Honda Hawk GTZ 350 Hybrid (Hawkgt 650 RZ Engine)

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Brianut

Honda Hawk GTZ 350 Hybrid (Hawkgt 650 RZ Engine)

#1 Post by Brianut » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:27 pm

well I figured I might actually post here and share my project.

Had been wanting a 2 stroke engined street bike with something in more modern style for quite some time now.

didnt know where to begin, did some research and started aquiring parts and bikes, made a few trades, sold some stuff bought some more and am making decent progress.

Here we go:

Mid December 2011.
Made the quick trip from Denver down to Albuquerque NM on a saturday to trade my "too clean to tear apart" Hawk for another Hawk forum members almost too far to bring back Hawk and a full race prepped RZ350.

Sunday after getting some much needed sleep after the 14 hour road trip on sat I woke up, popped a monster energy and started unloading and making room in the garage.

decided since I cant afford(according to my mrs) a nice hydraulic stand I built me a wood one. Redneck engineering at its finest.
Best part is since I am a pack rack it cost me nothing but some time. most material was wood leftover from my deck remodel last year.

not purty but will be nice to keep from being bent over for the whole time this project is happening.

Here is the new stand

with the Hawk up on it moves around quite easy and is 23" tall, I think it will work very nicely

here is the donor RZ (when it was in its hayday of racing)

The Honda CBR600RR front end that arrived just before xmas
Sooo purty

I decided I had to fire up the RZ and take it for a quick spin just to get an idea what I was in for since Ive never ridden one.

Battery rigged from my SV, temp fuel tank. added some water to the radiator and fired it up.
main jets were a little big as it is jetted for 1600 feet and I am at 6000, so as soon as it started to come up on the pipe it started to fall flat but let me tell you this thing is going to produce some smiles when all done in the hawk and tuned properly for this elevation. man I can't wait.

I told my wife i will see her in March sometime, and if she needs me to look in the garage. :smt003

Hawk up and starting the tear down

dropped the hawk motor,
got the RZ motor kinda up in there, the front bolt for the hawk engine actualy lines up perfect with the front mount on the rz motor.

looks good n there though and it at least 1/3 lighter than the hawk engine.

also testing a rashed RC51 tail i had kickin around the garage.

Brianut

#2 Post by Brianut » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:42 pm

this pic was before I lowered the rear of the engine so the CS sprocket is a bit high

it looks good from the side but is a bit wide looking from the top or back.
Like a girl with large hips and no upper, looks out of proportion.

thinking an RS 125 tail will look better with the stock tank
I guess i just need to get a RS125 tail and just see what works.

Brianut

#3 Post by Brianut » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 pm

had a few weeks where life was too crazy to get much done but I have spent some time in the garage and have the radiator mounted and it turned out great.

Got the left engine cover cut down to fit.
Was playing with the exhaust and realize Iam in way over my head.

was put in touch with Slinger here for that, and as most know he cranks out nice stuff.

My goal is basically underengine chambers with duals exiting under the tail.
However I am impatiently waiting the results of the 2-1 chamber he built to see how it performs as I think it would look unreal on this project.

I would then be able to run a cheaper 4 stroke single muffler, instead of having to have custom duals made
(my stingers will need to be larger due to the added length and bends to go under the tail)

then the big question:
Raw or the nickel coated/chrome.

I like both alot.
The chrome would look nice but I dont want it to be too blingy, but also dont want the raw to look unfinished with everything else hopefully so clean.

I ended up finding my tail it is a RC211V tail sized to fit the NSF100 bikes from Honda, and measures out really nice with the smallish size of this bike.

I am pretty sure mine will be red hawk tank with red rc211 tail, with white decals.

White wheels
black engine,frame and swinger powdered black.
gold USD forks, black headlight bucket.
Carbon front fender, carbo heel plates on Tyga rearsets (and likely powder the rearsets black too)
The muffler/s will be carbon coming out from under the tail.

So this is where I am at and will hopefully be getting my tail soon so I can mount it and get it ready to send up to slinger for some custom pipes.

trying to get all of the leftover RZ stuff ready to sell as well as get rid of as much Hawk stuff i dont need to fund things.

I plan to be riding this thing by summer, it may not be pretty by then but I want to be able to ride it.

really need to get some more pictures as I have made some progress and havent kept track. Shame on me.

Hopefully I wont get too much flack for puting the RZ engine in a Honda Chassis, its just how it worked out.

Vollegaaz

#4 Post by Vollegaaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:21 pm

interesting project !

This old RZ

#5 Post by This old RZ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Theres a guy here,who used to have a bad ass hawk GT ..it looked exactly like a scaled down rc30 the way he had it set up,with the paint and bodywork..He also had a very wicked RZ,youve probably seen pics posted the yellow RZ with orig fairing CB600 wheels and Lomas pipes?
anyways his hawk was really,cool

pushstartrearset
-----
-----

#6 Post by pushstartrearset » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm

really nice. so what's the solution? A shorter rear shock for the height difference and a wider tail section? Or do you just have to drop the rear of the motor and mount it that way?

Like that fact that the front mount lines up...the easier the better IMHO!!!

Looks good to me...that should really be nice if the sprockets line up.

good looking. doesn't look frankenstein, if you know what I mean.

got a shot of the right side w/ the motor in place?

Brianut

#7 Post by Brianut » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:59 pm

pushstartrearset wrote:really nice. so what's the solution? A shorter rear shock for the height difference and a wider tail section? Or do you just have to drop the rear of the motor and mount it that way?

Like that fact that the front mount lines up...the easier the better IMHO!!!

Looks good to me...that should really be nice if the sprockets line up.

good looking. doesn't look frankenstein, if you know what I mean.

got a shot of the right side w/ the motor in place?
no short shock, I was able to use some triangular brackets from a ZX1100 I parted out and it lowered the rear of the engine to get the sprocket within about 4mm of the height of the Hawk CS Sprocket, I think it will be just fine now.

strangely I have no pics of the right side, I will get some up to date ones this weekend, and yes I am really pleased how it is turning out.

Almost as if it was made to fit in there, I will get pics with the radiator mounted too.

steveloomis
-----
-----

#8 Post by steveloomis » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Sounds very interesting, I will be following your progress.
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

RuZty
-----
-----

#9 Post by RuZty » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Nice project you have going there, I recall seeing one of these online years ago. Like the old Bronco in the background too!

(twilight zone moment, I posted this on the morning of the 11th, after the 2 posts below were up!)

KR-RZ350
-----
-----

#10 Post by KR-RZ350 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:54 am

Cool project. Glad to see another RZ in Colorado.

Brianut

#11 Post by Brianut » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 am

more pics and updates

Rigth side as requested
this is with the stock subframe and my old 916 Duc seat that I kept when I sold it

some shots of the radiator

and a good shot of the right side with the Mag cover trimmed to fit by the CS sprocket

pulled the subframe and am continuing work on the wiring and mounting of components for electrical system will get a pic of it soon.

also spent some time going throught the RZ to get pictures to get ready to sell it.

Brianut

#12 Post by Brianut » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:34 pm

RuZty wrote:Nice project you have going there, I recall seeing one of these online years ago. Like the old Bronco in the background too!

(twilight zone moment, I posted this on the morning of the 11th, after the 2 posts below were up!)
yeah thats strange, I noticed that too.
yeah the Bronco is another passion and money pit area of mine.
I told my wife if we got rid of it I would have more room in the garage for more bikes as well as the money to work on them...did not go over well as the bikes are for me only and the Bronco takes the Fam out for fun :smt001

lt1bird

#13 Post by lt1bird » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Loving this....looks like a great swap.... a bolt in :) wait till you get to the pipes.... you will need a whole more of those bud light cans LOL

JonW

#14 Post by JonW » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:45 pm

wow, something different! cool project. interested to hear how this one goes. :smt001
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

Brianut

#15 Post by Brianut » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:28 pm

lt1bird wrote: wait till you get to the pipes.... you will need a whole more of those bud light cans LOL
I was going to try but it just isnt worth the time, to have something either come out marginal on the performance side or look terrible or both.

Slinger will be getting some US dollars converted to Can bucks for that.

I wont be able to afford Beer for awhile after that but I will have the coolest pipes in my zip code :smt001