another rz/fz/fzr

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

kpke
-----
-----

another rz/fz/fzr

#1 Post by kpke » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:20 am

A little while back I bought a load of rz stuff for spare parts. The load filled the back of the dear wifes mini van. There was a lot of stuff.

Not shown are 2 sets of barrels and one head, a "spare" motor with the top end off, another polished fz swinger, tons of brand new parts (spec 2 carbs, spec 2 rear sets, vforce reeds, etc.), a brand new rebuilt motor (never been run). This motor was rebuilt by Bakersfield Yamaha, has new wisecos, all new trans bearings, crank was redone. etc. It will be torn apart and resealed as this work was all done about 10 years ago.

Remember I bought this for "spare" parts, sell off some stuff and keep the motor, the toomeys, the lomas pipes. I was going to put all the fz/fzr stuff on my yellow bike to "upgrade" it. But I have been riding the heck out of that thing lately and it is convenient to have a beater to ride around.

So Sunday I had a little time and the wife comes out in the garage. What are you doing...

So it appears that another rz350 has been born again.

I will have lots of questions beginning with brakes. I have put the front brakes on since the photos. I am a little confused on the rear brakes and the shock is hitting the swingarm (are you out there offroad?). Need to go for now though.

JonW

#2 Post by JonW » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:26 am

Hee hee superb! Love the look. Early R6 front forks?
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

kpke
-----
-----

#3 Post by kpke » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:44 pm

No, the forks are fzr600.

Back to the shock hitting the swingarm. This pic shows the coil spring jammed up against the rectangular brace.

I have studied vespaman's (hopefully you will see this and be able to comment) web site and the site that he pulled info from. I think the correct linkage parts are being used here. The rz part from the frame to the shock and the fz split part that bolts together going from the swingarm to the shock.

The center to center mounting points of the shock are about the same as the the stock shock and another fox shock I have. The coil on this one is slightly bigger diameter, about 3/16", but not enough to jam it in to the swing arm as much as it is.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

So then I thought I would put the sprocket on the wheel. Needs some adjustments. Is there any reason Yamaha used the studs here with the nuts? Can I get some high shear bolts and lock washers to bolt the sprocket on or would this not be strong enough?

Thanks for your help.

ricar

#4 Post by ricar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 pm

I can't see bolts being any different than studs. You can use nylocks on studs, but then the stud is still threaded into the hub same as a bold would...
84 RZ. Half naked, SpecIIs, GSXR front end, FZ swingarm, SV rear wheel, trail tech speedo/tach

silverstrom

#5 Post by silverstrom » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:01 am

kpke wrote:
So then I thought I would put the sprocket on the wheel. Needs some adjustments. Is there any reason Yamaha used the studs here with the nuts? Can I get some high shear bolts and lock washers to bolt the sprocket on or would this not be strong enough?

Do you have the nuts on the sprocket side just for the test fitting? I'm only asking because normally they go on the inside of the hub.

kpke
-----
-----

#6 Post by kpke » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:11 am

I am not sure what you mean silverstrom. This is an after market alu sprocket but I would not think that would matter. There are studs that go in to the wheel, the sprocket slides over the studs, then the nuts go on.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

kpke
-----
-----

#7 Post by kpke » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:12 am

Keep in mind these are fzr parts.

silverstrom

#8 Post by silverstrom » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:19 am

Sorry. I was thinking RZ hub where the nuts would be on inside of the hub.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#9 Post by aaronmvrider » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:41 am

are the studs threaded into the hub, how are they secured ???
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

ricar

#10 Post by ricar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Probably the same same as my GSXR. Heads that sit in slots not really studs, and not heads that take a wrench. I think all you could do is trim them.
84 RZ. Half naked, SpecIIs, GSXR front end, FZ swingarm, SV rear wheel, trail tech speedo/tach

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#11 Post by aaronmvrider » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:51 pm

???? knock the studs out and put some bolts in with washer and nyloc locking nut with loctite would this work for you
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

silverstrom

#12 Post by silverstrom » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:49 pm

ricar wrote:Probably the same same as my GSXR. Heads that sit in slots not really studs, and not heads that take a wrench. I think all you could do is trim them.
Too bad the stud, or whatever it is, doesn't sit in a hex pattern inside the hub. If it did you could use a bolt mounted from the sprocket side and recess the nut in the inner recess.

Off Road
-----
-----

#13 Post by Off Road » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Hey kpke. Nice purchase on the “partsâ€￾ and congratulations on the birth of your new RZ.

I like the look of the new bike already.

As for the Shock hitting the swing arm.
From the pictures I see 2 things. Maybe.
It might just be the camera angles or it might be my poor eyesight.

The diameter of the spring looks big.
The OD of a stock RZ350 shock is 2.75â€￾.
The OD of my Works shock is 3â€￾.
The OD of my Ohlins shock is also 3â€￾. (Best guess as this shock was measured on the bike)

The other thing that your FZ600 dog-bones (from swing-arm to shock) look different
than the ones on my bike. In the picture yours look shorter.
The center to center distance on my dog-bones is 4.5â€￾.

I looked at shortening my dog-bones in order to regain some ride height,
but if I did then I would run into the same problem of the shock hitting the swing-arm cross-brace.

Sent you a PM on a different subject.

pscook

#14 Post by pscook » Sat May 01, 2010 12:58 am

aaronmvrider wrote:are the studs threaded into the hub, how are they secured ???
The studs are threaded into the hub and secured with loctite. Typically threads for studs are cut with a tighter tolerance, thus creating friction and making the studs hard to remove. It is easy to remove the studs (two nuts jammed together on the stud, use the lower nut to thread the studs out), and then run a tap through the holes to open the tolerance a touch. Then just use button head fasteners to hold the sprocket on. I'm too lazy to unbury my RZ and snap some pics, but I have an FZR400 wheel in an FZ swinger and button head socket drive bolts hold that baby together nicely. Socket drive is the fancy way of saying "Allen head" bolts.
2011 GasGas XC300 Enduro

kpke
-----
-----

#15 Post by kpke » Sat May 01, 2010 2:00 am

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the sprocket and the studs, I am pretty sure I can get away with using bolts with lock washers and blue loctite. If anyone knows any reason why this should not be done for this application please speak up.

The shock hitting the swingarm...

Off Road I think you got it. (And thanks for the PM.)

After work today I took it apart again. Here is a line up of another fox shock on the left, a stock shock in the center, and the "new" one on the right.

The left fox and the stocker are about 3" diameter. The new one is about 3.2".

I put the stock one in and it did the same thing, it hit the swing arm.

Then I put the other fox shock in and it did the same thing, it hit the swing arm.

In this pic you can see that I can't even get the bolt hole to line up.

I shortened that shock as short as it would go and the holes lined up a bit better but still not all the way and the shock still hit the brace on the swingarm.

Then I looked a little closer at the links that attach to the swingarm. They have been welded on.

It appears that they have been cut and then welded.

Tomorrow I'll measure them and compare to Off Roads dimensions (thanks), but I am sure they have been shortened. Looks like I'll need replacements.

So the other big concern I have with this "new" fox shock is the coil spring on it is about six turns vs. ~4 .5 on the stocker and the "old" fox AND the coil material is about .040 bigger diameter. I don't think this thing is going to budge with my 170 lbs. on it. I guess I'll find out later.

Thanks again for the help!!!