RZ/RD 350 & Misc. 2-Stroke Tech BBS

Technical Forums for Two-Stroke Nuts
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm 
-----
-----

If you live in the US this won't matter to you, but anyone that has bought stuff on eBay that gets shipped through their Global Shipping Program will notice a few things.
-You get charged twice, once for the item and shipping to the GSP hub in Erlanger Kentucky, and once for Pitney Bowes who run the system to send it to you. This also covers import charges so you shouldn't get any surprises at your door.
-The tracking number you originally get only tracks the item to Erlanger, KY where it appears to have found a new home.
-A new tracking number shows up on the bay listing, maybe starting in UPAA###, which doesn't work in any of the carriers tracking websites.
-You may or may not get an email from the GSP to let you know what is going on. I have had packages show up that were still shown as being in Kentucky.

Solutions;
Use this link and paste in the UPAA# and you will actually get a current status;
https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

You can also call Pitney Bowes directly at 1-866-235-9627 and they will give you a tracking number and carrier info you can actually use.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 pm 

Erm....what was the point of this? eBay ships everything to a hub where it is then redirected to you. Free service (maybe) to expand sales for US sellers to international. Overall not a bad option.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:18 pm 
-----
-----

Yes, and once it reaches there you have no idea where your package is for several days unless they choose to inform you or it shows up. Using the link above I knew my package had cleared customs and was in Mississauga due for delivery the next day while eBay were still telling me it was in Kentucky. They don't provide the link or the phone number, I came across them while trying to figure out why my package showed delivered and I didn't have it.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:39 pm 
-----
-----

I have bought 40 or 50 items off of Ebay, (Not using the Global Shipping Program),
and I have Never had to pay any import charges, as long as the item is shipped in the mail by USPS.

If I buy something and don't use the Global Shipping Program, I pay nothing in import charges.
If I buy an item using the Global Shipping Program, I end up paying an extra $20 or $30.

Therefore, I Never buy anything that uses the global shipping program.

IMO, it's just another way for Ebay to grab extra money for every item that's sent outside of the US.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:14 pm 

Its ebays way of earning more money from their ebay platform, its costs more (usually) when overseas and takes waaay long. I had an item ship from Hawaii to the hub in Kentucky and then to Aus... thats pointless and wasting time.

Like Watches? You will love www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:31 pm 
-----
-----

I agree, I seldom get charged import duty on anything coming through the post office, but this particular item only shipped that way and at least the charges are listed up front vs. the raping you get at your door from UPS. On the good side it was about a hundred dollars (about 80%) cheaper than anyone else and shipping was way less too, before GSP, so I still got a great deal. I was mainly wanting to point out how you actually can track your package once it disappears into that system.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:23 am 
-----
-----

Only one out of ten parcels get checked by the custom in Montreal and if you're the unlucky one you will not be collected if it's a gift or below a certain value ( think it's $60. but not sure ) so I always ask the seller to write on the custom declaration that it's a gift of low value .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 am 

Good info RuZty.
I wasn't sure what impact the extra "import" charge would have on some Ebay auctions.
I have stayed clear of auctions that had the extra charge.
Good to know what to expect if I do end having to to through the Global Shipping Program and how to track it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:42 pm 

Aussies pls note: From july 1st ebay will start charging 10% on all sales outside of Aus (maybe inside too) using this part of the ebay system.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:21 am 
-----
-----

Well, there is no added 10% on parts for sale thread on this form - meaning the bits I've purchased fm form members. Thats encouraging but does not of course cover all the parts needed. Off to swaps (haven't attended one yet) and bone yards.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:17 am 

Fuck ebay....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:45 am 

L.B wrote:
Fuck ebay....

Agree but sometimes it's the only choice
:smt013

Tarozzi fork brace
Brembo 19 RCS Master ss lines blue spots EBC Vees
Spec 2 Full Fairing factory Solo Cowl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:05 pm 

Not worth their time to charge you on every parcel.

You really 'owe' 5% gst to the gov't plus duty at whatever the prevailing rate is.

This is the gov't giving you a break since the cost to administer is too great (I assume) versus eBay screwing you.

The intention of the program is to allow items the seller will not sell outside of country to be sold to a wider audience thus why they go through a hub in the USA first.

Always find it funny when people 'assume' nefarious intentions.

eBay already charges 8-10% final value and will now be charging 5% gst on those fees for Cdn sellers. They make their money on volume which they can ramp up by increasing customer base.

Not sure if you have looked at USPS rates to Canada but they are not cheap. Basically same price as going to Europe. I believe Canada Post is ultimately the ones to blame.

Off Road wrote:
I have bought 40 or 50 items off of Ebay, (Not using the Global Shipping Program),
and I have Never had to pay any import charges, as long as the item is shipped in the mail by USPS.

If I buy something and don't use the Global Shipping Program, I pay nothing in import charges.
If I buy an item using the Global Shipping Program, I end up paying an extra $20 or $30.

Therefore, I Never buy anything that uses the global shipping program.

IMO, it's just another way for Ebay to grab extra money for every item that's sent outside of the US.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:10 pm 

Interesting points Evan and reminds me how different ebay is for sellers around the world. Fees are 10% here + the new 1% GST for online services our govt just introduced, so 11%... and thats on the sale price and also the post price.

Our import limit remains unchanged (for now) at $1000 declared valve, however if you buy a 10c item online it will cost you 11c as 10% gst is added if the seller is in the program, but if you find an overseas business that isnt grabbing the GST for the Aussie govt there is no extra 10% added... again, for now. Its early days, the new systems when in 1st of this month. I found that Wemoto started adding GST about 2/3rd the way through June, cheeky fekrs. Not all suppliers are on the program luckily... pays to shop around.

One thing Ive always found is that in-country postals randomly select parcels for tax+duty, but Fed Ex and their ilk always charge as they make money on the 'fee' portion that they add, worth knowing if youre sending things.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:04 am 

Didn't the eBay gst get delayed for another year Jon?

TBH the global shipping worked week for me, I received a birdcage, light, mask rear number plate holder and tail light out of the UK for about $30 AUD

It also arrived in just over a week

There are other examples though where you can that the freight charge is just plain wrong