RZ/RD 350 & Misc. 2-Stroke Tech BBS

Technical Forums for Two-Stroke Nuts
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:25 pm 

This 1,373 mile 1985 RZ350 is currently up for bidding on ebay. 145 watchers so far... and 2 bid retractions. Uh oh.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183426713150?_ ... 1758.m4704

Unfortunately, the seller is not posting the photo of the gas tank. Definitely not "AS-NEW" in that category, but a super clean mostly unmolested example otherwise. Just a bummer the tank was not stored properly.

The seller (a Florida flipper) claims his brother threw away the original tires, but the bike checks out as being the miles it is. Couple things of note though - the exhaust was repainted, the rear brake pedal is a replacement, and the one rubber damper on the frame by the petcock has a black zip tie. Also, the screws that would hold on the nose fairing are being used at the gauge mounting bracket. So the bike has been played with some.

But still worth $7500 all day... will be interesting if it gets much higher than that given it is a private listing auction (why sellers do that we all know why - to hide shill bidders).

Still super nice though. But the tank being that way hurts its value.

Attachments:
RZ_tank_1373.jpg
RZ_tank_1373.jpg [ 69.48 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:41 pm 

Love how he has this in the remarks:

"Fuel tank is like new on the inside as well"

:smt031

$8,750 buy it now price posted.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:44 pm 

Funny, I got him to send a photo of the gas tank, but here is the response a buddy then got today:

"lost the owners manual,no video, dont know if person before me replaced fork seals but no leaks anywhere.previous owner put tires on so dont know when that was.they still have the tits and no checking-prob like 2 years old if i had to speculate.I dont have the originals.no compression check.no proof of miles except its obvious when you look at the bike. didnt take photo of gas cap off. no cracks in plastic.no tabs broken.clear title signed out from previous owner.I mainly just displayed the bike so there was no reason to pay taxes.lol.replying as courtesy as I might accept local cash offer tomorrow morning.If I do you will see the ad cancelled.thanks

Buy it now was lowered to $8500 today...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 pm 

What I find amusing is that this guy, with a feedback of 11 and none of it as a seller, goes out of his way to warn others with low feedback. :smt044

Also the broken side stand switch rubber cover. Such an obvious defect and so easy to fix. If you can't fix the easy stuff, why should we assume the rest is as you say :smt017

1986 NS400R
1987 TZR250
1988 Honda RC31
2007 DL650 VStrom
2014 Triumph Thruxton Modified

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 pm 

Even with the issues you all have pointed out, have any of you seen an example that was in better shape? I'd be tempted to buy the Brand New tank seen on eBay for $2k, a $75 kick stand switch, and put the bike in my living room! If I were a Yamaha dealer, I'd buy it as a show piece for the sales floor. It would look nice next to a super-clean 84 V-MAX.

A modest "high" can be obtained by listening carefully to the sound of a 2-stroke hitting the fat part of the powerband while inhaling cool fall air tainted by the exhaust scent of VP-C12 and Golden Spectro, mixed at 24:1.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:07 am 

Says it sold for $8500 USD.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 am 

NADA says a mint USA 1985 RZ350 is worth 10k. I guess if you could scoop up the perfect new tank for $1500 they are right on the money.

A modest "high" can be obtained by listening carefully to the sound of a 2-stroke hitting the fat part of the powerband while inhaling cool fall air tainted by the exhaust scent of VP-C12 and Golden Spectro, mixed at 24:1.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 pm 

Still super shady sending one person a picture of a rusty tank, describing as new then refusing to send the photo to someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:13 pm 

evan_calgary wrote:
Still super shady sending one person a picture of a rusty tank, describing as new then refusing to send the photo to someone else.

Yeah, I get it....he's selling the bike as if he is the original owner too. What's the motto? "if his lips are moving, he's lying."
Hear me out......
You LOVE a nice RZ350, right?. You LOVE 2-stroke smoke, AND, You don't care that it isn't YELLOW, right?
So, when you show up at his door and the bike isn't as described, you decline based on false representation in the auction. Then you negotiate or you walk away.

HOWEVER, If that bike is as good as it looks in pictures, if there is no indication of a previous crash and no indication of more than say 3k miles. If it runs right and you spend the $8500 to get it knowing there is a NEW red and white tank on eBay for about $2k.....does his being a shady sales guy really matter?

All-in, with a new tank bought at eBay, for $10,500 plus transpo, you could have just picked up a bike that can't be replaced. That bike could very well be the only one of it's kind in that condition, for sale in the United States or elsewhere!

I bought my 85 RZ350 NEW in 1986. There was a $500 rebate at the time. I paid full sticker less rebate = $1999. I have the bill of sale, the original title the original pipes, the tool kit, the manual, the piece of plastic mounting tab that broke off the left side panel. I have a solo seat cowl that's still in a wrapper. I installed a Toomey Pipe/Jet kit in 1987, a Fox shock, and stiff Race Tech Fork springs and a new OEM fuel tank and braided front lines in 1994. I do my own work on the bike and it's a labor I love to do. My bike has only been ridden 10k miles with the top end refreshed at 8k. I store my bike inside and I keep it pretty clean. It gets driven about 100 miles a summer. I insure it for $8500. I wouldn't part with it for $15k!

I looked at those pictures on eBay and saw the selling price of $8500. For selfish reasons, I was disappointed it didn't sell for more. Even with an undisclosed rusty tank.