RZ/RD 350 & Misc. 2-Stroke Tech BBS

Technical Forums for Two-Stroke Nuts
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm 
-----
-----

If you live in the US this won't matter to you, but anyone that has bought stuff on eBay that gets shipped through their Global Shipping Program will notice a few things.
-You get charged twice, once for the item and shipping to the GSP hub in Erlanger Kentucky, and once for Pitney Bowes who run the system to send it to you. This also covers import charges so you shouldn't get any surprises at your door.
-The tracking number you originally get only tracks the item to Erlanger, KY where it appears to have found a new home.
-A new tracking number shows up on the bay listing, maybe starting in UPAA###, which doesn't work in any of the carriers tracking websites.
-You may or may not get an email from the GSP to let you know what is going on. I have had packages show up that were still shown as being in Kentucky.

Solutions;
Use this link and paste in the UPAA# and you will actually get a current status;
https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

You can also call Pitney Bowes directly at 1-866-235-9627 and they will give you a tracking number and carrier info you can actually use.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 pm 

Erm....what was the point of this? eBay ships everything to a hub where it is then redirected to you. Free service (maybe) to expand sales for US sellers to international. Overall not a bad option.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:18 pm 
-----
-----

Yes, and once it reaches there you have no idea where your package is for several days unless they choose to inform you or it shows up. Using the link above I knew my package had cleared customs and was in Mississauga due for delivery the next day while eBay were still telling me it was in Kentucky. They don't provide the link or the phone number, I came across them while trying to figure out why my package showed delivered and I didn't have it.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:39 pm 
-----
-----

I have bought 40 or 50 items off of Ebay, (Not using the Global Shipping Program),
and I have Never had to pay any import charges, as long as the item is shipped in the mail by USPS.

If I buy something and don't use the Global Shipping Program, I pay nothing in import charges.
If I buy an item using the Global Shipping Program, I end up paying an extra $20 or $30.

Therefore, I Never buy anything that uses the global shipping program.

IMO, it's just another way for Ebay to grab extra money for every item that's sent outside of the US.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:14 pm 

Its ebays way of earning more money from their ebay platform, its costs more (usually) when overseas and takes waaay long. I had an item ship from Hawaii to the hub in Kentucky and then to Aus... thats pointless and wasting time.

Like Watches? You will love www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:31 pm 
-----
-----

I agree, I seldom get charged import duty on anything coming through the post office, but this particular item only shipped that way and at least the charges are listed up front vs. the raping you get at your door from UPS. On the good side it was about a hundred dollars (about 80%) cheaper than anyone else and shipping was way less too, before GSP, so I still got a great deal. I was mainly wanting to point out how you actually can track your package once it disappears into that system.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:23 am 
-----
-----

Only one out of ten parcels get checked by the custom in Montreal and if you're the unlucky one you will not be collected if it's a gift or below a certain value ( think it's $60. but not sure ) so I always ask the seller to write on the custom declaration that it's a gift of low value .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 am 

Good info RuZty.
I wasn't sure what impact the extra "import" charge would have on some Ebay auctions.
I have stayed clear of auctions that had the extra charge.
Good to know what to expect if I do end having to to through the Global Shipping Program and how to track it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:42 pm 

Aussies pls note: From july 1st ebay will start charging 10% on all sales outside of Aus (maybe inside too) using this part of the ebay system.

Like Watches? You will love www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com