwade

#6 Post by 85RZwade » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:02 pm

You're right, of course:

The RZ as it sits today.

I put 'em all on there!

I put the FZ600 swingarm, brake and wheel on there 20-some years ago, and they've worked just fine all this time.

But now I am ready for a change. I bought this 1992 600F2 as a donor for it's wheels, brakes and suspension...anybody need a shifter kart engine?

Along came this JDM FZR400R swingarm; plenty of room for the 150 tire on the CBR rim. It also came with the rear caliper and master cylinder, so what do you suppose the chances are that the Honda disc will fit nicely in the Yamaha caliper? :smt005 Shock and linkage fitment? :smt042 Chain alignment? :smt043
I bought bearings for the front end swap, and it should be the more straight-forward operation. :smt044

Off Road
-----
-----

#7 Post by Off Road » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:41 am

85RZwade wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:02 pm ... so what do you suppose the chances are that the Honda disc will fit nicely in the Yamaha caliper? :smt005 Shock and linkage fitment? :smt042 Chain alignment? :smt043
I bought bearings for the front end swap, and it should be the more straight-forward operation. :smt044
I really like the look of the FZR swingarm. :smt023
The parts should all go together pretty easy. You’ll probably only need a few shims and a couple of longer bolts. [smilie=rofl1.gif]

85RZwade

#8 Post by 85RZwade » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:36 am

In truth, the shock linkage is the only aspect that worries me; I have the rest of it worked out in my head. I don't have any of the FZR linkage, so I hope my collection of RZ and FZ bits will be sufficient. Worst case, I have a friend with a friend with a machine shop in his garage.
The thing is, this RZ is my only running, rideable street bike at the moment and I don't want to be without a bike when spring comes. If all goes according to plan, I'll finish my RD project by spring and be riding it.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#9 Post by two-stroke-brit » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:45 pm

nice upgrade for a reasonable amount of work.
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

85RZwade

#10 Post by 85RZwade » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:46 pm

It's already interesting. I need a bearing spacer for the TDR250 rear hub I'm using on an RD350 project; 17mm axle supplied by Motolana with the swingarm they made (TDR used a 15mm axle). Got my hands on pictures of the 3EN1 parts manual (in Japanese) and determined said spacer was used on the FZ600, FJ600, SRX600, YX600 Radian...and most FZR400s. Out of production, of course! Spent a couple of hours looking, almost bought a used FJ sprocket carrier on eBay just to harvest the spacer from inside, and finally was sent a lead to Megazip. Not the best reputation to begin with, and the reviews ON THEIR OWN SITE sent me running for the exit. Found it on Impex Japan for just under $14, with freight charges TBA. I'll report on the success of this little international transaction.

85RZwade

#11 Post by 85RZwade » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:45 pm

There is no joy in Mudville, gentle readers. First, Impex messaged me that the spacer is OUT OF PRODUCTION and no longer available. Like I didn't know that. I couldn't bring myself to try again with Megazip, who also claim to have it in stock, so I got an entire FZ600 sprocket carrier coming via eBay. I will now own 3 FZ600 sprocket carriers, so it'll be back to ebay to flog some unneeded stuff.
Next, I made it out to the barn and pulled the rear wheel off of the CBR; now, I had convinced myself through a documented mental process known clinically as witless optimism that the CBR axle was going to be 17mm, just like the FZR. Easy-peasy, right? :smt045

:smt019 OK, so there are really two options: modify the FZR parts (axle adjusters, caliper carrier and, gulp, swingarm slots) to 20mm, or source wheel and sprocket carrier bearings, internal spacer and axle of 17mm diameter. I'm going to replace the bearings either way, so that's a wash, but it would be nice to use the CBR axle and spacers that I have already paid for. On the other hand, there's the moral dilemma of permanently modifying kinda rare parts. I'll probably get over it, although I can probably expect some pushback from the purists :smt014

Another hope, based on nothing but optimism, was that the sprocket would be a 520 and roughly the tooth count needed:

:smt013 thank you for playing, no. Still a 530 and 48 teeth. On the bright side, a 40 tooth aluminum 520 conversion sprocket is (apparently) readily available, from a distributor from whom I get a nice discount via my employer :smt001

I do not, however, have a sweet discounted source for OEM Honda parts. WTF?? those aren't even the same worn-out dampers! Junk. I count three different dampers in there! :smt018
If it were easy, anybody could do it, right? :smt047

85RZwade

#12 Post by 85RZwade » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:32 am

So A) I bought a used FZ600 sprocket carrier on eBay to get the bearing spacer and it's just right. Furthermore, it's the same as an RZ bearing spacer in all dimensions except ID: FZ=17mm, RZ=15mm.
B) I decided to utilize the Honda parts and modify the Yamaha parts. Ordered new wheel bearings and seals for the Honda rear wheel; most of it has arrived. As usual, I checked my sweet stash before buying, which is usually like letting Honey check for discounts during eBay checkout: it never works, but it doesn't cost anything but a little time, so why not? I had two Honda bearings, new in bags, that I've been dragging around for 25 years...CBR600F2 front wheel bearings! Money saved :smt043

85RZwade

#13 Post by 85RZwade » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:49 am

Bearings and seals are all here, as is a shop manual. I effed up and ordered a rear sprocket for an ATC250R and various Honda sport quads :smt011 , and the CBR600 sprocket I was after is only offered with 43 teeth. May have to drop a tooth or two on the (probably offset and $$) front sprocket to compensate. Alas...just get it done, right? :smt027

85RZwade

#14 Post by 85RZwade » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:38 pm

So this week I ordered the 43-tooth sprocket and commissioned the boring of some aluminum stock to 20mm for axle spacers. I was thinking of mocking up the CBR wheel in the FZR swingarm this weekend, but the axle went to the machinist for the axle spacer job.